T.Showers fire cabs INFO.UPDATE

General Model Discussion

T.Showers fire cabs INFO.UPDATE

Postby AMT4EVR on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:13 pm

GREETINGS fellow builders, just wanted too let everyone know, that with your help and comments plus the research from this site, I can confirm that the fire cabs are indeed the builds of Tom`s it all matches 100% from the heat welds, treadplate, and even the hand painted door lettering. Little did I ever know, that a box of old AMT A.L.F. parts would have such a treasure just sitting there on the bottom. To those of you who sent me a PM, I made the attempt to contact all of you, but your info came back as "invalid/not in database system" why, I don`t know ??. So I`ll keep in touch with you this way just in case I have anymore questions about Tom. THANKS AGAIN ...... RED firetrucks forever!!!!! .... John :)
AMT4EVR

Re: T.Showers fire cabs INFO.UPDATE

Postby FireModelExactatude on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Would appreciate some photo's!

John
John A. Ackerman
FireModelExactatude
Firefighter

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes! that would be nice.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby GLMFAA1 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I want thank John and deeply appreciative of his generosity as I am now the proud curator of these artifacts of fire model building history.
Anyone can connect the history of these builds please add to this
and once again thanks John, they arrived safe and sound
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby sacmankc135 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:25 pm

I posted a great deal of info on Tom's work on this site sometime back if anyone is interested. Old FireFan articles etc etc.,
sacmankc135

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Glad to see some more of Tom's work has survived. I did some restoration work on 3 of Tom's trucks that came via Bob Milnes and Tom Shand. They were returned after the restoration was complete.
Tom must have bought up all of the old 1/32 scale American LaFrance kits he could. All his rigs had the Aurora frames and wheels and tires. As you can see he also used a lot of detail parts from those kits. Some kits are still around but at a pretty steep price.
Just a little repair work to this Young Bison. All hand lettering in typical Showers style.
The Ahrens Fox came to me in a parts bag. Here are all of the parts sorted out. Some had to be replaced. But I tried to keep as much of Tom's work there as possible. The pump base was balsa wood. The radiator was clear resin. He turned the spot lights, headlights and large pressure dome from aluminum (or had them done, I forget which). Why he did not hollow out the lights, I don't know. Not much to do it really and he could have inserted clear plastic sheet lenses for a more realistic look. Nevertheless when you figure most of his work is scratch built it is quite remarkable.
The restored Fox.
Someone tried to repaint this Young Crusader a horrid black and orange. Quite a few parts missing when I got it. When I went to strip the paint it came off in large sheets! Tom never primed the plastic; just painted over it with whatever color he needed. I never had to sand or clean up any of it except for in the corners and other minor places.
Now it is back together. I did over the pump panel and added the railings on top of the cab, made a new bumper and rear view mirrors, headlights and siren using a Young Iconographx publication for reference.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby AMT4EVR on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 pm

You are most welcome Greg, so glad I could be of help. May the memory of Tom's builds carry on forever through all of us who build . So when one of those cabs goes to the barn for "re-firb and re-mount", please post us some photos.
RED trucks ....John
AMT4EVR

Postby Modelmaker on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Wow , Really nice rigs ....Tom really knew how to build rigs ....one of the all time masters.....Gary :D
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Return to The Truck Bay