Bear Fire Dept. Brush Unit 416

Get Some Critiquing of Your Build, No Hard Feelings Allowed Though!

Bear Fire Dept. Brush Unit 416

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Hey Guys,
I've been working on this Hummer brush unit for a while now. Here is the current progress to date:
My question is this. I painted the pump, plumbing and gasoline tank a dark red color. My reasoning is that if I had painted it the same yellow as the body, all of the details would just blend together. Also, the darker color would hide any dirt, or grease better.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Bear Fire Dept. Brush Unit 416

Postby ChrisMooney on Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 pm

David, It looks great... if you cover the Diamond plate with BMF that should make it look better.. I dont think the red makes it look bad just need some Chrome... Really nice job on the pump..
ChrisMooney

Postby cargostar on Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 pm

I agree, even a brush truck needs a little "BLING" ;) Alittle detail paint with some silver on the pump fittings, etc. could help alos. Other wise looks good so far! Any ideas on lettering?
cargostar

Postby R H on Mon May 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Looks great! I might have to copy that idea. :D
R H

Postby Chris on Tue May 13, 2008 12:10 am

Yup, I think a little detail painting and even a wash to bring out the details even more would make it look great. The red on it looks fine to me, you are right if it was the same color as the body it would blend right in and that would be a shame.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby Aaronw on Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 am

I agree with the others, the red looks fine. Not only does it stand out, but red is a common factory color for pumps and plumbing. If you feel like its too much red you could always replace the booster line with black hose. Throw some tools & mounting brackets on the tank top, maybe some rolled hose or hose packs stuffed in somewhere and it will look great. AITM sells some nice white metal shovels, the flat head axe in the old ALF kit can easily be made into a pulaski, and a mcleod, council rake or swatter (depending on your region) are fairly simple to scratchbuild.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby hooknladderno1 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. This is the same unit that I built all of the hand tools for below:
I have a 2 page list of items to complete for this project. Among them is treating the diamondplate with an application of either Alclad or Bare Metal Foil. I have a new sheet of both the chrome and matte aluminum BMF. I also have plenty of the Highly Polished Aluminum Alclad. I am waiting on a backorder with an unknown delivery date of the Alclad Chrome. I hae been working on many bits and pieces for valve handles, and other details for the pump and plumbing. I looked in the Ziamatic catalog to get some ideas for the booster line nozzle, portable equipment and hand tools. The truck will receive the standard Station 4 royal blue striping, along with "gold leaf" lettering and maltese cross on the doors.
There really isn't much room for much more lettering, with the exception of the rear of the diamondplate covered tank. I don't hae any pictures of it handy, but it basically takes up the standard area between the tailights, normally covered by the tailgate. Thanks again. I will post pictures of my "In Progress" section.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby ChrisMooney on Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Oh Oh i have an idea... For the lettering... You know how they have ladder Boards on strait sticks.. Maby you can cut a small piesce of strene and paint it yellow than put the Fd name on it the place that over the diamond plate tank... crazy i know :roll: :lol:
ChrisMooney

Postby hooknladderno1 on Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Chris,
Great idea! I will have to play around with it and see how it comes out. I will post the results. Thanks.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Driver E10 on Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Could you do a tutorial on the pump. I'm doing a skid unit for a brush truck and cannot figure out how to do a pump for it. Any help (and pics) would be greatly appreciated. Especially a portable pump that can be mounted on the skid unit.
Driver E10

Postby hooknladderno1 on Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 am

Paul,
I will try and put something together. As a start, if you have a chance, get some reference pictures of what you would like to build. I find it helpful to draw a schematic of what plumbing you wish to place where. Many pumps use lawn mower type gas engines for power. Some of the members here have mentioned that they obtain engines from a Lotus race car kit, or a company in Florida, Scale Equipment Limited?(the exact name escapes me at the moment). I used a modified piece available from Don Mills at one time. Most of the plumbing is made from a kit available from Walthers. It is an oilfield pipeline kit that contains several different sizes of pipe, elbows, and different connectors that would be great for plumbing or brush bars on a brush truck. The great thing about this product is that it is made from styrene, so it is easy to cut, glue, and manipulate. It even has little feet that would work great to hold it the right distance away from the bodywork if using it for brushbars. I reccommend getting some epoxy putty such as Milliput to help blend some of the components together. It is especially helpful when using raw shapes of metal tubing or plastic, as well as pieces from the parts box. Depending on the era pump that you are making, you can make shut off valves from round headed chrome pins(shortened) glued to sliced bits of sprue or the small piping from the Walthers kit mentioned above. I tried drilling holes for inserting the pins, but the resulting pieces came out too thick. Don Mills makes a nice set of chromed discharge covers which can help to dress up the pump tremendously. I also like to use a technique described in the tutorial on making large suction hose. Take a small, thin piece of stryene strip. and wrap it around the piping to represent the normal lines that protrude around the ends of plumbing elbows, and joints. This will also help to add visual interest and detail to you plumbing. You can go much farther with your detailing efforts such as adding small chain to the discharge covers, and labels to the valves and plumbing. Also, most pumps have a small panel with a gauge or two, a few buttons etc. Some also have indicator lights for the tank water level. The additional amount of detail you add will depend upon your level of desire. I personally am not familiar with the portable pumps as you described, as most of the brush trucks that I have operated or have been around have had the small "fixed" pumps on them. You may wish to Google "portable water pumps" to get resource information if you don't already have it. Unfortunately, I am at work, so I can't attach any pictures to better describe my words here. As I said earlier, I will try to put together a more complete tutorial with pictures in the future. Good luck.
Sincerely,

David
hooknladderno1

Postby Driver E10 on Thu May 15, 2008 4:01 pm

David;
Thank you for the reply. It was very helpful. As far as the Don Mills stuff, I have a draw full of various items. About the only thing I'm Missing is the small chain(but not for long). What I'm designing this truck after is the Rhode Island State forestry trucks of the late 70's ,early 80's. They were Ford pick-ups equiped with a slide in unit that held either 150 or 200 gallons.I don't remember which. But they had a pump called a Mark-3(here again I don't remember who made it) but it could be permanently mounted, or used as a portable pump. I don't have any photo's of it, only my memory to go on. Not looking to good at this stage is it :roll: :lol: It was mounted in the rear of the skid unit and piped to a booster reel on top of the tank. It also had a single 2 1/2 inch discharge that could be used for forestry hose with the right coupling's. I'm not looking to make an exact replica of the truck or any equipment on it, This was just to give a better idea of what I'm trying to build.I don't have the time right now but later this evening I'm going to check out the companies you mentioned and do some google'ing and see what I can find.
Thank You again
Driver E10

Postby lfd214 on Fri May 16, 2008 9:56 am

Paul, google Wajax Pacific you should find all kinds of pumps like your looking for.lfd214
lfd214

Postby Will-e16 on Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Dave, it really looks great. I agree it needs some silver or gun metal on the pump. as for the running boards I would use the brush aluminum. It is a truck that is going into the woods and chrome would look too much for that kind of truck.

Will
Will-e16

Postby Driver E10 on Sat May 17, 2008 11:05 pm

lfd214 wrote:Paul, google Wajax Pacific you should find all kinds of pumps like your looking for.lfd214

Sure did. Added them to my favorites. Thank You for the link.
Driver E10

Postby chariots of fire on Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 am

I like the brush unit you're doing. :) I think if you just add a wash to the pump and fittings it will bring out some of the detail. A dry wash with a lighter color will bring out highlites. Not to much chrome here; remember it is a brush unit and most don't have a lot of fancy stuff. At least it doesn't stay fancy very long.
I recently took some pics of a Massachusetts DCR unit at Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth. It has a skid unit with forestry hose. I'll try and post some for you.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Return to The Hot Seat