Flight copter idea

General Model Discussion

Flight copter idea

Postby AMT4EVR on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:40 pm

GREETINGS Builders,
I have in the kit collection, the 1985 release, of the MONOGRAM "RAMBO" combat chopper. My idea is to turn this into a flight rescue copter and other than removing the guns and bullet clips, there should not be to much more to do other than adding medical equipment.
Do I need to modify it any further than that ? your comments are always welcome. And if my memory serves me correct, this kit was also released by another company before MG . This is the only 1/24 scale huey copter that I know of.
THANKS..... John
AMT4EVR

Re: Flight copter idea

Postby GLMFAA1 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 pm

It can be done
The model is a little small for medevac as the cab area is small. major construction would be removal of the ammo boxes and construction of the seat and stretcher carriers behind the pilot's seats
another add on would be a water drop tank

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Aaronw on Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Firefighting is a more common use for the short body Hueys (Bell 204, UH-1B/C). I know Ventura Co, and the California Department of Forestry had them in the 1970s, I think LA County and City as well.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby dptydawg on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:03 am

I built this copter up as an Ontario Air Ambulance even though it is a bit too small for that purpose. I modified the interior by removing the ammo boxes and the rear bulkhead and building a new one. I also installed a curtain between the pilots and the medics. Its made from a nitrile glove

there is nothing like a camera flash to enhance the cobwebs

Carl
dptydawg
Engineer

Postby hookandladderno1 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Carl,
that came out really nice! I remember oogling over Greg's copters at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore several years ago! Fire service and medevac helicopters are becoming popular subjects lately. With the availability of kits and colorful paint schemes, a lot of guys are doing them. I have a few under construction as well as several "on the drawing board".

David
hookandladderno1

Postby explorer2770 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:36 pm

I started on one of these last year, but didn't get very far. Here's some of my reference info:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ventura-County-Sheriff/Bell-TH-1L-Iroquois/1498407/L/&sid=50e60d6d0a8bcb16b9dd12c94f2b436c

The first HEMS was the very small FH-1100 operated as Project CARE SOM.
explorer2770
Engineer

Postby hooknladderno1 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Brandon,
Have you been snooping on my computer? I recently started an an old Testor's Iroquois in Ventura County colors for my Bear Fire Rescue Department. The interior is very simple. I may modify the color distribution on mine. Pictures to follow...
I plan to build a whole fleet of fire/rescue rotorcraft for my department.

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Return to The Truck Bay