Question about resin kits

General Model Discussion

Question about resin kits

Postby RickW on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Gentlemen,
Since this is my first time working with resin kits a thought popped in my head and I looked for info on hear and Youtube but couldn't find an answer. I have cleaned all resin parts really well to get the mold release off to start sanding. But here is my question.

Would it be easier to see what needs sanding if I spray on a coat of primer first to help the flaws stand out more or should I just start sanding the areas that really need it first and then look for the areas that need less sanding?

My concern is if I need to fill gaps or holes after I primer and sand, will the putty stick or not stick to the primer. Any tips, tricks or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rick
RickW
Probie

Re: Question about resin kits

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Whether it's plastic or resin, a coat of primer first will always let you see the flaws. If there are obvious ones that you can see before priming take care of them before you prime. You may still see some remnants of the places that need fixing but the primer will definitely help. I've done both resin and plastic. Warm water and soap will take off most mold release residue but many guys swear by Wesley's Bleech White.
I use both Squadron and Tamiya putties and have had no problem with either of them working well on a primed surface.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Question about resin kits

Postby RickW on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks Charlie! I just wanted to make sure. I bought the Squadron putty and used it on my Johnny Gage figure, he had an air bubble in the chin. Did you get my email this week? I've been having trouble with it going to people's junk mail.
RickW
Probie

Return to The Truck Bay