Scratch Building

Find How It's Done, Or Post How You Do It

Scratch Building

Postby dimaxion+1 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Let me start by saying I am a Senior . I did not nor do I want to learn Metrics . Keep your tutorials of how easy it is . Let it be sufficient to say ; If I do not understand by my age of 66 , I'll won't get it anytime soon . I just don't get why a US Citizen like myself needs to change my perspective in Math . As much as Foreigners wanting to live Here won't adapt to MY Country .
So to continue , I need help with a simple formulas I can do with my Calculator unaided by a "10 yeas old smart*@+- , for I am an Analog Man" .
I am trying to do a much ambitious Scratch Build of a 1901 Olds Curved Dash in 1/25 Scale . I have illustrated plans in Mc Metrics . Yep , I disavowed this too . I know , cranky mean old man . Please help me ? Thanx .. :roll:
dimaxion+1

Re: Scratch Building

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:38 pm

I hate the metric system too, but in this case it's actually in your favor as 1mm equals pretty close to 1" in 1/25 scale. if the drawing is in millimeters it's already in 1/25 scale. There are 25.4 millimeters in one actual inch, and the .4 mm difference isn't worth worrying about.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby explorer2770 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

On December 23, 1975, President Gerald Ford signed into law the Metric Conversion Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act). The Metric Conversion Act declared the Metric system "the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce", but permitted the use of United States customary units in non-business activities.

This year will be the 40th anniversary of the signing of the Metric Conversion Act into law.

To get your metric measurements into 1/25 scale (inches), divide the numbers on the drawing by 635. This will give you the inch measurements to use on your US customary units ruler. Note: 635 = 25 * 25.4

And yes, I'm being a smart@$$.
explorer2770
Engineer

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 pm

If the numbers are already in inches you don't have to convert a thing if you use a metric ruler that has 1mm graduations. 60 inches of real stuff is 60 mm in 1/25 scale. Just mark 'em off! ;)
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Return to Tutorials