Aircraft Group Build

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Re: Aircraft Group Build

Postby bigdogb25 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 pm

I don't spend much time on any other forum so I'll ask this here - to those who build aircraft models how do Academy kits rank as far as fit and quality? I found a CH-46 A/D in 1/48 scale on evilbay for $12 plus shipping (of course shipping was $25 from South Korea :( :o ) so I figured why not. Looking at all the builds here whet my apetite for helicopters.

Eventually I'll actually finish building something but in the mean time it will look good in the collection.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

USCG JetRanger Update 8/10

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Well, after a successful day of puttying, sanding, mixing and masking, I was ready to take the plunge, and put some color on the JetRanger. As discussed before, the Testor's Acryl Coast Guard Red was chunky, gloppy(is that a word?), and useless. I played around with some Tamiya paints that I had, I was able to come up with a pretty good match, and began to prepare to practice airbrushing. As I have never been an accomplished airbrush user, I have used rattle cans with good results over the last several years. So, I primed some water bottles, and practiced spraying. After coming up with the right combination of pressure, thinning, and paint, I went to work. Here are the results:
The rear end of the fuselage is masked with tape, pending airbrushing the next layer, a blue stripe. The Parafilm M is pulled back to reveal the area for the stripe. Once cured, I will then mask off for the stripe.
The tailboom is also masked. The bottom half of the tailboom will remain white. The tail of the aircraft will be red as shown. Decals have been ordered, and hopefully will be on their way soon. In the mean time, I am working on the seams for the floats, and they will be painted and attached to the skids. I still have to work out color scheme for rotor system. Let me know what you think.

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby bigdogb25 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 am

Looks good David. Think I could send my stuff down to you for painting - might help me get something accomplished ;) . Can't wait to see it done.
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby ChrisMooney on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm

WOW... nexy you can build your "Ride" from work.... :) :)
ChrisMooney

Postby hooknladderno1 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Chris,
Funny you should mention that... I have actually been looking into custom paint masks to reproduce the Star of Life graphic that we have on the side of our aircraft:
Decals and paint matching would be too difficult, as would hand cutting the masks. I just have to dig out the kit, take some measurements, and send off the information. But, I want to complete the JetRanger project first. I don't need another uncompleted project on my desk...

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:46 am

bigdogb25 wrote:I don't spend much time on any other forum so I'll ask this here - to those who build aircraft models how do Academy kits rank as far as fit and quality? I found a CH-46 A/D in 1/48 scale on evilbay for $12 plus shipping (of course shipping was $25 from South Korea :( :o ) so I figured why not. Looking at all the builds here whet my apetite for helicopters.

Eventually I'll actually finish building something but in the mean time it will look good in the collection.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob

Most Academy aircraft kits are pretty decent. I build 1/72 so don't have any first hand knowledge of their 1/48 kits, but from what I've read their CH-46s are supposed to be good. There are a few inaccuracies but it seems like the only ones who notice are the guys who actually flew in them and they admit they may be pickier than the average modeler.

Someone asked about the Academy CH-46 awhile back on FSM, the comments should help you decide.

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1157627/ShowPost.aspx

Fujimi makes a 1/48 CH-46 too, I have some of their 1/72 CH-46s and they look like nice kits.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby bigdogb25 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks Aaron
Bob Miller
bigdogb25
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 am

Coming along nicely David!!
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby Pinolafire on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:05 am

Thought for a second or so you had photos of U of M UMMC's bird

Wish I could find this in a kit

Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Postby Pinolafire on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:30 pm

I got luck with my birthday... Two UH1N's waiting for me in a plain brown box...

One of them is the Navy Rescue Helo
The other is a hospital based version...

What I need help with is the paint layout... How's the best way to get my paint graphics (stripes) laid down so that it's right and right on both sides...

Oh and painting suggestions very welcomed...three color scheme Red/ White/ Blue
Pinolafire

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Matt,
It depends upon what you want to do. I am no expert on aircraft, as this is my first one. But, I am planning to build the EC-135 that I fly on at work. It too has the red, white, and blue color scheme. Ours in the theme adopted by the aircraft vendor Air Methods. They are the largest provider of air medical services in the country. They have many different types of aircraft, many painted in this scheme. Most of the painting is done in layers, lighter colors first. I am learning to use a variety of materials to mask, Tamiy tape, Bare Metal Foil, 3M tape, Parafilm M, - depends upon the specific task, and area. I have used all of them on my current project. Each has it's own strenghts, and is a matter of finding what material suits a particular need. I have also gone through quite a few toothpicks, Popsicle(craft) sticks, and Microbrushes(almost time to reorder them).
Everyone has their own way of doing their graphics. As most bodies have some symmetry on both sides, I try to pick out the similarities, and measure from such items as door panels, body lines, etc. The 3M or other fine line tape comes in handy for masking curves and other thin lines. The Tamiya masking tape is well known in aircraft and military modeling. It is easy to use, comes in different widths, and is great for masking larger areas. This can be used over the edge of the fine line tapes. The Parafilm M is great for masking large or irregular areas. On my helicopter, I used it to mask off the tailboom after it was painted. I also used the Bare Metal Foil on the tailboom, and some of the windows. I am still learning, and am a little nervous about when the time comes to remove the masking from the windows. We shall see...
Don't be afraid to seek out information on how other modelers accomplish what they do. There are many websites out there that have a ton of information available from general modeling ideas, to solving specific problems. While the Scale Firehouse is my favorite site which I visit daily, I have been seeking ideas about techniques, materials, and other's experiences from ARC Discussion Forums, Fine Scale Modeler, Scale Rotors, and Spotlight Hobbies Model Message Board. Please understand that I am not knocking our board here, just sharing that there are additional forums where you can learn techniques to improve your modeling. I hope that I have offered you some ideas.
I am looking into custom paint masks for applying the Star of Life emblems to my upcoming EC-135 project pictured in a post above. I want to get this current project completed before starting yet another one...

David
hooknladderno1

USCG Jetranger Update 8/12

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, the body has been painted and clear coated with Future. I am hoping to have a chance to apply the decals this weekend(at work). These photos were taken prior to touch up of the paint, and application of the Future.
I am trying to decide on the color for the floats. Since there are no records that I could find of the Coast Guard using this type of aircraft, I am using a little artistic license. Originally, I had thought that a lighter "high visibility" color would be a good idea...
After thinking about it, I will probably change them to a medium or darker gray. I appreciate your comments and ideas.
Thanks. Hope to be completing this one in the near future(yeah, I know that is rare for me...).

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:43 pm

I use future with masking tape to help prevent bleed under. I future the base coat, then when dry I mask and paint a bead of future along the edge. Because future thins itself this not only helps prevent paint bleeding under the tape, it also helps eliminate the usual edge you get from masking. Just remember to run a sharp blade lightly along the tape line before removing the masking so it doesn't pull the tape away.

I use the blue painters masking tape and tamiya or pactra tape for tight spots. The Tamiya and Pactra tapes come in sizes from 1/2" to 1/16", it is also more flexible than regular masking tape making it easier to follow curves.

David, I don't think anyone will accuse you of bad mouthing this site because you suggest others. This site is great for emergency services based builds there is a whole world of sites out there that can offer great tips for basic skills and specific techniques. Aircraft and car builders have some great painting skills, and armor modelers can offer great weathering techniques. I am active on 4 or 5 modeling sites, and even Chris who founded this site can be found on other sites. Besides as interesting as fire apparatus is I can't stick to one type of modeling. ;)
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Nice work David & Thanks for the tips!!
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby ff6cav on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 pm

welp, i'm ready to paint my cessna, just waiting for a not so humid day here so i can paint...
ff6cav

USCG Jetranger Update 8/27

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 am

Well Guys,
After applying the decals, my USCG Jetranger experienced a "HARD LANDING" while on a training flight. Following inspection, it was noted that the windscreen, chin bubble, and tail had been detached from the aircraft.
After closer examination, I removed the masking tape from the windscreen to assess the damage. I noted that I had made a classic rookie mistake. After joining the fuselage halves, doing the seamwork, dipping the clear parts in Future, and applying masking tape, they were glued in place with Testors clear part glue. The body was primed, and painted. What i did not notice was how poorly the fit was between the windscreen and the frame around the cockpit.
So, now I must seek a solution to this problem that hopefully doesn't involve sanding/repainting the aircraft. The anti-glare panel still needs to be masked/painted, as well as the tail paint touched up, and re-attached. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Aaronw on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Well the glass is kind of a bummer, but the rest looks great.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby cargostar on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 pm

It almost looks like you could round the lower rear corner of the windshield, and that would allow the glass to move back at the bottom, and up and foreward at the top. Or is there something in the corner of the opening preventing it from fitting? That rear corner doesn't look right. Maybe a pass or two with a jewlers file and then touch up the paint?
cargostar

Postby Believer on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:30 am

Bummer. Badly fitting canopies are the bain of anyone who makes helicopters. I've used a glue before called clearfix, made by humbrol. It's an extra thick glue that you put on with a toothpick that dries clear and doesn't damage plastic or paintwork, the only drwback is the parts have to be left alone for a couple of hours and the glue shrinks a little as it dries. After a couple of applications you can sand it and paint it and you can't tell unless you look really close and happen to have scale dimensions for window posts etc. If you can find some, it will work and look good. The other option might be to remove the canopy/windscreen, scratchbuild the central bar and have the aircraft undergoing "maintenance". Hope this helps.
Believer

USCG Jetranger Update 09/02

Postby hooknladderno1 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 am

Okay Guys,
I have made some progress. The floats have been repainted and glued to skids. The windscreen has been glued back in place, and is awaiting remasking and final gap filling:
I finally decided on a "high visibility" scheme for the rotor system. Couldn't decide which way to go, paint or decal stripes? So, I figured that decal stripes would be a little more foregiving.
The only challenge was that with such small decal strips, they kept wanting to rotate and follow the length of the blade. A combination of Micro sol, and Solvaset, along with a diligent nudge from my brush got them in the right direction.
Here is the project where it stands now.
I have to assemble the main rotor system, re-attach the tail, touch up the paint, remove the window masking, resand, redip(Future) the chin bubble and re-attach and tackle many other details. As always, any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Pinolafire on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:39 am

David.. you're paying attention to detail on a level of one that works around helicopters on a regular basis ;)

Absolutly outstanding... The Coasties would be proud

Pinolafire

Postby ff6cav on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 am

started laying the blue on my CAP cessna this morning. its in between coats right now, using krylon navy blue. i got my girl to tell me the tail numbers of the ones she flew without her realizing what for, so the secret's still safe for now :? :D
ff6cav

Postby ff6cav on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:37 am

pic of the body with the blue:
Capture.JPG

the red is gonna be redone using krylon banner red, because i brushed it on, and it looks horrible. there is a little hiccup or 2 along the line of the blue, but i think it looks alright. sorry for the pic being blurry, my camera must not like this project:lol:
ff6cav

Postby ff6cav on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:42 pm

got the red on the wings and fuselage today, pics once its touched up
ff6cav

Postby Pinolafire on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Can't wait to see it...
Pinolafire

PreviousNext

Return to Group Builds