Couple of new toys

General Model Discussion

Couple of new toys

Postby Aaronw on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:58 am

While out of town for training I couldn't help myself and I popped into the local Harbor Freight.

I found a neat 2" chop saw. I haven't had time to really give it a complete work out, but did give it a quick session cutting some scraps. It seems to handle our sizes of wood and plastic easily and did ok cutting some brass rod.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini- ... 62136.html

Also found a nice 60 piece set of "wire gauge" drill bits #1 - #60 (0.228" - 0.040"). Finding a set of the smaller 61-80 sizes is fairly easy, but I've had to buy the larger sizes individually in the past. Nice to have them all in an indexed box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-pc-tita ... 61690.html
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Re: Couple of new toys

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 am

I found one of those chop saws a long while back and used it for a while. Haven't gotten it out in a long time. Did you happen to look for the set of 1/8" shank drill bits that come in a two pak? They are very small and can be brittle if you don't use them carefully but they are exceptional. Glad you had a successful find!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby hookandladderno1 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm

chariots of fire wrote:I found one of those chop saws a long while back and used it for a while. Haven't gotten it out in a long time. Did you happen to look for the set of 1/8" shank drill bits that come in a two pak? They are very small and can be brittle if you don't use them carefully but they are exceptional. Glad you had a successful find!

Hi Charlie,
Any feedback on the chopsaw? I had considered getting one a while back, but haven't seen them in my local store recently. Just curious... At your recommendation, I did pick up the 1/8" shank drill bits - exceptional!

David
hookandladderno1

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:48 am

Hi, David. Yes I used it for a while but I found that it was difficult to see exactly where the wheel was cutting the material. The one I have doesn't have a stop on it that can be adjusted so when I drew a mark on the tubing for example once the saw was in place to start cutting I had trouble seeing where the blade was. Since then I have relied on my K&S tubing cutter.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Aaronw on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Charlie, I'm not sure what the drills are you are talking about, must have missed them if they were shown here.

David these saws were not available for a while. I actually saw one last year, but they only had a damaged display model, and checking around found out they had been discontinued.

This one looks the same but has a new part number, and the girl at the store said they had just started getting them again. I don't know if they changed something or just changed the number when they started selling them again.
For $29 my expectations are not that high. I'm specifically looking at it for square tubing and solid stock bigger than what a knife can easily cut.

When I was trying to get one last year I was looking for reviews, and found several gun sites that mentioned them. Apparently they are somewhat popular with reloaders for cutting brass shell casings used with custom ammunition.

I have seen some modifications to add a stop to the end of the miter which could be helpful.

Here is a short video showing one someone made from a carriage bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJLTZWZ9_8

I've got one of the small tubing cutters Charlie mentioned, and they are great for round brass and aluminum tubing. I don't see mine getting put out of work.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby mdlbldrmatt135 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 pm

With HF, my experience seems to be the part number changes with each production run of the given tool. (Which could be a change in factory or something else as well)

I've been considering one of these as well... but then realized I've got a great variable speed metal cutting band saw that'll do the same work. So the next project is to make a base & table for the band saw. I do all sorts of Metal & woodworking in addition to models.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6232-20
mdlbldrmatt135
Engineer

Return to The Truck Bay