Mack CF Cabs from AITM

Post Your Reviews Of Kits, Products And Services Here

Mack CF Cabs from AITM

Postby R H on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Well, I got both cabs today. I will admit decent service with an appology for the missed communication. I will try to get pictures of the kits and upload them tomorrow. Later I will do a photo shoot of our Mack CF 685.

One thing I noticed is there are "belly-buttons" to be removed from some of the castings, incuding the inside roof of the cab. A little careful work could turn it into a light.
The cabs are cast as shells, the front bumpers are nicely cast, and the interior is multi-piece. Over all,the castings are pretty good, however the is detail missing from inside the cab doors, no window cranks, door pull handles, or door levers. Most of these can be replicated with pieces available elsewhere.
There are several cast metal pieces for the kit, including the grab handles, bulldog for the front, and some of the lights and more. (I'll break this down tomorrow) There are also decals that include the MACK for the front (raised castings would have been better, and Mack and CF-600 for the sides for the canopy style, but the Mack side scripts are cast separate for the FDNY short four door.
As I have never handled the original castings, I cannot tell you if these are lighter, but they do fill a void.

Dave Natale said he will be releasing the Mack MC / MR fire canopy cab later.
R H

Re: Mack CF Cabs from AITM

Postby ChrisMooney on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

RH Nice review.. I hope to get some of these at the NNL East...
ChrisMooney

Postby R H on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:12 pm

SOme of this will be a comparison bewteen the 2 kits, but mostly this will be strait up for each individual kit.

Okay, first lets talk about kit # CFK-1, the ack CF-600 Canopy.
The shell is nicely cast with the exception of what looks like a belly button on the underside. Careful work could turn it into a dome light.

The cab partition is cast pewter. There are 4 seats,plus the air-ride for the drivers seat, plus the front and back of the "interior" are 2 separate parts.

The Mack logos (Bulldogs) and scripts are cast pieces, (bulldogs missing from this shot) and there is a MACK decal for the front and CF-600 decals for the sides.

Most of the little parts are cast pewter, with the exception of the stearing column and stearing wheel, which are resin. The rest of the small parts include: tow hooks, Bulldog logo, headlights, flashers, mechanical siren head, wipers, petals, grab handles, spotlights, fire extinguisher, airhorns, and what looks like the back of the siren housing, but it is too small.

CFK-6 is the first version that New York used of the enclosed Mack CF, what most companies now call a short-4-door.

The underside

Slight difference with this kits interior and cab is the front steps are separate items, and there are notches in the engine cover (dog house) for the back of the cab. The air-ride for the seat in my version is cast pewter.

Both front bumpers are the same, but they have that "belly button" on the bottom.

Logo's are the same.

Small parts

Close up of the mirrors (sorry, slightly out of focus)

You will have to make the mirror frames from some type of wire. Dave also also includes a sheet of clear film for the windows, and tells that the pewter parts "can either be buffed to a shine or painted" and recommends epoxy for them.

Enjoy!
R H

Postby struitte on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I received mine yesterday. They are much lighter than the original casting. They are a big improvement over the original! I think I will trash my originals because these are much better. I also bought a Mack L. It is a very good kit also.

R H wrote:Well, I got both cabs today. I will admit decent service with an appology for the missed communication. I will try to get pictures of the kits and upload them tomorrow. Later I will do a photo shoot of our Mack CF 685.

One thing I noticed is there are "belly-buttons" to be removed from some of the castings, incuding the inside roof of the cab. A little careful work could turn it into a light.
The cabs are cast as shells, the front bumpers are nicely cast, and the interior is multi-piece. Over all,the castings are pretty good, however the is detail missing from inside the cab doors, no window cranks, door pull handles, or door levers. Most of these can be replicated with pieces available elsewhere.
There are several cast metal pieces for the kit, including the grab handles, bulldog for the front, and some of the lights and more. (I'll break this down tomorrow) There are also decals that include the MACK for the front (raised castings would have been better, and Mack and CF-600 for the sides for the canopy style, but the Mack side scripts are cast separate for the FDNY short four door.
As I have never handled the original castings, I cannot tell you if these are lighter, but they do fill a void.

Dave Natale said he will be releasing the Mack MC / MR fire canopy cab later.
struitte

Postby R H on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:07 am

Some corrections, first, I am dysexic, the above mentioned kitsa are CFK-1 and CFK-5, not CFK-6.

Next, a statement from Dave Natale:

Rob,I saw the write up and wanted to tell you that I usually remove the resin fill tube(belly button) from all castings.These have been selling so fast that I "missed" some clean up work I usually do.All future casting will have a clean inside roof. None of my conversions have inside door detail.
I will send the missing 1/2 dogs for the doors and also some resin Mack script for the front of the truck.I started selling my resin conversions with the resin Mack scripts but most of my customers request decals.I prefer the resin(raised)look but seams most don't.Dave

Wow, talk about service and paying attention. Many cudos to Dave! I look forward to his future releases! :D
R H

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:17 am

First,
Dave Natale, thanks for improving upon and recasting this cab. I really like the new front bumper. I also like the way that you can have the raised resin "MACK" lettering. It really adds depth and realism. Rob, thanks for the review and photos. Struitte, I appreciate your comments also. I have two questions. [b]Can someone shoot side views of the CFK-1 cab?[/b] I have one each of the old MTFA cabs, and each of the sides is distorted with respect to the rear jumpseat area windows. The only fix that I could think of was to make a horizontal cut and fill in the section that slopes to the rear. [b] My other question is how to prep the pewter parts to make them shine?[/b] What is the best method, brass bristle brush in a Dremel tool, polish, etc. I have several of the old MTFA kits with the pewter parts, and have never built them. I would like to know, would be nice to finally use them. From the sounds of it. it may be easier to scrap the old MTFA cabs and use Dave's improved versions! Thanks guys!
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby ChrisMooney on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:18 pm

WOW They do look great I hope Dave brings lots to the NNL... Im shure ill be buying one of each... Thanks Dave Natale
ChrisMooney

Postby b81sx on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks for the good feed back on the Mack CF-600 conversions.I need to thank Rick Mark for doing most of the work on fixing CFK-5 Mack CF-600 FDNY cab.The masters for these conversions were damaged and needed lots of work to make them what they are today.
As far as fixing the old MTFA castings,it can be done but won't be easy.I have been building Etter/MTFA conversions for 20 some years and spent many hours making them buildable.If you have lots of time then go for it but wear eye and breathing protection(old resins can be harmful)The new resins I use are safe.
Pewter parts-clean up with small fine files,then polish with fine steel wool.You can also use a Dremel with cloth polishing bits or tube polish and a rag.I perfer steel wool.
Special thanks also to Charles Rowley for the super job refining the CFK-3 Mack "L" firecab.
Thanks,Dave-A.I.T.M.
hooknladderno1 wrote:First,
Dave Natale, thanks for improving upon and recasting this cab. I really like the new front bumper. I also like the way that you can have the raised resin "MACK" lettering. It really adds depth and realism. Rob, thanks for the review and photos. Struitte, I appreciate your comments also. I have two questions. [b]Can someone shoot side views of the CFK-1 cab?[/b] I have one each of the old MTFA cabs, and each of the sides is distorted with respect to the rear jumpseat area windows. The only fix that I could think of was to make a horizontal cut and fill in the section that slopes to the rear. [b] My other question is how to prep the pewter parts to make them shine?[/b] What is the best method, brass bristle brush in a Dremel tool, polish, etc. I have several of the old MTFA kits with the pewter parts, and have never built them. I would like to know, would be nice to finally use them. From the sounds of it. it may be easier to scrap the old MTFA cabs and use Dave's improved versions! Thanks guys!
Sincerely,

David
b81sx

Postby R H on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 am

Dave, I think we all thank you for your hard work bringing these back to life! :D
R H

Postby Daveski25 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 am

What do you guys recomend for making the windshield for the Mack CF Cab? Clear sheet Styrene maybe?
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby R H on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:11 pm

It comes with a piece of clear stock along with a template for the windows. Sorry if I forgot to mention that. :oops:
R H

Return to Reviews