1:10 scale Mercedes Sprinter ambulance

Post Your Works In Progress

1:10 scale Mercedes Sprinter ambulance

Postby Robbo on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Started this project early January 2014. Had the model given to me for Christmas 2013, to strip and build into the latest SA Ambulance Service's addition to its fleet. My eldest son, a paramedic, has provided me with the pictures to get the model as close to the real thing as possible. Firstly the top had to come off and then every part completely stripped to modify and to change from left hand drive to right hand drive. The original roof is discarded for the sloping raised roof, which has to be 'scratch built' to scale. I have not been able to work on it for quite a few months for medical reasons, replacing the back fence, fitting a new in-wall log gas heater and removing the old surface mount heater etc. Getting back to it now with most of the electronics completed for the flashing lights, turn indicators and siren. Had to do this first to find where to fit the PCBs, switches and wiring.
The gear stick was cut off and the top used to cover the toggle of a switch to replace the fixed gear stick, to control flashing lights and siren. Other switches on the dash will control head, tail, turn indicators etc. while others in the rear are to operate stop and interior lights.

Trust that you will find of interest. Cheers from Robbo.

Since Photobucket have blocked all 3rd party links to photos, unless paying a subscription fee, I am now posting the full 'In Progress' build from my Fotki account.

http://public.fotki.com/Supt-Robbo/merc ... inter-a-1/
Last edited by Robbo on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: 1:10 scale Mercedes Sprinter ambulance

Postby Robbo on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:53 pm

A bit of progress. First picture shows the two bonnet mounted (in front of windscreen) emergency lights with Fresnel lenses, prior to painting and piece of lens material. Also shows the computer case panel slot fillers that I use for making numerous items where thick material is needed. Have made wheel arches etc. for past projects. Can be filed, sanded, drilled, thread tapped and bent slightly using heat from a hair dryer. The other pictures show the rough layout of the rear upper light panel. Each light assembly has a Fresnel lens and is temporarily held in place with very thin double sided adhesive. For those who are into electronics, the latest SAAS Mercedes Sprinter ambulance has the rear emergency lights flashing in a blue, red and then yellow sequence, while the rest of the side and front emergency lights only alternately flash blue and red. The yellow also revert to turning indicators when turning. This has been a challenge to design and build the circuit to accomplish this. Next part of the project is to test out my theoretical circuit.

Go to: http://public.fotki.com/Supt-Robbo/merc ... inter-a-1/ for a complete coverage of the build.
Last edited by Robbo on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:54 pm

The first couple of pictures shows the truck sitting on a ship puzzle. What is the name of the ship? ;)
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby GLMFAA1 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:18 pm

Charlie:
I'll keep Robbo building: a little Google search got me this;
http://www.crownandandrews.com/jigsaw-p ... -world.php

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby Robbo on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:01 pm

chariots of fire wrote:The first couple of pictures shows the truck sitting on a ship puzzle. What is the name of the ship? ;)

Hi there Charlie. The puzzle is of Nelson's 'Victory', depicting the most decisive battle of the Napoleonic wars. The Victory is shown off the south west coast of Spain, near Cape Trafalgar on the 21st October 1805. The puzzle also depicts four of the 27 ships comprising Nelson's fleet, approaching the 33 Franco-Spanish fleet, which lost 22 ships without a single loss to Nelson's fleet. I might add that it took a while to do and is still complete on the puzzle board.

Cheers from Robbo. :)
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robbo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:01 pm

A little more progress. Took quite a bit of theory and practical experimentation to get the new emergency light flasher circuit up and running. Had to redesign it as the flashing sequence is different for the new ambulances and there are more LEDs to power. The top rear cabin panel has 6 blue, 6 red and 6 amber, all ultra bright LEDs to be sequentially flashed. There are also 6 tail/stop lights on the top panel. Including rear tail, stop, turn, reversing and emergency lights (in the normal rear light configuration), as well as the front turn indicators, emergency flashing, head lights, interior lights, front cab light bar and 7 spot lights, there are a total of 69 LEDs.
The pictures show the main circuit board for generating the alternating flashes and turn indicators. The smaller board produces the 3rd flashing sequence, triggered/synchronised from the main board.
Two miniature relays switch the top 6 amber lights from turn indicators to emergency flashers.
Keeps the old brain box active.
Trusting that this is of interest to some, cheers from Robbo.

Go to: http://public.fotki.com/Supt-Robbo/merc ... inter-a-1/ for a complete coverage of the build.
Last edited by Robbo on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 am

WOW! I'm lucky if I get the batteries in right when I need my flashlight! :lol:
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 pm

chariots of fire wrote:WOW! I'm lucky if I get the batteries in right when I need my flashlight! :lol:

I'm with Charlie, Only question is how does the light bar work with only 1 wire going to it? Does electricity change polarity down under?

Ok I take it back: here is the guts of my fireboat

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Robbo wrote:
chariots of fire wrote:The first couple of pictures shows the truck sitting on a ship puzzle. What is the name of the ship? ;)

Hi there Charlie. The puzzle is of Nelson's 'Victory', depicting the most decisive battle of the Napoleonic wars. The Victory is shown off the south west coast of Spain, near Cape Trafalgar on the 21st October 1805. The puzzle also depicts four of the 27 ships comprising Nelson's fleet, approaching the 33 Franco-Spanish fleet, which lost 22 ships without a single loss to Nelson's fleet. I might add that it took a while to do and is still complete on the puzzle board.

Have you seen the movie "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe? They talk about Nelson quite a bit. Neat movie and really well done in my book.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Robbo on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm

chariots of fire wrote:
Robbo wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe? They talk about Nelson quite a bit. Neat movie and really well done in my book.

Yes Charlie and Russel Crowe is one of our favourite Australian actors, he can act almost any male part in a move.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robbo on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:48 pm

GLMFAA1 wrote:
chariots of fire wrote:WOW! I'm lucky if I get the batteries in right when I need my flashlight! :lol:

I'm with Charlie, Only question is how does the light bar work with only 1 wire going to it? Does electricity change polarity down under?

Ok I take it back: here is the guts of my fireboat

greg

The light bar wire is a very fine twin red & black. Just the way it was lying when the picture was taken. My experimental & test circuits I refer to as 'rats nests'. I like the R/C fireboat circuitry. I consider this type of circuitry as 'Electronic Art'.
Cheers, Robbo
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robbo on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:24 am

Well its been a bit of a struggle, however I've managed to do a little more to the model. Wiring of the lower main chassis is completed and the circuit for the interior lights wired. Small magnetically operated normally open circuit reed switches have been placed to activate the front interior light, when either front door is opened and another placed to operate when the side sliding door is opened to activate the rear cab interior lights. The transistor circuit converts the reed switch which is held closed by a magnet fitted to the door, to an ON/OFF function.
I trust that these will be of interest to some of you.

Picture shows wiring and connectors. Large one at front connects to the dash board switches: turn indicator, head/tail lights/siren wail/yip. The two smaller ones are for the front LEDs: head lights, turn indicators and emergency red/blue flashing lights.

Picture shows the front door reed switches and ON/OFF transistor converter circuit as well as the gear stick controlled emergency lights/siren selector switch. (Blue switch to right)

Picture shows completed chassis wiring ready for wiring up to rear cabin emergency lights and turn indicator pulse generating circuit board.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robbo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi all. A lot more progress. I have been able to spend quite a few hours on this project, since the last posting.

Most of the assembly and wiring of the various LEDs and circuit boards is complete. The rear cab light assembly is the last item to be fitted and wired. Is held in place with four 2mm screws.

Trusting that you will find of some interest.

Robbo.

The rear emergency flashing light assembly has alternating red, blue and amber lights (the latter also is used for turning indicators) as well as tail/stop lights. Has three spotlights, two at sides & one rear.

Rear cab with wiring to the triple red, blue & amber LED pulse circuit and relays that connect the amber LEDs to either emergency flashing or turn indicators.

Rear cab - stop, tail, reverse, turn and red emergency flash LEDs.

Rear cab - stop, tail, reverse turn and blue emergency flash LEDs

Main 'pulse producing circuit board for emergency alternating red & blue triple flashing LEDs as well as pulses for turning indicators. Board folds into cab cavity to fit flush for the front cab to be attached.

Front cab has head lights, turn indicators including filed down LEDs fitted into the rear view mirrors. Emergency alternating flashing blue and red LEDs in the front grille and in nacelles on top of the bonnet in front of the windscreen.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Modelmaker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:43 pm

All I can say to that is WOW....impressive.....and I'll agree Master and Commander was a great movie.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby Robbo on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:01 pm

More progress. The model has been virtually completed with a few technical problems with the commissioning. The temporary roof is to be replaced with a flat ribbed one, at a later stage. The cutting out and fitting of the green, yellow and red, self adhesive sheeting is yet to be done. Turn indicators, spot, stop & reversing lights, all worked OK.

Cheers from Robbo.

Under the main cabin.

Inside the rear cab.

Mating of the inner and main chassis.

Head and emergency lights ON.

Tail and emergency lights ON.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to In Progress