All in the details.

Find How It's Done, Or Post How You Do It

All in the details.

Postby ENG17INE on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 am

Haven't been logged in for a bit but I pop on to see the new stuff from time to time. The members name isn't coming to mind right now but he makes breath taking heavy rescues that look like the 1:1 got photoshopped to his work bench. So much detail. Anyway. I'd like to see if anyone can show me how to make a man saver bar, seatbelts, plugs for electric tools and pump panel, battery charger socket for the rig, skull saver and any other tiny details like what size chains and how to make the snow chains for newer rigs which I believer I saw that on this site or a trucker site. I see a lot of great brush trucks with mesh or wire screens on them. What do you use for that? Anything that will help me and any other rookie jump to the next level that you don't mind sharing. While I'm at it I'll add one more to the list. The big generators on pumpers for lights and tools that are mounted in the cabinets any clues to make one. I only came up with mutilating a motor. I don't suggest it.
It's a good day to die hard HOAH!
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Re: All in the details.

Postby ENG17INE on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 am

Zoomzoomzee I think I got it right did a black and gold or yellow heavy rescue out of MD. Amazing.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:36 pm

It is in fact Zoli (zoomzoomzee) and his talented batch of rogue elves. He doesn't seem to pop on here much anymore. But what I can suggest is that you closely examine what you want to create in miniature, and break it down into recognizable parts. For example: a mansaver bar can be a piece of styrene tube painted yellow over a smalle diameter tube painted silver and a flat piece of styrene for the mounting bracket. A cord plug can be something as simple as a piece of styrene rod with holes drilled on each end one for the cord wire on one end and a series of others for some brass stock on the other for the plug. Seatbelts and the skull saver can probably be cut and fashioned from duct tape or cloth medical tape.

I'll leave room for Charlie (chariots of fire) to chime in with his thoughts. He has the shrink ray and is well-known for creating details in miniature.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby Firepig on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Here are some ideas I employed on a model several years ago. Food for thought.

The electrical cords was simply a piece of round tube with discs on each end for the spool; some Radio Shack wrapping wire coiled over the spool; and ends (both male and female) formed from dipping the ends of the wire into epoxy, drawing it out slowly to form a teardrop shape and allowing it to harden. I then sliced off the very tip to create a flat surface on the end. Next, I painted the ends and wire orange. By drooping the ends down (as shown in this view of the rescue truck's cargo bay, you 'see' the ends and process the extension cord idea without having to 'see' slots in the female end or prongs on the male end.

Just one idea.
Firepig

Postby ENG17INE on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:38 pm

The shot of the cargo bay was that you that made rescue 8? I loved that model. I got a lot of ideas from you guys. Thank you all. I've been procrastinating my builds since I joined this sight. I don't have a work bench anymore. Well not my model bench anymore now it's my home diy wood working bench. Well my New Years resolution is to build or start a build and post on here by May my birthday. Thanks again guys.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:25 pm

For the wire screens you see on some brush trucks, there are two sources. One is Phoenix Development and they are in England. They have several selections of brass photoetched screen some if which is very fine. You can order via e-mail from them. The other is a really easy one and that is some vinyl window and door screen material that you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot or Aubuchon Hardware. I use a lot of that for making the open mesh tool and hose baskets. Just cut a strip on the bias so that you get a diamond pattern and superglue it in place.
I did a generator using a 6 cylinder motor from a 1950 Chevy kit. You need to make a frame for the engine to sit on and then mount a radiator. At the drive end add a generator. Then you will need an electrical panel. Some of the police car model kits had a older style computer module and a telephone box. They can be adapted to represent the panel exterior. Paint some of the knobs green, red, etc. and plug in a cord! I'll take a photo of the one I did. :D
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby ENG17INE on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 pm

That is really cool. I never thought to turn it side ways. I'm not quite out the box thinking yet I guess. Thanks.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby Firepig on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:33 pm

ENG17INE wrote:The shot of the cargo bay was that you that made rescue 8? I loved that model. I got a lot of ideas from you guys. Thank you all. I've been procrastinating my builds since I joined this sight. I don't have a work bench anymore. Well not my model bench anymore now it's my home diy wood working bench. Well my New Years resolution is to build or start a build and post on here by May my birthday. Thanks again guys.

It is. Thanks for remembering that model. I had a great time building it . . . several years ago. It was a 'rehab' project while I was recovering from double carpal tunnel surgeries. It was also before the sophisticated resin and photo-etch aftermarket products of today.

Firepig

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Allow me to expand a bit on what Ed shared. My friend Tim Bongard shared several years ago that if you break down a complex object into it's simplest (geometrical) shapes such as squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, and cylinders - you can replicate anything! Mocking things up with index card stock or thin cardboard can be helpful. Using blue tack putty can also help you mock up a project too.

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:45 pm

Amen David! And while you are breaking the project up into geometric shapes concentrate on that one thing and do it well! Then move on to the next part of the project. You will never get tired of building if you take each part of the project as a model unto itself.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby ENG17INE on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I saw under tutorials I believe someone was making a humat valve. I did one using straws, tooth picks and some cardboard. Before I knew where to get plastic styrene. I had fun with it for an hour or so. But I understand the process now that you have explained it. I made a decent ladder belt with duck tape and a lobster clasp earring from michaels. I can't say thank you enough. I look forward to more in progress builds from you guys. I asked before on how to start building and the advice was start with tools and my company has a f350 crew cab brush truck. I believe the new 1:25 model came out will do fine. I'm also contimplating our ford step van. Big box minor round corners flat glass and sliding doors but lots of minor detailing. I might start with a dual build. I have too many ideas and donor models not enough time to pick one and commit. Any tutorials about how to cast a diecast cab. I have a franklin mint tower I'd like to duplicate the cab and small parts. Not sure if copy right laws prevent that. I'm not doing it for monitary gain and can't find another one to kit bash. Any ideas would be great. I saw a plastic model tutorial with clay on YouTube.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby ENG17INE on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:02 pm

By diecast I mean the original is diecast I want to make a resin one.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby ENG17INE on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby ENG17INE on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm

These are to be the builds for the next five years. I hope to get started most of them and learn to make my own resin casts from die casts I have. You see in the apron shot the rescue and ladder are twins aside from the rescue being a hush. What a dog that truck was on the I-95 overpass. I also shared a pic of a model to be turned into a reo civil defense rescue.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 am

ENG17INE wrote: I also shared a pic of a model to be turned into a reo civil defense rescue.

Gotta love the Calamity Jane rescues.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby hookandladderno1 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 am

MMFAAFireModel wrote:
ENG17INE wrote: I also shared a pic of a model to be turned into a reo civil defense rescue.

Gotta love the Calamity Jane rescues.

"Classics"!

David
hookandladderno1

Postby ENG17INE on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 am

I was told the Lester boys as well as the other companies around me called them rolling lunch boxes being a chassis and box. I like Calamity Jane better.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

I think so long as you are just making a casting of a diecast cab for your own use you should be ok. Just my HO!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby ENG17INE on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:23 pm

I'll read up on copy rights before hand.
ENG17INE
Firefighter

Return to Tutorials