Making Tandem axle ALF trucks

General Model Discussion

Making Tandem axle ALF trucks

Postby explorer2770 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm curious to know what other modelers have used to make convert their ALF ladder and aero chief single axle rigs to tandem axle rigs. With the re-re-re-release of the AMT Aero Chief, I'm tempted to make a tandem axle quint using parts from the pumper kit. I'm just not sure which kit I need to source the tandem axle from, I'm leaning towards the White/Freightliner kits but not quite sure which kit to use.

Thanks for the advice!
explorer2770
Engineer

Re: Making Tandem axle ALF trucks

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Unless you are trying to be super correct as to what ALF may have used, it doesn't make a lot of difference which style you use so long as it all works. There are several kits out there that have tandem axle setups that you can use. The AMT Ford Dump Truck, KW, Pete kits all have tandem axles that can be adapted. The Mack kits have a different suspension that makes the distance between axles somewhat longer so check that out. When all is said and done you won't see much from the outside anyway so which one you pick is up to you. I'd probably settle for the walking beam suspension that has a central pivot point that allows both axles to travel up and down. The biggest concern is to make sure that the frame still sits nice and level from front to rear when axles and wheels are all glued in. Hope this helps.
As an aside when you get your tandem axles in place and are ready to do the body work make sure that the wheel well openings are smooth and follow the curvature of the tires. Try finding pix on line of tandem axle rear mounts and look at how the panels are done. They are not all the same depending on the manufacturer of the apparatus.
Hey GREG SMITH!! Chime in here will ya? You built one that has the look.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:28 pm

OK I'll chime in and suggest that the best tandem set is from the Ford LNT kits. The chassis has to be modified in the back as the frame is reduced and needs to be thickened, and the springs need to be placed on the sides of the frame and not like the kit placement. . I will do a 'how to' if you guys are interested

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby explorer2770 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:13 pm

I would be greatly interested in a how-to. I'm kicking around three tandem axle builds, a quint Aero Chief, a heavy foam tanker (pseudo-Airport chief), and a heavy rescue all on the 1000 series chassis.
explorer2770
Engineer

Postby EdselDan on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:37 pm

I have done a coupe Tandem conversions in 1/32 scale
with Monogram's MACK CF but the idea and conversion is the same
The Aerialscope project used 2 Pumper chassis and 2 sets of rear axles
I did remove the mount from one spring and adapt the other to have
a single mount for between both springs.
The Heavy Rescue used the Walking Beam set up from the R Semi Cab cab
Less work, BUT MAKE sure the 2 frames are STRAIGHT and SQUARE!!!

For the Most part here the tandems are 4 feet center to center.

I did convert an ALF to Tandem, But that is my Scratchbuilt Pioneer Snorkle in 1/32
I just used a scrapped Monogram kit semi for the suspension

I do want to do a couple 1/25 ALF tandems, But......
For a Ladder Chief want to convert it to a 4 segment 100 foot unit
For a Snorkle, Again, I would prefer to stretch the booms to the 95 foot unit

A Rescue or Airport Foam unit would be the easier build
so may look at those Ideas
I do have a few Parts lots of AMT ALF parts.
I did check the regional Hobby Lobby, but $60.oo (40.oo with 40% coupon is a Bit High
for me for the Aero Chief kit right now.
Dan from DelMarVa
My Photobucket:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/
It’s too late for when and how. People we must understand
child labour it has to end. Raise our voices, let’s all shout:
http://pocomokefire.com/
EdselDan
Captain
Captain

Return to The Truck Bay