Back To Basics Group Build - Up And Running Now

Join In On A Group Build, Or Start One Up

Re: Build Proposal - Back To Basics

Postby old imagineer 501 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm pretty sure if we asked Testors, Tamiya, X-Acto, or any of the other manufacturers (later on when we have a rough idea of how many are participating) we could get them to kick in too.
old imagineer 501

Postby R H on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 am

Aaron, I think it would be good to base it all off of the one kit as the starting point.

Tim, last I heard, because of the economy, not too many businesses are "donating" like they use to. The club I belong to quit receiving "freebies".
R H

Postby old imagineer 501 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:04 am

Ouch! We have experienced the same thing here with Scouts and the camps, but when it comes to kids, folks are still giving a little (at least here for the Scouts they are). The trick is the right kind of "ask" and at the right time. We'd have some time before asking for stuff anyway, hopefully things will be a little better by then. I'd be happy to do the asking - it's part of what I do as Ranger and I'm sure we'll get something, after all, it isn't a huge amount of stuff we're looking for and it's a great concept for the right group and right reasons.

I think you're right about using the same kit. That levels the playing field.
old imagineer 501

Postby Pinolafire on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 am

While on vacation Justin and I talked it over...

We're gonna jump on the Mack as soon as we can hunt one down...

He told me in the truck on the way home the other night
Daddy... You do the paint and I'll do the building work...
My response... DEAL!!

How we gonna paint it? I asked...

..... That's a secret..... :D (Hey Chris "Mooney"... Remember the photo I sent you recently?.... Justin loved that truck...)

Will it be an Oak Hill truck?
Nope... Justin wanted "his own" fire name...

I will tell ya'll this... We named the our fire department project...

Independence Valley ...

Matt :mrgreen: (and Justin :D )
Pinolafire

Postby Daveski25 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:10 am

While on vacation Justin and I talked it over...

He told me in the truck on the way home the other night
Daddy... You do the paint and I'll do the building work...
My response... DEAL!!

How we gonna paint it? I asked...

..... That's a secret..... (Hey Chris "Mooney"... Remember the photo I sent you recently?.... Justin loved that truck...)

Will it be an Oak Hill truck?
Nope... Justin wanted "his own" fire name...

I will tell ya'll this... We named the our fire department project...

Independence Valley ...

Matt (and Justin )

Thats awesome!! Way to go Justin! :)

Dave
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby old imagineer 501 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Attaboy!! :D

Tim
old imagineer 501

Postby Pinolafire on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Justin's really excited about ..

You paint it... and I'm build it... I've done it before

Matt :lol:
Pinolafire

Postby Chris on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Sounds great Matt.

Since there looks like there is plenty of interest in this one, anybody want to take the helm and head it up?
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby erodig2303 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:30 pm

what time kind of time frame are we talkin about.
erodig2303

Postby R H on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Very cool name Justin!I like it! (but I won't use it, it's all yours :D )
R H

Postby old imagineer 501 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:04 am

Chris, I'd be willing to help head this up, but I'm going to need a hand from everyone. Like building the models, this is going to have to be a group effort, especially if we're going to involve the kids. One suggestion I'd make is have a topic title under Group Builds of "Kids in the House" where we can post the progress of their projects.

Anyone have good connections with the IPMS Journal / Update? If we're taking the "Special Interest Group" deal seriously, it might be worth letting them know about it once it's organized and rolling. Perhaps the same for any other publication we're friendly with (and see, these areas would be where I would really need a hand. Like I said, group effort... :D )

Let me know. I'dbe happy to help any way I can.
old imagineer 501

Postby Pinolafire on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 am

Well Mr RH... We can't take complete credit for it... it is also used by a department in Nevada... ( I just found that out yesterday... :? )

It was a left over name when I came up with Oak Hill's stuff. I left two names on the list Independence Valley and Orange Village Volunteers..
They both were intented to be mutual aid departments for Oak Hill.

Justin adopted IVFR because of the paint scheme ... He still won't let me tell.... :( ;)

Matt :mrgreen:
and Justin (who's visiting me at work right now) :D
Pinolafire

Postby R H on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 pm

old imagineer 501 wrote:Perhaps the same for any other publication we're friendly with (and see, these areas would be where I would really need a hand. Like I said, group effort... :D )

Let me know. I'dbe happy to help any way I can.

Tim, I need 3 Months notice to get it into MCM, but I'm willing to put it up there. Just let me know what and when! :D
R H

Postby old imagineer 501 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 am

Pinolafire wrote:While on vacation Justin and I talked it over...

Matt :mrgreen: (and Justin :D )

Hey Matt and Justin,

The Michael's in Wilkes-Barre had a bunch of them with a regular inventory number on them, so it looks like it's part of their regular product mix right now. I picked one up for me and Joe last night. If you can't find one near you, let me know and I'll get one and send it to you. Will run just under $16.

Tim
old imagineer 501

Postby old imagineer 501 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:27 pm

I just reread this entire string of messages and boy, the responce has been great, there have been some pretty good ideas, and the waling and gnashing of teeth over having to build a model straight out of the box does us proud :roll: :lol: .

So let me recap here: The Chief's original idea of doing a Revell Mack CF Engine kit, straight out of the box has a lot of support and most of us wondering if we remeber how to even do an out of the box model (which I think was the point...). Rescuing some of us from this fearsome territory is the idea of doing it as a parent & pal project. THAT is an obvious hit, as is the idea of rewarding the kids with some sort of hobby tool kit for their completed efforts. There have also been a lot of cool topic ideas and categories we could incorporate. And all of this very quickly becomes "so many topics, so little time...", a feeling we're all familiar with.

OK, so what do we do?

How about this guys? We start with the Revell mack CF. Gotta build it straight out of the box with the only mods allowed being paint and decals. You can enter it solo, or you can do it as a team with a younger modeler. Once you have completed the OOB project, you're free to do another model (perhaps still on the Mack?), either solo or tandem, as a light mod where all you are doing is improving or replacing the parts of the existing kit, still ending up with a pumper. Finish the light mod and you get to enter a usual no holds barred project.

The idea here would be to gradually increase the level of detail and stuff we add or do to the kit. Excellent for the new guys (and a few of us out-of-practice old timers...), Outstanding for the kids, and makes us work against the calendar so that we aren't going completely nuts with the thing(s), and forces all of us to practice the basics and rediscover how much fun it is to do a simple kit (a fire apparatus modeler's oxymoron if there ever was one...). I think this will acheive what the Chief was looking for in this. It could also create some new tutorials or group tutorials.

As for the other topics like dioramas, home town topics, etc.,they can possibly work as Contest topics since Chris announced they would be starting up again at the first of the year, so in reality, we have our cake and eat it too while supporting a great cause there as well.

If it sounds crazy, just chaulk it up to an overdose of Mountain Dew today. It at least sounded good in my head when I was driving home today from Goose Pond... :lol:
old imagineer 501

Postby cargostar on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:03 pm

All I saw in you post were "eating cake" and Mountian Dew"

The rest sounds fine to me.
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby old imagineer 501 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:04 pm

If I could figure out how to make an intravenous kit that would fit the 2-liter bottles, I'd be a millionaire... :lol:
old imagineer 501

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:30 am

old imagineer 501 wrote:If I could figure out how to make an intravenous kit that would fit the 2-liter bottles, I'd be a millionaire... :lol:

Tim,
With a little equipment scrounged from work, I think that I could "hook you up" (LOL). Seriously,
sounds like a good idea. I got my boys (7 and 11) the Mack kits last year for Christmas. The only problem was that "Daddy" just could keep his hands off the kits, and ended up being more of my efforts and less of theirs... This time, it'll be all "theirs" - I promise...(fingers crossed?). I think that I have at least a "few"more of these in my "stash". I'll share the idea with my boys, and let you know what they think...

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby old imagineer 501 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 am

Good deal David. We have the same problem with the Pinewood Derby! Oh, Wait!! Another category!!!

:o :lol: Only kidding! No, really, ONLY kidding! :lol:
old imagineer 501

Postby cargostar on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 am

Heres some of the pinewodds i've helped with...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246
cargostar

Postby R H on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:21 pm

Tim, I still say it should all be based of of the Mack to show what could be done with a basic kit.
R H

Postby old imagineer 501 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:38 pm

R H wrote:Tim, I still say it should all be based of of the Mack to show what could be done with a basic kit.

I think you're absolutely right on that Rob. The category ideas are great, but the deal is how can we best do it all, really sacrificing nothing including the stuff you suggested.

How would you want to manage the Galleries, especially for the kids?

Tim
old imagineer 501

Postby R H on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:32 pm

That would be up to the Chief here (Chris (not Mooney)), as my gallery tools have yet to be turned on. To start, I would say post it under a set topic, then we'll transfer them as we can.
R H

Postby Daveski25 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 pm

You have my 100% support on this project! Let me know what you need help with Tim...I am trying to get my oldest son involoved..we have sevral of the Mack Kits unbuilt in the closet so no need to purchase one..This is really exciting.

Dave
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby old imagineer 501 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:15 am

OK Rob, Dave, sounds great. My Joe is 14 and has dabbled in this, but this idea has him turned on. OK Dad has to make a few concesions :roll: :) , but hey, it's worth it. I think we're going to do an imaginary City of Indianapolis Engine 18 with a special paint scheme (in between games of course...) :lol:
old imagineer 501

PreviousNext

Return to Group Builds