Aircraft Group Build

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Re: Aircraft Group Build

Postby ff6cav on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

welp, im gonna join in this build. once i get the kit in the mail, i'm gonna start on a civil air patrol cessna for my girlfriend, who used to be in CAP and flew some, and give it to her for her birthday. she flew 180's and 185's, and the kit is a 150, but its close enough :lol: i've been away from building fire trucks for a while cause i ran out of plastic and whatnot, so i figured i might as well build something to keep up practice
ff6cav

Postby ChrisMooney on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 pm

NIce idea.. I was in the CAP also.... Squadron 203 In Hazleton pa.. back in 97 till 99
ChrisMooney

Postby Pinolafire on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:54 am

Me too....
Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Postby ff6cav on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 am

got the kit on saturday and started some painting and assembly of the interior and engine, pics coming soon
ff6cav

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Well,
After a lot of thought, talk, and good intentions, I finally pulled out some plastic and started getting to work. The subject is a Bell JetRanger(1/48 scale) kit that I had started a long time ago. Only some minor painting had been done to the seats, and inside of the fuselage. The interior is now completed, and the fuselage glued together. I am working on the seams, and next will be glueing the windows in. I am doing a little research via the Web, on the best ways to accomplish this. I appreciate the comments and suggestions from the members here thus far. I just want to "get it right" the first time. I have a lot of respect for those who work in the smaller scales. 1/48 is just too small for my big and clumsy hands... Hope to have some progress pictures up soon.
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm

1/48, 1/72!! I'm fumbling with 1/32 :oops: .
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby ff6cav on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:51 pm

finally a pic. its 1/48th scale, and the control panel is about as wide as my index finger.
Capture.JPG

top is the engine and cockpit interior, bottom is the landing gear and control panel
ff6cav

Postby Pinolafire on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Looks like you off to a running start... Keep us in the loop
Pinolafire

Postby ff6cav on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:39 pm

got the fuselage assembled
ff6cav

Postby Pinolafire on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Yep... that's them...
Two years on the flight line I became REALLY close to these aircraft but after three tours on the SAR search and recovery teams I saw more of the underside of the fuselage and wings than anything else...

Great work
Pinolafire

Postby Aaronw on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:27 pm

I've been gone since July 20th and just got home last night. I'll get the new updates added to the list.

David I will see what I can find for LA Co, They currently operate 412s and Blackhawks, but have used others. LAFD also used some Hueys but I'm not sure which versions. I do have some USCG references I can post links for, one lists all of their aircraft by serial #, not sure if they have used Jet Rangers but it is possible. They have used quite a few when you throw in the trainers and evaluation aircraft. I think Fireball has decals for US Navy TH-58s which are Jet Rangers in a white and orange scheme which might be another option for you.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

My addition to the Aircraft Group Build

Postby hooknladderno1 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey Guys,
I finally started my project. The interior is assembled and painted, the fuselage glued, puttied, primed, and painted gloss white. The pictures are still in my camera, but I did draw up a mock up of what the aircraft should look like when finished. I have not been able to find any reference material that the United States Coast Guard ever flew such an aircraft, but I liked the graphics scheme, and just adapted it to a Jetranger of that era. I am hoping to get the paint tomorrow, and am waiting to hear back from someone on their suggestion for the decals. Hope to have some progress shots posted soon. Let me know what you think.

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

David here are two sites I use for USCG info

http://uscgaviationhistory.aoptero.org/index.html

http://semperparatus.com/

This site lists the serial numbers of all USCG aircraft which is helpful if you want to build a specific aircraft.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/coastguardseries.html

It looks like the Bell 47 was the only Bell helicopter used by the USCG but you are more than welcome to do a what if for the build. The 206 looks good in the USCG scheme.

If a whif doesn't appeal to you, Canada used the 206 for search & rescue, and their coast guard, both have nice colorful schemes.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:33 am

Aaron, thanks for the above information. I have saved it to my "Favorites" Here is the latest:
Well, after admiring and collecting rotorcraft kits for many years, I have finally "taken the plunge" and begun my first project. I had actually started it several years ago but lack of knowledge, and skills left the project tucked away in a box. After dusting off the parts, this is what I began with.
Once the interior was painted, and fuselage halves joined, I started working on the seams.
My first attempt at masking off the windows.
Here she is with a first coat of gray primer.
Seams were touched up, primer sanded, and white primer applied. This was followed by more sanding, and a few gloss coats of Tamiya white.
After much consideration, I debated whether to paint this after the aircraft utilized by the Los Angeles County Fire Department, or the United States Coast Guard. I was unable to find any reference material or photos that either agency used JetRangers. I decided to go with the USCG graphics scheme, as I really like the look, and the decals are readily available. The finished product should look something like this.
While this project is far from perfect, I have learned a lot while working on it thus far. As with any project, there are ups and downs... I hope to touch up a few rough areas, and make them more even. I know that I will need to pay more attention to the fit of the doors/windows, seams, etc. in the future. The craftsmanship displayed here has been a great inspiration. I hope to get the International Orange, and proper color blue paint for the stripe at the hobby shop tomorrow. I also need to order decals. I hope that this will be the first of many rotorcraft projects. I have many ideas that will require extensive conversion. Thanks for checking it out. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:51 am

The stripe is actually red, white and blue, there is no International orange. Model Master French blue is supposed to be a good match for the blue stripe, and Model Master makes a USCG red, although any good red, red should work, in MM Guards Red would probably be a good choice.

International orange is used on some aircraft for additional high vis marking, but it is not used for the stripe.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks Aaron.
Good minds think alike... I actually have the USCG red(got it in the mail just yesterday). While looking at the different blues that are out there, I realized that I had a spray can of MM French Blue, and thought that that might be a good choice. I will probably pick up a bottle of the MM French Blue(enamel), USCG Orange, and International Orange for future projects. I am going ot pick my son up from camp this morning, and will go right past the warehouse for a large international hobby distributor(Steven's International).. I don't get by there often, as it is really out of the way. It will be great to pick up what I need, as there are only a few "hobby shops" locally. Mostly train shops that have a rack of whatever paint you don't need. I hate to mail order for one or two jars of paint, and pay just as much for the shipping as the paint cost... But anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

David
hooknladderno1

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 am

Nice looking project, I wish I still had my LACoFD book from the 70's It had the early air wing with 47's and huey's I can't remember if there was a JetRanger, What kit is this? and are the floats from the Kit? Did the seats change color?
Looking forward to the finish
'If it ain't got hose, or ladder and red, it better fly' ;)
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby LA truck 127 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 pm

GLMFAA1 wrote:Nice looking project, I wish I still had my LACoFD book from the 70's It had the early air wing with 47's and huey's I can't remember if there was a JetRanger

LA County did have a JetRanger it appeared in Pine Canyon Is Burning and it is in "Right at Home" which is an episode from season 5. In Right At Home the JetRanger is shown on the flight line at Camp 9.
LA truck 127

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:01 pm

GLMFAA1 wrote:Nice looking project, I wish I still had my LACoFD book from the 70's It had the early air wing with 47's and huey's I can't remember if there was a JetRanger, What kit is this? and are the floats from the Kit? Did the seats change color?
Looking forward to the finish
'If it ain't got hose, or ladder and red, it better fly' ;)

Good eyes Greg,
Yes, the seats were originally painted red and black. I wasn't sure when I restarted this project what color scheme I was going to use, so I painted the seats black and gray. To the eye, they looked okay. On the digital version, there is a lot of red showing through. I don't think that it will be very noticable once the masking is removed. Shhhhhh - don't tell anyone... :D The kit is from ESCI. I had bought it several years ago. The floats are from the kit. One of the reasons that I decided to go with the Coast Guard version. I may build more of the JetRangers, perhaps an LA County Fire unit once I can locate the proper reference material. I really like their yellow/white/black paint scheme. One of these days, I may try to do a 412 or a Firehawk. We'll have to see how this project comes out. Thanks for your comments.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Was your USCG red and orange fine? I've ordered those colors twice and both times they were very chunky. I've had some paint go bad after several years like that but never had any other MM color start off in that condition.

If you want to do an LACO Firehawk, Fireball has a free pdf so you can print your own decals. He was going to offer them as decals but for some reason didn't so he made the pdf available for do it your selfers.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:00 am

Looking good David!! I've got to catch up.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Aaron,
Yes, I opened the Coast Guard Red up, and it was chunky. I haven't had a chance to stir it up or play with it yet. Is it a lost cause? I was going to look for some posts about airbrushing Acryl, since I am so used to using rattle cans over the last several years. I bought some acrylic "flow aid" that I had seen mentioned over at ARC. Hoping to shoot some "practice rounds" and work out the bugs before shooting the JetRanger. If the Coast Guard Red is unsalvageable, I will look for other replacement colors. I have the Guards Red in Acryl, as well as Tamiy Red. I will have to check these out. Thanks for your suggestion for Chevy Engine Red for the newer aircraft. I picked some up while at the hobby shop yesterday. I am ordering some decals from Joseph at Fireball Modelworks. He also gave me some ideas about service numbers as well. Thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted.

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:09 pm

I haven't had any luck salvaging the USCG colors, not sure what the problem is. I was hoping it might be the supplier I used (Tower Hobby), but it sounds like you used a different one and still have the problem.

Chevy Engine Red is best used for the HH-65 which uses a unique paint called Tangerine, all other USCG aircraft use International Orange for the orange bits. I have also used Chevy Engine Red for the bright orange used in the 60s, it might be the film, but the bright orange in the 60's looks more red than the current International Orange.

Just a warning, some purists gets rather snippy when Chevy Engine Red is even mentioned as an option. :roll:

I've found Joseph at Fireball is very helpful, he has a lot of stuff that has not made it to production but can be printed up on an as needed basis. If you need decals for something that goes whop whop whop, an email to Fireball is definately worth a try. :D
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 am

Aaron,
Thanks for your reply. I had ordered my Coast Guard Red from Sprue Brothers. I did try and salvage it last night without success. I then set to task of trying to match it with some of the paints that I had on hand. I came up with a mix of Tamiy red/yellow 6:2 ratio, that didn't look too bad. I haven't airbrushed in quite a while, (never really mastered it to begin with) so I'll have to play with it a bit before actually applying the color to the JetRanger. In the mean time, I ordered the decals from Joseph last night. In regards to the Chevy Engine Red, I know what you mean about some folks being "snippy". I have seen their responses. I have to say though, that to my eye your HH-65 is "spot on". I only wish that someone made it in a larger scale. I can't wait to play with the paints, and receive the decals from Joseph. Stay tuned...

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks, I thought it looked about right too. One of these days when I go to the Bay Area I'm going to take a bottle of International Orange and Chevy Engine Red with me and paint som of each onto the Golden Gate Bridge which is supposed to be International Orange, then I'll see where they stand for accuracy. :mrgreen:

Trumpeter does an HH-65 in 1/48, Fireball or Cobra Company has a resin set to make it an accurate USCG HH-65C.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Group Builds