2008 Scale Firehouse Group Build

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Re: 2008 Scale Firehouse Group Build

Postby Paul B on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:22 pm

Here is the start of my tiller.

I didn't want to turn a pumper into a parts kit, so I used the frame from the Ladder Chief kit. All the parts I hacked off with a razor saw are in the foreground. I also have the engine assembled and cut off the kit transmision. I will scrounge up an Allison automatic from the parts box.

Paul B

Postby Icheymon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Good start Paul. Nice to see someone else dive into the pond....keep the photos coming. RIch
Icheymon

Postby Icheymon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:57 pm

And Chris I plan on a small compartment just in front of the turntable...like Seattle's rig to assist in climbing on the turntable.....I like the rather spatan area behind the cab.....Hope to start on deck plate this evening.....
Icheymon

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Rich...... :shock: :shock: :shock: AWSOME. man that is turning out great. It will only look better from here on out. :D :D

Paul B. nice saw job on that frame, doesnt even look like it came from the other kit. :D :D
FIREMODELMAN

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:06 am

:D You're off to a good start Paul, looking good. Nice job shortning the chassis & wacking off the transmission.
Tiny 26

Postby EHFDtower751 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:38 pm

I would seriously love to take a stab at this

But I wouldnt even know HOW to even scratchbuild a ladder.......I dont even hve the ladder truck that amt did.

Would have to cut down the AMT chassis for the snorkel if I did
EHFDtower751

Postby Driver E10 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 pm

penn-yanfd62L4 wrote:I would seriously love to take a stab at this

But I wouldnt even know HOW to even scratchbuild a ladder.......I dont even hve the ladder truck that amt did.

Would have to cut down the AMT chassis for the snorkel if I did

I've never built a tiller either, But I'm giving it a try. I'm using the Dodge L700 for the tractor and the trailer for the tiller part. By the end of this week I hope to have a camera and be able to post some pics because needless to say I got some questions. I think the key is what Tiny has said about going slooooooooooooooow. Carpenters have a saying "measure twice-cut once" Its working pretty good for me. As far as how to, research is the key. I've spent numerous hours on line looking at pictures and drawings of tillers. Also I've looked closely at whats been posted and said on the house, I've also printed out copies of prints of different tillers from seagrave's site and E-1's site and taped them on the wall next to my desk for reference. I posted some time back that no one ever learned to swim by staying out of the water. I've taken my own advice and I'm in the water and quite honestly I'm surprising myself at what I've done so far. So come on my friend, get your floaties on and jump in with me(us). Take your time, decide what order you want to do things in, research it and sloooowly build it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Driver E10

Postby Aaronw on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Just a thought for those of you sticking just a toe in the water, Revell's Mack CF or the Lindberg ALF coming later this year would be good lower priced options for this build. There is still a good selection of parts you could use in 1/32 and a couple of 1/28 - 1/34 truck models you could bash them with.

I'm still on the fence, if I can make a Seagrave cab I'll be in with the Oakland Seagrave TDA on my site, but I have a lot of other builds I'm busy not finishing, don't know if I have time to not finish a TDA. :mrgreen:
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Paul B on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Aaronw wrote:
I'm still on the fence, if I can make a Seagrave cab I'll be in with the Oakland Seagrave TDA on my site, but I have a lot of other builds I'm busy not finishing, don't know if I have time to not finish a TDA. :mrgreen:

What does time have to do with anything? I have several non-hobby projects this year at work and at home that will probably kill me for time. Plus there's fire season still coming. In the meantime I'm having fun with this build. Would love to see a Seagrave cab.
Paul B

Postby Aaronw on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Oh its just my New Years resolution to try and at least finsh 50% of the group builds I join, so I'm trying to be realistic. :mrgreen:

Before its over I'm sure I will end up attepting a TDA, my willpower is only so strong.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Icheymon on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:31 pm

I actually got a bit of time this week to start the deck plate....I forgot just how much deck plate one of these uses...I will try to finish up the decking this weekend and I have started a ladder rack for in the rear...I added the seats and air pack bags in the jump seats. Then it will be slam locks, equipment, striping, finish the cab....At this rate I should finish mid June....

Icheymon

Postby ChrisMooney on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:42 pm

WOW! will you bring it to the NNL east???
ChrisMooney

Postby Icheymon on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 am

I am seriously considering the NNL meet. My schedule is supposed to change when I came back from vacation in March and I would work that weekend. I checked with a co-worker and he said he would cover for Saturday so we shall see. I won't have a whole lot to bring but it sounds like there will be a whole lot to buy!!!! :D
Icheymon

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Rich,
She is coming along nicely. I like the jumpseats. Keep up the good work.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Chris on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Great progress.

I am still up in the air. Gotten real busy at work and still have several projects to finish.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby R H on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:45 pm

I can no longer go.

Chris Mooney, I e-mailed Tim Sherman, but have not gotten a response. Was trying to see if he had a new list available.
R H

Postby Tiny 26 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:57 am

Looks Great Rich!! 8-)
Tiny 26

Postby Icheymon on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 am

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen. I had hoped to get more done over the weekend however I was on call and got slammed. I had today off and casted more slam locks but I spent most of the day in the garage working on my VW Camper. Plan on sanding the castings tomorrow evening and maybe get some more deck plate on....
Icheymon

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: That looks GREAT Rich. really coming along nice. :D :D
FIREMODELMAN

Postby smokeater81 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:53 pm

I guess I'll start showing my work. The cab will be from Cargostar's century and the comp. on the tiller are from the ladder chief. I printed the pic. of the alf tiller off of the old forum and using the Atl. tiller Chris posted. The chassis for the truck has been shortened and primed and the tiller frame is done and primed. The comp. I put together and placed diamond plate over the top, then there will be an open spot in front of the comp. and then the out riggers from the ladder also. moooore to come here are some pics
smokeater81

Postby Icheymon on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 pm

...and they're off and running....You are off to a great start Smokeeater. Add some gusset plates to the side of the gooseneck on the trailer and it will fly together from here. What color? are you planning???

I will be away for two weeks of vacation in Florida and put mine away so keep those photos coming..... 8-)
Icheymon

Postby smokeater81 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 pm

The plates are drying in place now, and she will be just regular ol' Krylon red. Have fun in Florida.
smokeater81

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:02 am

Looking Good Andrew!!

I second the good time in Florida vote, Rich.
Tiny 26

Postby smokeater81 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:13 pm

It has been a while since anybody posted anything here. I've done some more work on mine, like add red paint and re-did the neck of the trailer and figured out the way I wanted to attach it to the truck. I went to the hardware store and picked up some machine screws and lock nuts and went up a size on some more square nuts to get the height from frame to neck. Trying now to get the ladders to lay flat to put them together. Here are some more pics. Thanks for looking and comments.
smokeater81

Postby ChrisMooney on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:27 pm

looking really good
ChrisMooney

PreviousNext

Return to Group Builds