Need help with 3 TDAs

Get Some Critiquing of Your Build, No Hard Feelings Allowed Though!

Need help with 3 TDAs

Postby R H on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey guys and gals, I need help. I am in the design process of building 3 Tractor Drawn Aerials:
(All dates are approximate years)
1972 ALF 1000 TDA (especially those with fold down stabilizers,like on the AMT aerial kits)
1978 Ford C canopy tractor on a TDA
mid 80's Ford C canopy TDA

What I need help with is I need pictures (or direct links to pictures) of rigs like these. I have an idea of what I want to do, but there are details I need to iron out that pictures will help with. I need side shots of all, plus a rear shot of the ALF.

I am working on these designs (and several others!) between all the other stuff I have to get done, but as my friend Tiny says, I gotta have some awake dream time! Thanks buddy, I'll do that! :D
R H

Re: Need help with 3 TDAs

Postby cargostar on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Heres a CFD IH/Seagrave of the similar vintage.
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Rob, go to my Photobucket, then Fire/Rescue Reference, then Truck Co's. Possibly some in Fire/Rescue Antique. Hopefully something will be of help to you. Link to it in my signature.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby R H on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks Dave and Tiny. Any more anyone?
R H

Postby Aaronw on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 am

Well its a bit rough, but I think this is about the vintage you are looking for.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby ChrisMooney on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 am

RH PM me with your address. I have about 50 photos of two ALF Tillers with the hydrolic jacks ill burn you a CD.
ChrisMooney

Postby R H on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Well, looking at my reference books, I didn't see what I was looking for. I'm waiting For Chris Mooney's mail. These may all be custom "shop" rigs.

The TDAs that I didn't mention is:
a Dodge L-700 drawn TDA
a modern TDA, depending on which custom cab strikes my fancy. I can tell you it probably won't be a Seagrave or ALF Eagle. I'm waiting to see which cab Jamie releases next and also Dave's (Cargostar's) Spartan.

Another shop truck is a Seagrave pulled Super Tanker (tractor trailer) with pump.
R H

Postby Aaronw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:26 am

The Dodge L600/700 is a much lighter duty truck than the Ford C or L, IH Cargo Star etc. Most that I've seen were rescue trucks or pumpers. I don't recall seeing one but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dodge squirt, a TDA seems like quite a stretch for the chassis. While unlikely you never know, particularly when it comes to department rebuilds. Quite a few departments bought commercial tractors to pull an older TDA or water tower trailer so anything is possible.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby EHFDtower751 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 pm

here is a 1978 ALF century from the Elmira Fire Dept.

I might be able to get better pics if you need them........wont be anytime soon though because I'm pretty much laid up with viral bronchitis.
EHFDtower751

Postby R H on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:17 am

EHFDtower751 wrote:here is a 1978 ALF century from the Elmira Fire Dept.

I might be able to get better pics if you need them........wont be anytime soon though because I'm pretty much laid up with viral bronchitis.

Thanks, but I'm looking for TDA's, A.K.A. Tractor Drawn Aerials.
R H

Postby EHFDtower751 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:38 pm

okay

What about this one............I dont really have alot of info. on it though.....(I'm actually REALLY limited on info. fo rit)

EHFDtower751

Postby cargostar on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

This was posted in another topic, but, if you go to the bottom of the page , they are replacing the ladder on a TDA. Might give you some ideas!
http://www.lastresortfd.org/maintenance.htm
cargostar

Postby R H on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks guys. I'm stillthining mine might have to be a "shops" job, as I'm not seeing the type I'm looking for. I was hoping for one with he same type of stabilizers (swing down) as in the AMT kits, but on a TDA.
R H

Postby ChrisMooney on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:33 pm

RH that is whats on your CD :) It should be there by next week :)
ChrisMooney

Postby R H on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 pm

ChrisMooney wrote:RH that is whats on your CD :) It should be there by next week :)

Thanks! :D
R H

Postby Modelmaker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Just curious but how did these come out....inquiring minds would like to know....Gary :D
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby GLMFAA1 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:10 pm

This what I can contribute, ALF drawing of turntable detail
sorry, :( just screw jacks
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby Modelmaker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:42 pm

After looking at those drawings I see where I went wrong in my Tiller.....Dagnabit.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby R H on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, Gary, I'm still in design mode. Since it seems they never used the same type as what's on the AMT Ladder Chief, I guess I'm going to make it one built in "the shops".
R H

Postby Tiny 26 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:48 am

Excellent drawings, Thanks for sharing them Greg.

Modelmaker wrote:After looking at those drawings I see where I went wrong in my Tiller.....Dagnabit.....Gary

Me too - by starting mine :oops: .
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:16 am

R H wrote:Well, Gary, I'm still in design mode. Since it seems they never used the same type as what's on the AMT Ladder Chief, I guess I'm going to make it one built in "the shops".

Ah! They did use hydraulic jacks on the tillers, I need to get to my ALF reference material and I can find a photo and if you can reference Gilberts tiller ladder in an old model magazine he has them on his, I put them on my tiller which is in some box in my garage. as they say in telecommunications 'please stand by' :)
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 am

Greg,
Great drawings, especially with the measurements!
Rob,
Don't fret. With your creativity, you'll come up with something. I have seen where one modeler took threaded rod or a screw, and used a tap/die set to actually make the screw mechanism work. Wish I had pictures, but I don't. Perhaps one of our resident engineers can provide some suggestions on how to do this. Look forward to seeing this project. In the mean time, I'll add the drawings to my "Tiller" file...

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby csp448 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:46 pm

ChrisMooney wrote:RH that is whats on your CD :) It should be there by next week :)

Mine too :?: :?: :?: ;)
Pierre from Canada . Enjoy your hobby . Built some fun .
csp448
Captain
Captain

Postby cargostar on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Working screw jacks wouldn't be hard at all. A piece of threaded rod that would be fixed to the hinged arm, and a matching nut glued to a length of tube, with the ground plate on the end. Swing the arm down, and turn the nut/tube down untill it had pressure on it.
cargostar

Postby smeders on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:29 am

I have afew pics for the Dodge L700
(They are small but they are ALL i could find, sorry if they dont help)

smeders

Next

Return to The Hot Seat