70's SUPERIOR ambulance's

Real World Emergency Services Discussion

70's SUPERIOR ambulance's

Postby AMT4EVR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 pm

GREETINGS everyone, Back in the seventies, superior did the fourteen inch stretch wider on chevy vans. My question is...after the basic van was cut in half, did they add extensions to each side of the stock floorpan... or was this also cut down the middle making the need for a bigger dash and engine cover up front ??? comments, photos you could post, just about anything would be great. THANKS in advance.... JOHN :D
AMT4EVR

Re: 70's SUPERIOR ambulance's

Postby xSDFD FF-PM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey John, I drove one of those in Chino, CA. I believe the "plug" was just placed in the middle after the cut, I say this because the seats in the front were a long way from the doors, and I don't remember that the dash or other components were modified in any way. If you leaned toward the door to put your arm on the rest, you would fall into the space between the seat and the door!! The floor in the cab was normal size, with bigger stap areas inside the doors. Pretty strange getting in and out.
Bill
BNSF Locomotive engineer
"Moving yesterdays freight tomorrow"
xSDFD FF-PM
Engineer

Postby GLMFAA1 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:24 pm

There was a company in my area that had one and I am trying to get research for you, I also might have literature somewhere.
What I can recall is that the windshields were split in the center with a rubber strip, the bumbers were either two or three piece, the Dodge used the passenger side section between the doors as the width of the rear door extension. the dashboard had extensions on the ends like extra open glove/map boxes, the '61' stood for the headroom and not the width measurements. The dog houses were standard and the floor must have been widened between the footwells and the doghouse. in the rear the widening was done between the frame and the exterior sheet metal as the trucks had the same wheelbase and track as standard vans. It's a wonder they didn't fall over sitting still.
Don't forget the famous 'Fairfield bar'
picture courtesy of: http://www.emsmuseum.org/virtual-museum/history
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby GLMFAA1 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Part 2
Haven't found my literature but took some engineering to some vans that I have. You have some major sectioning to do after I looked at what the kits offer, Your going to need at least two chevy vans to get the windshield frame to work. Your 14 inch stretch or fattening looks like its easier to do on the floor plate in a straight line on both sides
I would cut on floor for the edges and the second floor used as the center so you don't loose the doghouse and seat positions. You will need to modify the rear wheel wells
Now the Dodges that I had seen I thought that they used the midsection side piece for the widening of the rear door.In scale that is 18 inches making the 'fattening' nine inches on each side
This makes the driver side rear door about this wide. If I did this project I would section the front to use the ends of the hood and try to keep the windshield curve as curved as possible.
Good luck and I hope I didn't scare you away from the project being so close to halloween :twisted:
Greg
The MPC van kit has a 'tub' style interior which still needs to be cut twice and sectioned to another 'tub' middle
piece, The frame will fit and the body pieces would have to be sectioned and if you do a correct full length dodge you will need a third kit to make up the rear portion after the windows. Another option on the dodge was the passanger side windows only which I don't know if Superior used those for this application
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby chariots of fire on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:17 am

That must have been weird to drive. I assume the wheel width stayed the same.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

chariots of fire wrote:That must have been weird to drive. I assume the wheel width stayed the same.

If you notice in the picture the track width stayed the same as they did not widen the frame so the body over hang increased by 7 inches on each side. like I said it's a wonder they didn't fall over sitting still
Greg
GLMFAA1

Postby xSDFD FF-PM on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:19 am

Charlie, they were kinda weird to drive, had to be careful because where you sat, it looked like a normal view from the seat. You couldn't "squeeze" them in like you could with a narrow rig.
Bill
BNSF Locomotive engineer
"Moving yesterdays freight tomorrow"
xSDFD FF-PM
Engineer

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Never had the chance to try one out. Drove engines, mid mount aerial and brushbreakers but no ambulances.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Just was at the Toledo Toy Fair and the NNL # 35
here is a link to a brief run through the NNL.
http://public.fotki.com/GLMFAA1/toledo-nnl35/page3.html

AMT4ever visited and showed me his finished project that was the quest of this thread.

fotki.cohttp://images20.fotki.com/v685/photos ... 30577.html]Image[/URL]Hosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

Made from 2 AMT rescue vans, original releases that had the window options
Thanks for sharing your project with me and is great to share this hobby and to see a little contribution help in completing a beautiful project like this

greg
GLMFAA1

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:55 am

Wow! Unusual subject brought to completion. Excellent job. That needs to come to NJ in April for NNL-East. The sub theme is professional cars and ambulances.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby Robbo on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Very nice finish and attention to detail. A great looking model.

Cheers from Robbo. :)
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby AMT4EVR on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm

For those of you who are going to attend the toy show and NNL contest in Ohio next month, you'll be able to see this model up close , as I enter it in the contest, just for the fun of it to compete with everyone. See you there....John
AMT4EVR

Return to Shop Talk