Door Styles

Real World Emergency Services Discussion

Door Styles

Postby Pinolafire on Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 pm

OK I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it SO ..

I wanted to know if ya'll knew when roll up doors began appearing on Apparatus?

Thanks
Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Re: Door Styles

Postby Aaronw on Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Not sure about fire apparatus, but I have a book on beverage trucks, and it looks like they started showing up in the 1960s.

Not a very scientific study but a quick look though some of my fire apparatus books would suggest they don't start to show up on fire apparatus until the late 80s / early 90s. Considering how tradition bound the fire service is 20+ years of successful industrial use before the fire service accepted them sounds about right.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 pm

I have a book on heavy rescues that go through the year 2000. The earliest that I see them used is 1992, Just about everything from customs to commercial cab rescues up to that time appear to still be using standard doors with "D" type locks.
According to one source that I know that is pretty reliable, in the early days they had trouble keeping paint on the roll ups and that they wore out quickly from sand and grit getting in the tracks. Not that today in some places the same thing doesn't happen. Today they are painting roll ups just about every color immaginable so the problems must have been solved.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Modelmaker on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

In Milwaukee they started to show up about 1985/86......Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Return to Shop Talk