Cameras

General Model Discussion

Cameras

Postby Lyonsperf on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 am

What are most of you using to take pics of your models?
All I have now is my cell phone cam, but might buy something else if its within the budget.
Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Re: Cameras

Postby hookandladderno1 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:24 am

It is not so much a particular "brand" as much as the features that it has. You want to look for one that has a "macro" capability for getting in close to detail parts without losing focus. The next thing I would recommend investing in is lighting. It need not be expensive. I use inexpensive clip on lights with aluminum housings found in the hardware stores. Use either incandescent or "warm" flourescent bulbs. For a backdrop, I use a large tri-fold project board(cardboard) that kids use in school for projects. Get white or black, depending on the color of the majority of models you build. I then bought a few large sheets of paper from an arts/craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. drape it loosely against the tri-fold and you will have a gently curved surface without hard vertical angles. I place a piece of foam board on the desktop to provide an even, level surface for both the model and the tri-fold to rest on. Here are a few examples of photos using this setup:
hookandladderno1

Return to The Truck Bay