Group builds vs In progress

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Group builds vs In progress

Postby Aaronw on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:36 pm

The group builds here have been a little odd to me, not really in a bad way just odd.

Here is why, this site is fairly limited in scope (emergency vehicles), I mean at a general modelling site you could have an emergency vehicles build, but here that would be "like d'uh". :ugeek:

I've been trying to figure out how the group builds could be seperated from the in progress other than by name, because in essense this site is one big group build. The in progress section is just an emergency vehicles group build where everyone has their own seperate post to show their progress.

People are having fun so it really isn't a problem, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the group builds something different without being so narrow that they each only have one or two participants (and in effect are just like the in progress section).

Deep thoughts, random comments, rotten tomatos?
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Re: Group builds vs In progress

Postby bigdogb25 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Deep thoughts are too painful, so I'll try for a random comment. The model club that I used to go to meetings with used to do a "club build" every year. They would pick one kit & people who wanted to build it could do whatever they wanted too with it. The last one I was there for was the, at the time, "new" VW bug by R/M. I started my Fire Inspector's car but couldn't get the paint right so its still in the box.

Something like tis what your thinking Aaron??

As for rotten tomatoes, they usually don't last long enough here to rot. Can't beat a good 'mater sammitch. MMMM MMMM GOOOOD!!!!! :mrgreen:
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby R H on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 pm

I like the idea of an existing kit, could even makeit an aftermarket kit, like one of Jamie's ambulances. :D
R H

Postby Chris on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:57 am

Well I think the main reason I started the group builds was to come up with a more advance type build such as the tiller build that since there would be a group building them might encourage others that normally would not try one to jump in. There may be some other ideas that may come up as well that would fit into a group build theme.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby Aaronw on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Bob, I don't really know what I'm thinking, just fishing for ideas I guess. The all one kit thing is the traditional group build as I understand it, it gives people a chance to see how much can be done from one kit.

Chris, I kind of got the idea it was to encourage a specific type of build which isn't a bad idea. I like group builds (or at least like to start in them, I really don't have the finish them thing down) but it doesn't seem like they really get off the ground here. Maybe the subjects we like are too big and time consuming to really fit within a traditional group build. It just seems like most have petered out with a whimper rather than finish with a bang or even a pop.

People seem to be enjoying them so it isn't a problem, I'm just thinking out loud and looking for ideas.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby R H on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 pm

Honestly, I had hoped to start one, but my life keeps kicking me in the butt. I do intend to build a few TDA's. I hope to get a dedicated work area set up ove the next year, but with history around here, I'm not conting on it. :roll: :(
R H

Postby Aaronw on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:38 am

R H wrote:Honestly, I had hoped to start one, but my life keeps kicking me in the butt. I do intend to build a few TDA's. I hope to get a dedicated work area set up ove the next year, but with history around here, I'm not conting on it. :roll: :(

I know that feeling all too well, don't feel bad you are not the only one who never seems to find the time to get anything done.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Pinolafire on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:02 am

Well I'll toss in my two cents....

As for the group builds, I understand Aaron's point that the whole site is group build..one thing I like about the group section...
If we all work on the same type of project...you get to see all kinds of ideas and thing that a simple mind such as mine may have overlooked...

Are we doing a 09 build?

Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:57 am

I'm dangerous when I think too deeply, so I try to keep it to a minimum. And I'm terrible about getting revved up, starting something & then stalling.

That said, I kinda like the idea of the generic group build - like tillers. Anything goes from headlights to taillights & everything in between. Also the specific group - Mack for instance, but again, anything goes. I'll support whatever the majority (or Chiefy) decides, but I'm limited right now to what I have on hand in my stash. Sorry if that sounds wishy-washy.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby Jeff_C on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:39 am

Chris wrote:Well I think the main reason I started the group builds was to come up with a more advance type build such as the tiller build that since there would be a group building them might encourage others that normally would not try one to jump in. There may be some other ideas that may come up as well that would fit into a group build theme.

What about a military group build theme?

There are lots of military surplus vehicles out there that have been converted for use by fire and police departments. And it wouldn't nessessarily be limited to surplus vehicles either since there is the Oshkosh TFFT and a few other modified brush engines used on military bases that use the M35, M8XX, or M9XX series, as well as all those WW2 fire engines based on the 2 1/2 ton CCKW's.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Jeff_C
SFH Battallion Chief - Gallery Operations

Postby R H on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:10 am

Hmmmm, is one of those M units the HUMMV? I have a couple of the Jurasic Park Hummers that I want to turn into brush rigs, plus I have a couple of 1/35 HUMMV Ambulances. :D Does anyone have a connection for real Iraqi sand? I need some for a diorama.
R H

Postby Jeff_C on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:49 pm

It could be a Hummer too.

Camp Pendelton has a few outfitted as brush trucks.

http://www.redhummer.com/firetrucks/fireattackers.html

Here are some of the military kits that can be used for emergency vehicles:

M3 Halftrack - Tamyia or Dragon
M35 2 1/2 ton truck - AFV Club
M49 2 1/2 ton tanker - AFV Club
M548 Tracked Cargo Carrier - AFV Club
M997, M998, M1025, M1038, etc HMMWV - Academy, Italeri, Tamyia
M923A1, M925 5 ton truck - Italeri
M977, M978 HEMTT - Italeri
CCKW 2 1/2 ton truck - Italeri, Tamyia
DUKW 2 1/2 ton amphib truck - Italeri
MAN 7 ton milgl 6x6 Truck - Revell Germany
Unimog (Lkw 2T tmilgl) - Revell Germany
M113 APC - Tamyia, Academy, Italeri
Marder APC - Tamyia, Revell Germany
Jeff_C

Postby Aaronw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:43 pm

There is a 1/24 scale duece and a half in resin from Wespe models as well as a few options for a Dodge 3/4 ton (if you modified from the 1946 Dodge Powerwagon) and Jeep in 1/24-1/25.

The US military also had a couple of different size firefighting trailers in WW2 that could be pulled behind a standard jeep or truck to make instant fire engines.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Jeff_C on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:21 pm

I forgot about that Wespe kit.

There is also the ultra rare Renwal/Revell Military Wrecker kit to make a rescue rig. I'm not sure if anyone would go and build one of those into something other than what's intended of the kit after shelling out $200 or more for the kit.

It would be great if Revell updated that kit, and started repopping them.
Jeff_C

Postby R H on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Jeff_C wrote:There is also the ultra rare Renwal/Revell Military Wrecker kit to make a rescue rig. I'm not sure if anyone would go and build one of those into something other than what's intended of the kit after shelling out $200 or more for the kit.

Dag-gum-it!!! I have the rescue version of that! Revell Germany kit # 7391. Chiefy, I'll get you a picture as soon as I relocate it!
R H

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 pm

It could be a Hummer too.

Camp Pendelton has a few outfitted as brush trucks.

Hmmmm, is one of those M units the HUMMV? I have a couple of the Jurasic Park Hummers that I want to turn into brush rigs, plus I have a couple of 1/35 HUMMV Ambulances

Did someone say Hummer??? I know, we have visited this subject before... You guys know how much I love Hummers. I just got a little carried away. I have been working on completing both my Hummer brush unit and 4 door Command vehicle. Hope to wrap these up soon, and post pictures in the "Display Case". The Jurassic Park Hummer builds up into a fine model with a little work. Look forward to seeing yours.
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby FDFF BUILDER on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:51 pm

I have a huge book on the Viet Nam war. There is an entire chapter on fire equipment. All are either converted transports, with huge foam nozzles on front, and a large tank in cargo area. The others are tanks and APCs set up for fire fighting. Very nice glossy photographs.

I would think about joining a group build with a military connection. As for Iraq sand, would some Kuaiti quartz work? I'd swear I still have some grains in my boots.

FDFF BUILDER

Postby Chris on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 am

Ok, I have a military wrecker from Revell that I have about half built. Are you telling me that thing is worth something? :shock:

Lots of military stuff, actually a few web sites devoted to them.

http://www.vehiclesofvictory.com/Fire%2 ... Trucks.htm

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Fire/FireIndex.html

http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/index.html
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby R H on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:14 pm

FDFF BUILDER wrote: As for Iraq sand, would some Kuaiti quartz work? I'd swear I still have some grains in my boots.

As long as you wash it first! :D My niece served in Kuait in '01 as an Army medic.
R H

Postby FDFF BUILDER on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Here is a Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) military type brush unit stationed at Rookery Bay facility. Would make a nice model using a 1/35th scale USA vehicle.

PS: I live in Florida, but I really really really HATE sand.
FDFF BUILDER

Postby FDFF BUILDER on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:16 am

One more idea for a simple conversion, from an actual conversion in the field. A Humvee with FHP shield on the door. Probably would have looked better if it had chrome baby moon hubcaps. LOL

FDFF BUILDER

Postby bigdogb25 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:36 pm

FDFF BUILDER wrote:One more idea for a simple conversion, from an actual conversion in the field. A Humvee with FHP shield on the door. Probably would have looked better if it had chrome baby moon hubcaps. LOL

You shoulda went after the one with the Mk 19 on the roof. :twisted:
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pinolafire on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Probably would have looked better if it had chrome baby moon hubcaps. LOL

That's right.....Maybe a Lo-Pro LED lightbar....a nice grafix package... :lol:

Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Postby cargostar on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Heres a site that has conversions shown. Not much for details, but it may give some ideas.

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Jeff_C on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:36 am

R H wrote:Dag-gum-it!!! I have the rescue version of that! Revell Germany kit # 7391. Chiefy, I'll get you a picture as soon as I relocate it!

You mean this one?

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?manu=Renwal

$325 for it.
Jeff_C

Next

Return to Group Builds