2008 Scale Firehouse Group Build

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Re: 2008 Scale Firehouse Group Build

Postby cargostar on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Nice job! I like the bar thats on it. Looks like its had a rehab in its lifetime. Great work!
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby smokeater81 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Thanks Dave, another rehab will be the century cab when you start shipping them! :D :D
smokeater81

Postby cargostar on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Iknow! yours is the first one out the door as soon as I get windshields! ;)
cargostar

Postby smokeater81 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:18 pm

When you do thats fine. But the truck still looks good for my taste and building ability! :lol:
smokeater81

Postby R H on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:24 am

I concur with Dave. I did a pumper with the re-hab look. Might I suggest "Man-Saver" bars?
R H

Postby ChrisMooney on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:26 am

I would go with a big old single rotator on the roof. It does look great. and nice job on the Tiller body
ChrisMooney

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Andrew,
Nice job. You could go either way with the lightbar/rotator. The wide white stripe looks more in keeping with an updated rig. If that is the case, you may wish to go with the lightbar/refurb theme. Look forward to seeing which way you go...
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby Paul B on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Andrew, looks great! I agee, the white makes it look like a rehab, keep the light bar.
Paul B

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Mighty quiet here, anybody making progress. We still have until 12/31.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby Icheymon on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Sorry to have been gone for long....been a long summer here in sunny Carlisle. I have been working on my project now that fishing season is over and I actually have made some headway. I need to add mirrors, marker lights, wipers and few other details and the tractor will be finished. Then I can tackle the trailer. I forgot how much space one of these eats up during assembly and I have another one to finish also....Ah the joys of modeling...I love the smell of paint in the morning...

Icheymon

Postby ChrisMooney on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 pm

Really Nice progress. I have to say Next to a Mack R the Kenworth is the next best thing for fire trucks.. :)
ChrisMooney

Postby hooknladderno1 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 am

Rich,
Great to see you back! Nice progress on your project. I like the name of your department. Is this a "one off"or part of a specific department? Keep up the good work.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Icheymon on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for the comments. I had started my "own" department build while still in the army in 1977..yes there was plastic and glue way back when. I had chosen to call it the St. Jill Fire Department because it was short and easy to place the name from the decal sheets that came with the AMT kits. Fast forward to 1980 and the beginning of the Slime Lime era and I had decals made by Railgraphics for my department named Metro Fire Rescue. I think I still have a couple of those decal sets around somewhere. I picked up an old Rick Manz casting of a Crown Firecoach cab in the mid 90's and could not bring myself to deface it by painting by painting it lime green so I shot it with a dark red. I instantly fell in love with the color scheme. I wanted to do a new fire department and since my wife and I have a liking for flamingos....well I decided to go with Flamingo Bay. Last year I bought a sheet decals from Joeseph Schulte off of this site and the rest is history. By the way Joe makes excellent quility decals with very resonable prices and a quick turn around.....if you are in the market contact him. And I forgot how complicated these mirrors are to put on this Kenworth. Stupid suer glue!!!! :evil: Now if I can just get this project done and try to finish the snorkel squad I will be able to see my work bench again. I think it is made of wood but it has been buried for so long I forget.

Later, Rich
Icheymon

Postby Tiny 26 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Glad to see you back Rich!! Been wondering where you'd got off to. I'm looking forward to seeing this baby finished.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Icheymon on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 am

I got the tractor pretty much finished up tonight. I still need to add a step box for turntable access and a couple of handrails on the back of the cab but I will wait until I have the trailer nearly finished. I put it all together to try and get a feel for how it is looking and I must admit I am pleased with the results.....

Icheymon

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:22 am

Very Nice!! Excellent work.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Icheymon on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:24 am

I put the gold striping on the trailer tonight...yes, it is Skotchlite reflective tape. Now it is just a matter of assembly and lots of details. It seems the shop crew lost one of the hydraulic stabilizers during the rebuild :oops: and now a new one must be manufactured.....At this rate I just might finish before the new year....Rich

Have a good night and I'll see if I can stop in over the weekend......
Icheymon

Postby Paul B on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Good to see some activity here again though I hate to admit it but mine is exactly where it was when I posted the ball race pictures. Modeling time seems to be very precious these days and I have a few other projects going as well. Rich your project is looking great. Now how about extending the deadline a year or two?
Paul B

Postby Icheymon on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm

The problem with extending the deadline is then my shop crew will slack off and this won't get finished until the end of next year. I don't know how Keebler keeps the little buggers working :D And I want to finish the snorkel squad, the Crown/Holmes tow truck, the seagrave tiller, the P model Seagrave pumper, the Anniversary Seagrave pumper....and so on. It just never ends and for Christmas my wife ordered three cabs from Cargostar....bring on the paint and glue.....
Icheymon

Postby R H on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:13 am

Okay,then extend it for the rest of us. :D
R H

Postby Icheymon on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:06 am

Um, I would think that any extension would be between management and the modeller's involved. Let's face it, a tiller build is a huge project for anyone that takes large amounts of time and space to complete. You could change the title of this post from "Group Build" to "Hey we are building a Tiller", move it somewhere else in the forum and just let it run......but that is only my two cents. Either way this has been a blast!!
Icheymon

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 pm

for Christmas my wife ordered three cabs from Cargostar

Hey Rich, does your wife have a sister? Just kidding, I know that I am very blessed with a wife that also supports my modeling.
You could change the title of this post from "Group Build" to "Hey we are building a Tiller", move it somewhere else in the forum and just let it run......
I like that idea. I just have too many projects in the work to have gotten any further than the chassis of my ALF tractor for the tiller project. I did an informal list, I came up with about 15 different projects in the works. That does not include the ones on the "drawing board". I hope that 2009 will be the year of "completed projects...
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Paul B on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:55 pm

I was just joking about the extension since reality is that as complicated as my life is, you could extend the deadline 5 years and I would probably be late. Although it seems that I'm not the only one with that problem.
Paul B

Postby Icheymon on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Paul, I took your comment as that but I must admit it got me thinking.....which in and of itself is kinda scarey....I have a leg up on most as both of my tillers are rehabs. I can tell you that when I first started this one years ago it took me three years to build...I kitbashed a Century Cab and then used what seemed like a mile of sheet plastic. When I built it I had maybe 20 or so models under my belt including a previous attempt at a tiller and was still overwhelmed. There was no internet and only by meeting guys like Harry Davis and Greg Smith was I able to get the help and guideance required for the undertaking. I must admit this forum and its members have helped me tremedously because it brought back the reason I built these kind of models years ago....fun and the people here helping others. And this forum has been continually evolving with uprades and changes so we shall see what the future brings. But always keep in mind that what we as modellers may percieve as a simple change could possibly give the administrators fits. And I figure those guys give more than enough of their time and effort to keep this site running as smoothly as it does. On that note I believe I shall go upstairs and work on my tiller.

Stupid soapbox. :oops:
Icheymon

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:41 am

[quote="Icheymon" You could change the title of this post from "Group Build" to "Hey we are building a Tiller", move it somewhere else in the forum and just let it run......]

Works for me, charter member of the "SBS" (Slow Builders Society).

[quote="Icheymon" Stupid soapbox. :oops:[/quote]

I put it back in the closet after my last rant, I wondered who had it. :lol:

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

PreviousNext

Return to Group Builds