Nassau P.D. Ambulance

Post The Meat Wagons In Here

Nassau P.D. Ambulance

Postby 41chevy on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Nassau County Police Department on Long Island used to provide Ambulance service to it's smaller communities that had no fire departments and for County highway accidents. This is one. The Johan Cadillac and decals from Scale Squads (?). Paul
41chevy

Re: Nassau P.D. Ambulance

Postby FF10129 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 pm

cool paint job!
FF10129
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby rekcirb13 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Paul,
I like this build! It is reminiscent of the, now defunct, Metropolitan District Police vehicles of the 1965 - 1970 era. When this paint scheme was in use, the cruisers were commonly called HoJo cruisers due to the similarity of the Howard Johnson Restaurants' color scheme. ( This was a state agency in Mass., which covered the Boston and surrounding area metropolitan parks, roadways, and property. In 1992, it merged, along with two other state law enforcement agencies, into the Mass. State Police.)
Bob
"And, hey, let's be careful out there..."
rekcirb13
Firefighter

Postby 41chevy on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 am

Interesting!! We never thought about Ho Jo colors, but you're right! Paul
41chevy

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:54 am

Wonderful build Paul, sorry I just seen it. Bob may be able to answer this question, but WHY did they put there light bars and beacons so far back on the cars?? I've looked at the pics and links that Bob posted on my Rambler build, and seen alot of the wagons with lights past the rear doors. Looks odd to me??But anyway, REALLY NICE subject and model.KUDO'S..
FIREMODELMAN

Postby rekcirb13 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Dave,
I don't have an official explanation to your question. I am guessing that this was some "desk jockey's" idea as to what a smart design was. Obviously, whoever came up with this idea, was afflicted with a condition, commonly referred to in police circles, as "Rectal-Cranial Inversion". I do know that when this agency ( the Metropolitan District Commission Police [more commonly known as the M.D.C. Police, or just the Mets] went to this paint/ graphics scheme in 1965, the majority of the cruisers had the light bars mounted in this rearward location. As such, it placed the safety of the cops, as well as the public in general, in jeopardy, as, when these cruisers entered an intersection, came out of a parking lot or side street with the emergency lights activated, the motoring public did not see them until they were just about on top of the cruisers. The Mets retained this practice until around 1975, when they started to mount the light bars closer to the front of the roof of the cruisers, just over the front seat.

Let me suggest a visit to my friend, Mike Rubino's, website, M.D.C. Police Photos. If you look at the directory on the home page, there are links to photos of the Met cruisers through the years until the merger into the Mass. State Police in 1992. It is broken down into years and paint/ graphics schemes during various time periods. Of interest, is the 1905 through the 1964 era. During the late 1950's until the end of 1964, the Mets painted their cruisers black, with a light gray roof. There was a single siren/ roof light unit over the front seat area, and a Federal Model 17 Beacon Ray mounted on the rear section over the rear seat area. The placement of the HoJo era cruiser light bars may have been a carryover of this theme.
Here is the link to his site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mmrubino/site/ ... 1965-1984/

Hope this sheds some light on this subject.
Bob
rekcirb13
Firefighter

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Great photos' and great expalnation Bob. But IMHO, this just looks stupid..
FIREMODELMAN

Postby rekcirb13 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Dave,
Couldn't agree with you more! This was the prevailing opinion around here at the time, too.
Bob
rekcirb13
Firefighter

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Kinda reminds me of some older fire dept cars that the city of Hamilton Ohio ran years ago, some of the Chiefs ran Ford wagon's , and they mounted a Q on the rear of the roof. I always thought , wow thats gotta be loud inside the car, and trust me, they used them.
FIREMODELMAN

Postby GLMFAA1 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 am

Just my two cents into this, since I have no idea what the yankee's were up to, :? but would it have been possible that they used the locations of the dome lights to determine where they were drilling the holes? :o
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby rekcirb13 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am

Hi Greg,
Kind of doubtful, as the dome lights, or interior courtesy lights, were usually installed in the area of the roof between the front and rear seats closer to the center of the roof, rather than the rear section.
I tend to think that the location was decided upon by some self-proclaimed "efficiency expert" within the department. Probably got a promotion out of it.
Bob
rekcirb13
Firefighter

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 pm

it would be a real treat to be able to get the REAL story behind why they installed the lights that way. I have never seen that set up anywhere else in the country. Gotta be a reason behind it?? :? :?
FIREMODELMAN

Postby rekcirb13 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:14 am

Hi Dave,
I can't offer any official explanation for this, other that the probability of "rectal-cranial inversion" on the part of the decision maker.
Bob
rekcirb13
Firefighter

Return to Ambulances