Aircraft Group Build

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Aircraft Group Build

Postby Aaronw on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Welcome to the Aircraft group build of 2009.

The intent is to encourage more building of aircraft. The subject is simple, if it flies and is used to support or directly conduct firefighting, law enforcement or other life saving efforts it qualifies for the group build.

The list of possibilities is quite large, some examples include:
Firefighting helicopters, air tankers, medical helicopters, rescue helicopters, air sea rescue, civil air patrol, coast guard, border patrol / frontier guards, military medevac aircraft, combat search & rescue helicopters, police aircraft etc.

Some out of the box options-

USCG HH-65 Dolphin, Trumpeter 1/48, Revell 1/72
USCG C-130 Hercules, Heller 1/72, Minicraft 1/144
USCG R5D (aka DC4), Minicraft 1/144
USCG HO4S-3G (aka H-19 Chickasaw), Revell 1/72
USCG Bell 47, Academy 1/35
USCG Grumman Goose, Sword 1/72
USCG / USAF HU-16 Albatros, Monogram 1/72
USAF HH-1F, Italeri 1/72
RAF search & rescue Wessex HAS.3, Italeri 1/72 *
Netherlands AF search & rescue Bell 412, Italeri 1/72
Securite Civille Allouette 3, Heller 1/72
Securite Civille AS350 "A-Star", Heller 1/48
DC6 fire bomber, Heller 1/72, Minicraft 1/144
Air sea rescue SB-17, Academy 1/72
Erickson Aircrane CH-54 Skycrane, Revell 1/72
CL-215 fire bomber, Heller 1/72
CL-415 fire bomber, Heller 1/72 **
CH-113 Labrador (aka Vertol 107) RCAF rescue helicopter, Hobbycraft 1/72
CH-149 Cormorant RCAF rescue helicopter, Italeri 1/72
Eurocopter EC135, various rescue / law enforcement options, Revell 1/72
Eurocopter EC145, various rescue / law enforcement options, Revell 1/72
Agusta A-109K2, various rescue options, Revell 1/72

* nit picky accuracy issue #1, the Wessex HAS3 is a Royal Navy helicopter, the RAF decals should have been used with the HU5 kit.

** nit picky accuracy issue #2, the CL415 is actually a CL215T.

Some aftermarket decal options

Draw Decals, several firefighting aircraft options http://www.drawdecal.com/

Fireball Modelworks, variety of decals and resin kits for USCG, firefighting and rescue subjects http://webpages.charter.net/osborn82/

Belcher bits, RCAF subjects, includes some firebombers and rescue helicopters http://www.belcherbits.com/index.htm

Subject: Aircraft
Era : Any
Build Time Frame: Jan 1, 2009 - Dec 31, 2009 (early bird start 12/16/08)
Scale : Any
In Progress Photo Requirement - LOTS!

Previously started builds are welcome as long as you won't be done when the GB starts.

Due to the holidays and the additional time off some have, an early bird start date of 12/16/08 (today) has been approved. :D

Builder List

Pinolafire - Meridian NAS HH-1N base rescue helicopter
Tiny 26 - Bell 204 St John's air ambulance
Chris - SB17 air sea rescue
Aaronw - USAF Air Rescue Service UH-19A
smokeater81 - Bell 206 air ambulance
johnrescue - air ambulance
hooknladderno1 - USCG Bell 206
ff6cav - CAP Cessna 150
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Re: Aircraft Group Build

Postby Pinolafire on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:02 pm

WAAAAAHOOOOO!!!!!!!

ANGEL 0-2...NAS MERIDIAN...Now all I got to do is tell my wife

Matt :mrgreen:
I live with fear and danger everyday... and every once and awhile I get to leave HER at home and go fight FIRE
Pinolafire
Night Watchman

Postby smokeater81 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Aarnow I have the diecast Bell 206 I need to finish that I started awhile back. It is for a buddy the is a flight medic. So now I have motivation. :D
smokeater81

Postby johnrescue on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:37 pm

smokeater81 I need to finish that I started to i have a air medical if that is ok Aaronw.
tamaqua rescue squad tamaqua fire department http://www.ahco1tamaqua.com
johnrescue
Captain
Captain

Postby Chris on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 pm

I'll go ahead and move my progress pics to here.

Here's what it is supposed to represent when it is done.

Progress is slow going, lots of tedious work and fair amount of cutting plastic.

First up is the cockpit thus far. Still lots of little details to go on it. Had enough of lots of little details for one day though.

Still a good bit to go but it is a little more interesting looking than the kit decal.

Here is the rear of the cockpit. I found out after wards that I put everything on the bomb bay side of the thing. No way the stuff was coming back with damaging it, that Gator Glue has a hell of a bite so I just modified the cockpit floor to fit in the holes and trimmed the ribbing from below the door. Won't be able to see inside the bomb bay any way.

Now the wall in front of the cock pit. Still more to go on it but I will wait till it is painted.

Right side of the cockpit.

Inside the wheel well. Kind of wondering how I am going to get the wheel strut mounted now. I get ahead of myself at times. I'll figure something out.

Some of the opened up areas of the wings. If you look real close you can see the tiny holes in the back of them.

The start of a landing flap. This is the first steps. Still lots more to go. Gotta figure out what I have that I can use for the rod it says I need since it did not come with it.

And the easiest thing so far to get done. The boat.

Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby lfd214 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:32 am

I have a really good suggestion how about the s-61 Sikorsky involved in the Iron 44 incident this year i think it would be a great tribute to the 9 people we lost.lfd214
lfd214

Postby bigdogb25 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for posting the links Aaron. Lotsa helpful stuff - especially this article for filling seams & stuff. A little long but good basic info.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... _id=111677
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Chris, explain the boat. Some of us, OK me :oops: , might be a little slow when it comes to aircraft related things.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby ChrisMooney on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:35 pm

I know what its for... the Airforce can be like the Navy and Land a boat on the watter... like a PBY LOL... Better to just drop a boat in the water and let them find there own way back. last thing some Air Force Pilot wants after crashlanding a plane is gettin in anotherone... :)
CHRISTOPHER MOONEY

See my builds at http://public.fotki.com/chrismooney/
ChrisMooney
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby R H on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:54 pm

ChrisMooney wrote:I know what its for... the Airforce can be like the Navy and Land a boat on the watter... like a PBY LOL... Better to just drop a boat in the water and let them find there own way back. last thing some Air Force Pilot wants after crashlanding a plane is gettin in anotherone... :)

More over, these aircraft were flown out to a "rescue" where they would "bombdrop" the boat from these converted bombers. This would supposedly allow the survivors to have a boat to navigate back to land. I also understand that this did not work very well, and was a short-lived project / program.
R H

Postby Pinolafire on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 am

Awesome job Boss....

For some odd reason everytime I see this I thing of the no quite so well known John Wayne flick Islands in the Sky...
Except those aircraft were DC's....

The Monogram version of the PBY was a good kit to build....very large bird.. the "glass" canopy part was a pain in the butt to paint....as I recall.
Ah the memories.... :D

I live with fear and danger everyday... and every once and awhile I get to leave HER at home and go fight FIRE
Pinolafire
Night Watchman

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info Chris & Rob.

hhhhhmmmm....... John Wayne flic, Mongo Like!!

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Pinolafire on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Islands in the sky is about a USAAF/USAF DC-3 rescue crew that goes down....somewhere...can't remember where , but a large part of the movie is narrated by the Duke...Has several good actors playing good parts....would be a good reference source for anybody with a DC project

Oh...BTW if anybody has a HC 130 project in mind I may have a decal set for the Air Force Airtic transport version....Someplace.... :roll:

Pinolafire
Night Watchman

Postby Aaronw on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 pm

R H wrote:
ChrisMooney wrote:I know what its for... the Airforce can be like the Navy and Land a boat on the watter... like a PBY LOL... Better to just drop a boat in the water and let them find there own way back. last thing some Air Force Pilot wants after crashlanding a plane is gettin in anotherone... :)

More over, these aircraft were flown out to a "rescue" where they would "bombdrop" the boat from these converted bombers. This would supposedly allow the survivors to have a boat to navigate back to land. I also understand that this did not work very well, and was a short-lived project / program.

Somewhere I have a website link that talks about these air dropped boats. The US Coast Guard continued to use these until 1959, so they seemed to work ok. A PBY or other flying boat usually came along and picked them up before they got too far anyway, so it was more practical to have a B17 or PB4Y2 spot survivors, drop supplies and then guide in a flying boat. By the late 50's helicopters were starting to put the flying boats out of buisness too, so air dropping boats probably became completely redundant.

The boats are actually kind of neat, when they hit the water they would deploy a sea anchor to keep the boat fairly stationary and also fired rockets trailing ropes to help the survivors reach the boat. They could hold something like 20 people and carried survival & navigation equipment so the survivors could try to reach land if they were not picked up first.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Chris on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Didn't know it had all that stuff on them. To bad I can't find any good pictures of the boat to see if there is anything I can add to it.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby Aaronw on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm

No photos but here is one of the sites that talk about the life boats.

http://www.pbyrescue.com/History/air-sea.htm

Here is a photo of the boat being dropped, if you search the other photos there are a few with some detail of the boat but I didn't see anything that will be really helpful for detailing the boat.

http://www.pbyrescue.com/Photos/2ERS0000/804.htm
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:51 am

Cool sites Aaron. The photo of the burned guy puffing a cig reminds me of today's firemen. Everybody that comes out of a working fire, releases the SCBA regulator from your mask, lights up & walks around with a cigarette sticking out of your regulator hole while rehabbing, raise your hand. :lol:

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Aaronw on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Tiny 26 wrote:Cool sites Aaron. The photo of the burned guy puffing a cig reminds me of today's firemen. Everybody that comes out of a working fire, releases the SCBA regulator from your mask, lights up & walks around with a cigarette sticking out of your regulator hole while rehabbing, raise your hand. :lol:

I had a great photo of one of the guys smoking at a wildland fire, the smoke was so thick you could only see about 10 feet, and there he was puffing away. We were going to use the pic for our health and safety program, but my stupid hard drive crashed and I lost the pic. :evil:
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 pm

Great joke fodder, guys come out coughing, hacking, choking, puking, snot stringers flying & as soon as they get enough wind to talk again it's "anybody got a cigarette??"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Chris on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:32 am

Yea but you got to have the nicotine. :D

That one pic Aaron was actually interesting. It showed the plane still having the ball turret and 50 cals sticking out elsewhere. Other pics I have seen do not have the ball or top turret and only one showed it even having tail guns. Plus it does not have the bubble windows where the waist guns should be like the kit includes.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby Aaronw on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:07 am

There is not a lot out there about these, but it does sound like the Army versions ranged from fully armed to unarmed, so you probably can't really go wrong whichever set up you go with.

I'll be getting started with something that has been sitting on my bench for awhile now. It is a USCG HO4S-3G (H-19) helicopter. This is similar to the one I did earlier this year, but will be in the older yellow paint scheme.

Here is the interior and cockpit

Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby bigdogb25 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 am

How do you guys build these in 72nd scale??!!!! :( :? . I'm having enough trouble with the 1/48 blackhawk. I'd need 2 magnifying glasses and three sets of tweezers to even get started.

BTW - is that the new "split-shot radome" in the nose section :mrgreen: .
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Chris on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Well I think a 48 scale B-17 may be a bit much for my bench to handle.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby Aaronw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:23 pm

bigdogb25 wrote:How do you guys build these in 72nd scale??!!!! :( :? . I'm having enough trouble with the 1/48 blackhawk. I'd need 2 magnifying glasses and three sets of tweezers to even get started.

BTW - is that the new "split-shot radome" in the nose section :mrgreen: .

That is the new replacement motor, its getting hard to find a Pratt & Whitney radial engine these days. :mrgreen:

I've had a couple of people comment on the weight which has put the insane idea of building one of these with the clamshell open exposing a fully detailed engine compartment. I could probably steal a motor from a Ford Tri-motor. That does sound like a lot of work though. :shock:

Ah here is a pic, yep a lot of scratchbuilding but it would be a neat display.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... engine.jpg
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Chris on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 am

Looks like a grasshopper that got caught on a car antenna.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Next

Return to Group Builds