Rollup Door Mechanism?

Find How It's Done, Or Post How You Do It

Rollup Door Mechanism?

Postby hookandladderno1 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Alright guys,
I need a little help. Any suggestions on how to replicate the little black fixtures that hold the release rod at the bottom of the door?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

David
hookandladderno1

Re: Rollup Door Mechanism?

Postby GLMFAA1 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Well here is my stab at it.
I was trying to think of something common and something you might have a quantity of that comes in a kit.
I came across the running lights from the AMT ALF kits and this is what I mocked up
I used my Dremel with a wheel and routed out the light portion to have the rod go through.
Then I took a second look at the lights on the sprue and just sanded the light off the base and then carefully drilled a holl at the end.
Once done getting the hole size to fit the rod cut from the sprue and glue to the bottom of the door. Ones that the drill hole breaks the plastic use as the lock downs on the body
Hopes this helps
greg
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Greg's got a good start for you David. To go one step further I'd paint the pieces Greg put together silver like the rest of the door and then with a fine black brush paint a vertical black line through the center of the whole thing down and around the horizontal rod. Another way might be to simply take some small plastic strip stock that you can drill a hole through on one end and slip the rod through. Do that in 3 places and superglue them to the rod. Now snip off the strips to equal length, paint them black and then superglue the 3 strips to the bottom of the door.
One thing about detailing; it's not what is but more what your eye thinks you are seeing. Artistic license is not a bad thing in model building. :roll: 8-)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Jeff_C on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Here is mine:

I used corrugated sheet, some strip, an angle section and rod sections.

Cut the corrugated sheet to the size of the door you're making, attach the angle section to the bottom of the door, wrap 3 small lengths of strip styrene around a section of rod and secure with liquid glue (I used the Plastruct stuff) the strips replicate the nylon straps on the bar. Now attach the bar to the bottom of the angle section by placing a small drop of glue to each end of the straps. Carve two small hooks that get placed on the frame of the door, and place the rod under the hooks.Image
Jeff_C
SFH Battallion Chief - Gallery Operations
SFH Battallion Chief - Gallery Operations

Postby dptydawg on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 am

When I built my Snuffer mini-pumper, I cut triangular pieces from strip styrene and drilled them for the cross rod. the hold downs are wedges of strip styrene.

Carl
dptydawg
Engineer

Postby goodguyinar416 on Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 am

If those are a cord type fabric, try using medical white tape like a hospital uses, just lightly spray it black or try using electrical tape.
goodguyinar416

Postby AnthonyV on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:38 pm

OK...I'm going to use your post to ask a question about your roll-up door. How'd you make the actual roll-up door....or did that come in a kit? I'll be needing plenty of it. Thank.
AnthonyV

Postby dptydawg on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm

AnthonyV wrote:OK...I'm going to use your post to ask a question about your roll-up door. How'd you make the actual roll-up door....or did that come in a kit? I'll be needing plenty of it. Thank.

I'm not sure who you directed this question to, but for my Snuffer body the doors were made from Evergreen sheet #4062
Novelty grooved 1.5mm spacing 1mm thick styrene.
Thanks
Carl
dptydawg
Engineer

Postby AnthonyV on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:36 pm

dptydawg wrote:
AnthonyV wrote:OK...I'm going to use your post to ask a question about your roll-up door. How'd you make the actual roll-up door....or did that come in a kit? I'll be needing plenty of it. Thank.

I'm not sure who you directed this question to, but for my Snuffer body the doors were made from Evergreen sheet #4062
Novelty grooved 1.5mm spacing 1mm thick styrene.
Thanks
Carl

Carl, that's EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks bud!!
AnthonyV

Return to Tutorials