Home Town Fire Truck builds

Show Off Your Finished Builds

Home Town Fire Truck builds

Postby hiloyelp on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 am

I fixed your picture links, everything all ran together - Ed

Hopefully I have loaded the photos of what I've been working on. A 47 Chevy\ Boyer, a 57 IH\ Moody, a 65 Chevy, and a 63 Chevy panel, with some pics of the actual trucks. These were in service from 1947 until the late 80's, the 65 and 57 getting yellow paint jobs before retirement. Used sheet plastic, AMT\ALF parts, Modelhaus Chevy, Illini Replicas IH, Deeks Chevy fenders and hood, All American Chevy panel. Took a while to find photos of actual trucks. We rode on them for Little League parades!!

hiloyelp
Probie

Re: Home Town Fire Truck builds

Postby towmedic on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:43 am

Great looking builds. Welcome :D
towmedic
Firefighter

Postby jimb on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am

Nice builds.
Jim

Chittenango Fire Department
Sullivan Fire District #1

Real heros don't wear capes!
jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby maxwell48098 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Nice work.

A.J.
maxwell48098
Captain
Captain

Postby GLMFAA1 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 pm

welcome and very nice models
greg
I'm walking a line. Visiting houses in motion
I'm walking a line. Just barely enough to be living
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby hooknladderno1 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Very nice builds! I too am working on several of my hometown's apparatus. I was fortunate to have been a member of the department. We are celebrating our 125th anniversary this year. Unfortunately, I now live 1100 miles away. I share your passion for local rigs and those that you have ridden on (whether as a kid or firefighter )! Welcome to the House!

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby hiloyelp on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words! I actually drove the 63 panel Halloween of 1975, as one of our cruisers was having issues.Lots of gear clanking in the back! That panel ended up getting painted light blue and assigned to the water and sewer dept. for a while. The IH was sold in the early 90's, as was the 65 Chevy. The Chevy reposes at a farm with a dump body on it. It was difficult finding photos of the 65 to build the pump\hose body, but I finally got some of all four units at a drill.I just added a rail to the top sides of the hose bed, and I have some small lollipop lights to install on the cab, and a portable pond to build that this truck carried. The saddest story is that of the 47 Chevy pumper\tanker. When retired after 40+ years of service it sat in the Chevy dealership lot for years slowly rusting away. Late last summer on a trip home I noted that it was gone. I hope someone is restoring it. The Vt municipal plates on the trucks were made by Bill Spencer,and are the actual plate numbers for them.Now working on the first town-owned ambulance, a 69 Suburban high-top, the dept.'s restored 35 Ford pumper, and finally a 72 Ford Custom and a 74 Chevy Bel Air that were our cruisers when I first started out.
hiloyelp
Probie

Postby Robbo on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 pm

Great looking detailed builds.
Cheers, Robbo.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby dimaxion+1 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:56 am

It is a positive experience for me to see such a Variety of Emergency Equipment on this site . These are fine examples of Viewing Pleasure . You do nice work . I appreciate all of what you've shared .. Thanx ..
dimaxion+1

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 pm

That's some nice work. Got one of those International cabs also. No project for it yet though. Thanks for showing it!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Daveski25 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Very nice looking rigs! What did you use to make the GMC cab? The pumper/Tanker.

Dave
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby hiloyelp on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks Dave! I used an AMT 1950 Chevy pickup cab from the firewall back. I grafted the front from a Herb Deeks resin Chevy cab; ie the larger fenders and hood. The Deeks cab did not have the little rear cab windows that the real truck had. This casting has not been available for a while, I wish he would re-issue it. The truck depicts a 1947 Chevy\Boyer pumper, that had extra water storage capacity added to it in 1965, eliminating the hose bed. The 1965 Chevy pumper is built using a Modelhaus cab.
The 1957 IH\Moody and Sons pumper is an Illini Replic casting, that came with everything to build the cab, and patterns for the glass. This cab is now available , a thinner casting, with headlight buckets and turn\parking lights molded in. I think Hendrix and Spaulding Shipping\Trading sell these. This truck also had extra water storage added, but retained hose storage.
hiloyelp
Probie

Return to Display Case