Park College Brush - 1

Get Some Critiquing of Your Build, No Hard Feelings Allowed Though!

Park College Brush - 1

Postby Tiny 26 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm throwing myself to the wolves so to speak. This is Brush - 1 for my fictional Park College Volunteer Fire Department. The town thinks highly of the guys & trys to make sure they have good equipment. The 1 picture that didn't turn out was the shot from the rear, so give me your thoughts on these 3. Thanks.

It's a Testors 1998 Ford F-350, with the cab & chassis built straight out of the box. It came with the flat bed I used, a stake side bed & a p/u bed. I used Testors Dull Kote on the front bumper, grille & wheels, after all, it's going off road. The light bar was generously donated by Chris Mooney, the grille lights, cab spot light & side marker lights are from my spares box. The 2 rear spotlights are from my old MPC "Cooter's Wrecker". The tank is the bottom 1/3 of the cargo box from the AMT C-600 kit. The booster reel & rollers are narrowed AMT ALF pieces, the ends made of Evergreen sheet & the hose is electrical wire. The pump is scratch built & the motor is the engine from the push tractor in the AMT Lotus Turbine Indy car. I made the mud flaps & the rear floodlights. The tools & extinguishers came from the spares box. I made the brush flaps & rakes. I see some errors, now I need input from the House members on how I can improve it or another like it.

Last edited by Tiny 26 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Re: Ehfar Township Brush - 1

Postby smokeater81 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Looks great to me Tiny. We have a truck similar to that in my vol. fd.
smokeater81

Postby Pinolafire on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:51 pm

T-man That looks awesome, plant that beauty in the display case and get it in service.
Matt :mrgreen:
Pinolafire

Postby cargostar on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Other than painting the door handles,stick a fork in it!
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby R H on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Tiny, Looks great! Thanks for the idea! What did you do for taillights? I have one of those, and I didn't see anything for them.
The only addition I would reccomend would be a set of tubes (sprayers) under the front bumper.
R H

Postby kap64 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:34 am

Looks fine to me too!
kap64

Postby mark on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 am

Great looking model!
I like the little gas engine from the lawn tractor. 8-)
What gauge wire was used for the hose?
Keep up the good work.
mark

Postby Tiny 26 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks guys. Painting the door handles never crossed my mind :oops: . I realized when we were taking the pictures it wouldn't pass state inspection without taillights, I forgot those - again :oops: . And the sprayers are a neat idea that will be added along with taillights. Got to figure something out for a booster nozzle, my attempts at making 1 didn't turn out too good. Next photo session, we'll take some photos with these additions, as well as some of the bed. :D

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby ChrisMooney on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Tiny i used 18g Black or red wire.. you can pick up 30' of it at walmort for less than $4
ChrisMooney

Postby cfbush2000 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:25 pm

It looks great Tiny. I love Brush Trucks. :D
PM on the way.
cfbush2000

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks Chris & Chuck. I think it was 18 guage wire, the labels gone from the roll. Got the PM Chuck ;) .

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 pm

OK, This is the HOT SEAT,and you asked, so here goes..Box it up and send it to me, I'll hide it for you tiny, so no one ever see's it again.. It's just horrible that you must look at such a model.. :? ;) :shock: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
FIREMODELMAN

Postby spd officer on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:49 pm

It's a good looking piece, wouldn't change a thing. Dave
spd officer

Postby Aaronw on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Ok, you asked for it so no getting mad...

Actually I can't really find anything, except for the door handles which was mentioned allready. Of course you didn't give us a shot from behind so there could be something hiding there. Only thing that jumps out potentially is the fire extinguishers, I can't tell from the pics if they are secured in someway, if not you might want to make some brackets for them, if you already have then never mind. The wheels are a bit shiny but that is personal taste, I'm used to the low bid government rigs. The government would never spring for chrome wheels on a brush truck, but a department with some pride very well might.

It looks good Tiny, fix the stuff you noticed yourself and call it good.

Oh for the nozzle I've used plastic tubing, you can score a line about 1/8" above the base and and it makes a pretty good representation of a 1" barrel nozzle (which I just realized I don't have an example of on my site). These are very common nozzles on hose reels. I'll have to get some pics and add some 1" nozzles to my site.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:11 am

FIREMODELMAN wrote:OK, This is the HOT SEAT,and you asked, so here goes..Box it up and send it to me, I'll hide it for you tiny, so no one ever see's it again.. It's just horrible that you must look at such a model.. :? ;) :shock: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

:D I'll get it boxed up, but it'll be the 31st of this month before I can ship it. ;) Thanks Dave.

Thanks Dave (SPD) & Aaron. Somehow we managed to NOT take a rear photo-duh :oops: . I also forgot the tail lights double :oops: :oops: . The fire extinguishers have molded brackts on them, hard to see in the photos. The wheels do look like painted steel in person, thay are kinda shiney in the photo. The crew musta just washed the truck. This is after spraying them with Testors Dull Cote. They & the grille were such a shiney chrome, they'd hurt your eyes. I agree with you about not having alot of bling & chrome on trucks. And I sure won't get mad - I appreciate the critique from everyone. It's the only way to try & better yourself. I'm a sucker for punishment & I plan to put my Trumpeter ALF on here hopefully in a few weeks.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby Aaronw on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:01 pm

I forgot about the tail lights, if that is the Testors 3-1 diecast F350, you will see they actually have the brackets for tail lights, just no lights. I cut a couple of small rectangles, covered them in Bare Metal Foil, glued them on then painted them with Tamiya clear red.

Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks Aaron.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby spankyff on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Great Job Tiny. It would be interesting to see a close up view of the pump and controls for the pump. Might give me some ideas on how to approach the Brush Truck I'm currently working on.
spankyff

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks Spanky, more photos are comming. Right now a friend
is taking photos for me, not exactly sure when he'll be around again.
A digital camera is looking like a near future purchase finally tho.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby modelguy76 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Where did you get the mower engine from? I could use some.

Ken
modelguy76

Re: Park College Brush - 1

Postby Tiny 26 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:11 am

:oops: Sorry to take so long to answer Ken. The engine is from the lawn tractor/push tractor in the MPC or AMT Lotus Turbine Indy car kit. Some of the guys have listed where you can get just a resin engine also. Look in the Truck Bay or Tutorial sections.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Postby mark on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:17 am

Here you go Ken. These cost $3.50 when I got mine earlier this yearfrom Scale Equipment Ltd.
Tiny, that brush unit looking good. The dullcote tip really worked well for me. 8-)
Thanks

ImageHosted on Fotki
mark

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Don Mills has some nice white metal nozzles that would work just great. He has a pistol grip type as well as a regular combination nozzle. Cut off a piece of aluminum tubing for a coupling and join the nozzle and wire and voila! A completed hose reel.
How about a simple brush guard for the front end. Can't really call it a brush truck without something like that can ya? :lol: A diamond plate equipment box mounted on the body would come in handy too for a gate valve and hydant wrench and filler hose. How about a pump can? 8-)
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks Mark & Charley. I had let this slide out of place in the build list. It's now on the bench sporting taillights( :oops: ), & I have the list of suggestions to finish it. Chuck Bush was kind enough to hook me up with 1 each of those nozzle Charley, so now I'll put the pistol grip on this & the straight nozzle on E-1.

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26

Return to The Hot Seat