Silhouette Cameo?

General Model Discussion

Silhouette Cameo?

Postby Aaronw on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Has anybody used a Silhouette Cameo for making stencils?

I've seen a bit about them on some aircraft forums, and they are potentially pretty handy. Not as simple to use as decals, but stencils have the advantage of using any color that you can get paint for including metallic and fluorescent paints. It appears the stencil art work is made in a similar way to making decals. It can also cut cardstock and thin plastic so may have some limited utility for scratch building parts.

The machine

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/cameo

Here is a post on an aircraft site showing what can be done with it

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... it/&page=1

I've seen comments that 4mm letters are not a problem which would be about right for our scale, 4-6" (4-6mm in scale)lettering being common for marking emergency vehicles.

It turns out my wife has also been looking at one of these for her hobbies, so we took advantage of their Black Friday sale (which actually goes until Dec 5th) and got ourselves a Christmas present. They have the Cameo bundled with their stamp maker and some accessories for $249 which is less than the Cameo's normal retail price ($299).

They also have the Portrait which is a lower level machine in a bundle for $99, instead of the normal $199.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/blackfriday
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Re: Silhouette Cameo?

Postby Gator52 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:51 pm

I'm not familiar with it, but I'd be curious to hear how your experience with it is.

Jonah
Gator52
Engineer

Postby Aaronw on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:06 pm

At the moment it is under the Christmas tree taunting me. I will post something once I've had a chance to work with it.

I'm very curious myself.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby explorer2770 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Aaron, you should be good to go once you open up that box. If you look at the Infiniti chief car, I made those markings from vinyl cut by Cricut Expression.

Two things to consider, that I've learned the hard way. 1. Have your own cutting blades and mats for your projects and keep them separate if the device is going to be shared.
2. Experiment with the cutting depth of the blade. When I cut the vinyl for the Infinity, I used the standard vinyl cutting depth and ended up cutting too deep into the backing and had a devil of a time getting the letters to separate without peeling the backing off too. I had to hand peel the letters and attach them one at a time, which is why the lettering looks wonky on the Infiniti.

Since you want to just make templates, it should be easier.

You can cut decal paper with these machines, but the quality of the paper matters. Good quality laser decal paper is better than using laser/ink jet white decal paper from Micro-Marks.

Since I have Photoshop, I've been experimenting with cutting plastic sheets as well. I'd like to be able to cut out window trims and etch body panels to make construction go easier.
explorer2770
Engineer

Return to The Truck Bay