International 1600 Loadstar

Post Your Works In Progress

International 1600 Loadstar

Postby chariots of fire on Sun May 21, 2017 5:05 pm

This is a project that has been the back of my mind for a long time. International Loadstar 1600's and 1700's were so prevalent back in the 60's and 70's for all sorts of uses. Dump trucks, farm trucks, buses, fire apparatus, you name it and they was a "Cornbinder". In our neck of the woods many were made into brush rigs and some even survive today. The photo below is of the cab style I've decided to do. The truck was sitting on a used car lot a few years back and so I shot some photos and took measurements. While the body style is not something I'm inclined to do right away the cab is so here we go!
After looking over the stash of possible donor kits I decided on the 1953 Ford cab. It has some of the lines of the IH but a significant amount of modification is necessary. The windshield, door sculpture, fenders and hood are unique to the IH. Lots of cutting, inserting plastic, sanding, filling, etc will go into making a suitable replica. But why not! That's what model building is all about! :D
I've started on the drawings from the measurements taken back some time ago. Along with some good side view shots and specific dimensions the side and front views are coming along. The back is flat with the exception of some raised panels that stiffen up the sheet metal. Those are easily done after the more basid work is completed. I'll be posting some additional photos as I go along.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: International 1600 Loadstar

Postby towmedic on Sun May 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Looking forward to the build pics Charlie. They are definitely a neat old cab style. I saw one done rat rod style a couple of years ago, lowered, polished wheels and all.
Brent
towmedic
Engineer

Postby chariots of fire on Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 pm

After a bit of cutting and filling of the '53 Ford cab this is where the IH is in the construction process. The front fenders were cut away, turned around and grafted into the cab sides. The windshield and cab windows were modified and new door lines have been cut. Around the top of the cab is a sculpture line that is a bit hard to see. All of this still need some work to clean up little things.
The rear of the cab was modified as well with new panels and lines. The whole cab was also made 1/4" wider.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 am

Another fantastic jewel from the Wizard of West Wareham!
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby Robbo on Tue May 30, 2017 12:11 am

Hi there Charlie. Another great model keeping the past history of fire appliances, so we do not forget our past.

Cheers from Robbo.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby chariots of fire on Tue May 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Hey, Robbo! That seems to be where it's at for me. Who was it said if we don't know our history we are bound to repeat it? As much fun as building historical models is, I only wish we could learn that lesson in other ways. We'd be far better off!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Got a bit more done the last few days. I mocked up one fender out of porch railing stock just to see what kind of issues might be brought out. The headlight area is the most fussy and requires going slow to get the right shape.
I then made the right and left fenders from Renshape. What a joy to carve and sand. With no grain to worry about it almost shapes itself. (I wish :lol: ) The cab was given a first coat of primer to bring out the flaws of which there were a few. The rescribed door lines and the sculpture line on top of the cab needed some work.
I made up the front grill from plastic strip stock by first doing the square outside and then filling in the interior with the horizontal strips. Then tiny bits of similar stock were used for the vertical pieces. Thank goodness for a Northwest Shortline "chopper"! It was pretty flimsy so I glued it to a piece of sheet stock and used it for a master to make the two part resin grill that is standing up between the fenders.
The two curved pieces to each side of the grill was flat sheet that was first scribed with the horizontal accent lines as on the real truck. Then each piece was clamped around a wood buck and dropped in boiling water for a couple of minutes. This softened the plastic enough that it took the shape of the buck without stress. They will need to be adjusted some before fitting since they have to fit the contour of the fenders after the fenders are shaped.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Charlie, I think a good substitute for the grill would be the stake sides from Jordan highway miniatures Mack stake truck
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:10 pm

I don't think anyone would be on a star looking back at us. Too hot for them and they'd be seeing Adam and Eve! :lol:

...............Anyway: Here are the fenders shaped except for where the headlights will go. Plenty to do on that score to get the correct shape.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Modelmaker on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:23 pm

WOW , that is sweet , you are the man Charlie....some day I hope to be 1/2 as good....something to aspire to.....Gary :D :D
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Got the headlight areas shaped with a lot of grinding, filling and then inserting the trim ring for the headlights. The grill edges needed to be re-done as the curve was not quite right. I got it done over and have started on some additional cab work. The windshield was not quite right and needed reshaping at the edges. There is also a grill in the cowl that needs to be made and inserted. Some strip stock will be used for that and then shaped to fit into the opening to be cut in the cowl.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Here's what the Loadstar might look like with a wrecker body behind it. I had a diecast one sitting around so I just put the two together just to see. I kind of like it, I think! :D
The windshield now has a brass angle trim that the windshield glass can sit behind. I only need to find the right kind of clear stock to make the windshield out of that I can bend at the corners without it crazing. Sometime with just a small amount of heat it will bend enough to take the stress out of the plastic so that it will sit around tight curves better.
I turned the headlight bezels out of aluminum stock. They pop right out so they can be copied by casting. If the are painted the interior can be restored to a nice shine using a Molotow chrome pen.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 pm

After getting the brass trim done around the windshield a closer look at some photos has convinced me that the top portion of it is all wrong! :o So there will be some cutting and changing going on in the near future! :x
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Return to In Progress