Paint

Off Topic Discussion - No Political Or Religious Topics Please

Paint

Postby wack137 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:25 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right form to post this so here goes. I have a paint problem. It seems that every time that I use enamel paint, rattle can or bottle, it takes quite a long time for the paint to dry. This happens with paint that I just purchased or paint that I've had for years. I've talked to many people about this and no one can help me. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or is it the nature of enamel paint. I have no problem with acrylic or lacquer paint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ed...
wack137
Firefighter

Re: Paint

Postby Lyonsperf on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Go to Harbor Freight and get a food dehydrator. The kind they use to make dried fruits and jerky. Put the painted parts in the machine and they should be dry within a 12 hour period.
Lyonsperf
Firefighter

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:25 pm

I've never tried a dehydrator so I can't say one way or another but enamel paints tend to be a softer paint in my experience and do take a longer time to dry. Paints have to have time to "gas out" so to speak. Humidity also can affect the time it takes for the paint to dry. Low humidity in a way acts as a dehydrator and a moist air can act like a humidifier. You may just have to wait it out before doing much to it.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby hookandladderno1 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Model Cars Magazine Forums has a great thread on using food dehydrators. Here is the link:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/inde ... topic=1342
Personally, I have one and it works well! Whatevery you are shooting, it will speed up curing time.

David
hookandladderno1

Postby wack137 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for the info on Dehydrators. I'm going to look into the Mr coffee dehydrator.
Ed...
wack137
Firefighter

Return to The Day Room