Ward LaFrance P-80

General Model Discussion

Ward LaFrance P-80

Postby Lyonsperf on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:56 pm

As everyone probably knows by now i'm building a replica of my cousin's 1973 Ward P-80.

He sent me some very detailed pics of the rig, but I noticed that it is different from most of the P-80's I have found on the web.
His truck has a clear crossover from one side of the rig to the other behind the cab. The engine is mounted forward, into the cab with a diamond plate box that separates the driver from the officer. does anyone have interior pics of a rig like this?

I will have to modify the cab I got from cargostar to show this change. Just don't have any idea on what it looks like.
Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Re: Ward LaFrance P-80

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:22 pm

How about posting a picture of the rig so we can see what you mean,
Are you sure it's a Ward?
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Lyonsperf on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Postby traumahawk05 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Well, the reason that this doesn't match up with Dave's casting is because Freeport's Ward isn't a P-80, it is a P-85.

From GA_Dave at yngfire.com
"The P-85 differs from the typical WLF P-80 by the location of the motor. On a P-80, it was between the jumpseats, but on a P-85 it was between the driver and officer seats. WLF built less than 45 P-85's."

You will have to make a completely new interior for this P-85. I recommend getting to the rig, if it is still around, and take a lot of photos and measurements. I'm not sure if she still exists after her crash with truck company 218 on June 23, 1988.
traumahawk05

Postby Lyonsperf on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks!
Makes it a little easier to figure out.
Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Postby Lyonsperf on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Well I think I got it figured out.
I trimmed 5/16" from the front of the frame rails which moved the cab back to center the front axle in the Ward wheel wells.
Then I removed the radiator and front engine crossmembers.
I then re-installed the radiator crossmember 1" from the end of the frame rails.
The front engine crossmember was reinstalled 7/8" behind the radiator crossmember measured from front edge to front edge.
Lastly, I added a plastic tab on each inside rail to hold up the transmission. I will need to make a longer driveshaft.
Now I just need to make the engine cover and trim the cab interior to fit it.
Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Return to The Truck Bay