Extreme bush fires in Sth Aust.

Off Topic Discussion - No Political Or Religious Topics Please

Extreme bush fires in Sth Aust.

Postby Robbo on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi all. Last Friday the 2nd we had temperatures up to 44 degrees C. A fire started in a property about 15 Kms from my home, and quickly moved into mostly scrub land in inaccessible terrain. The fire rapidly spread to isolated properties and townships. Water bombers were called in together with numerous ground crews who worked all day and night. By Saturday the fire reached within 3 Kms of my home. (I live in the foot hills at the start of the Adelaide plains). I had been monitoring the fire bombers and helicopter control aircraft on my computer with 'Plane Finder' as well as listening into air traffic on my VHF receiver. 200 CFS volunteer firefighters on the ground were backed up by 500 arriving from neighbouring Victoria and New South Wales states (these guys travelled hundreds of Kms in their trucks or flew in as relief crews).
In all the final count of fixed wing bombers dropping retardant over a 220 Km perimeter were: 14 Air Tractor Fire Boss AT802s with a 3100 Ltr capacity, 1 Hercules C-130 (capacity unknown) and a Canadian converted Avro J85 with a 12500 Ltr capacity. There were also 2 Erickson Air Cranes with a capacity of 10000 Ltrs each. All were controlled by personnel in 3 Eurocopter Squirrel HELOS. Saturday right through to Wednesday saw temperatures in the low 40s. Wednesday was particularly bad with 103 fire incidents listed, including the original fire which had not been contained. A thunder storm moved through from 1500 hrs to late evening creating more fires from lightning strikes, however these were soon controlled with CFS response and heavy rain, which also helped to control most of the main fires. Today (Thursday) at 0835 there are 4 firs fires going with 1 contained, 2 'controlled' and 1 'safe'. Rain is falling here now, so I expect these will soon be out. All of the reminder are out and listed as 'completed'.
Some 134 firefighters were injured, 23 of which were hospitalised, but not seriously inured. Out of 1040 properties in the fire's region, 38 homes were lost, 125 out buildings (mainly farm) lost, numerous live stock and native kangaroos, possums, koalas etc were lost along with some pets. A cattery boarding kennel was destroyed with the loss of 20 cats, several dogs. Fire crews rescued a number of dogs. All of the residents and dozens of horses in the fire areas were evacuated well before the fire spread. One CFS fire truck was destroyed in the initial blaze.
Tributes to the volunteer firefighters are being placed on Facebook and other sites as well as in the newspapers. We here recognise the value of paid and volunteer emergency personnel, not only here but also in the USA and all other countries.
Well done guys and know that you are recognised for the work you do.

Cheers from Robbo.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Extreme bush fires in Sth Aust.

Postby Modelmaker on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:57 am

They deserve a Well Done ...sounds like it could have been much worse if not for all the hard work done by all the Emergency personnel ....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Extreme bush fires in Sth Aust.

Postby Robbo on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 am

Thanks Gary, they did one almighty job. I went out to the back yard to watch the air tractors 'bomb' the front and rear of houses just 3 Km from me.

Robbo.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to The Day Room