Trumpeter College Park ALF

Post Your Reviews Of Kits, Products And Services Here

Trumpeter College Park ALF

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:33 pm

I finally did it. I pulled out one of two Trumpeter kits that I have had for a while and decided to build one. I had looked it over some before but now that I'm getting started, I'm going to list those things that either impress me or disappoint me as I go along. I'll also post a pic or two for those parts of the construction where I have made some changes (hopefully improvement type changes).
Lets start with the things that have impressed me so far. (I'm just completing the frame construction)
1. The number of parts just to fill out the frame. Modern apparatus have so many more add-ons to the frame in one way or another. It will take some learning to know what all of it is since I'm not a truck or diesel mechanic by any stretch.
2. Parts had very little flash and where there was some it was easy to remove with a bit of sanding and a file.
3. The parts have been well packaged and the instructions make good reference to the parts. The secondary instructions for small parts that go together before mounting on the frame are also a plus.
4. The built up frame is impressive all by itself. If it wasn't for the fact that much of it gets covered up with the cab and body, I would be tempted to do some fancy painting and drybrushing to bring out the hi-lites.

Now for some of the disappointments.
1. That engine oil pan is all there is and that is a disappointment. I guess if there is no way the engine will be seen once the model is built, then there is no point in putting one in. But that's just me. I'd like to know it's there.
2. The mounted air tanks that mount to the outside of the frame rails are open for all to see. Usually the air tanks that are separate are molded in such a way that at least the open part is up against the mounted body. That way you don't see that they are fake. I'm going to correct that with a section of plastic tubing.
3. The instructions for mounting the air cans on the inside of the springs could be bit clearer. And the fit is not that great. I ended up having to sand off a bit next to the springs so they would lie straight.
4. When I removed the drive shafts from the tree I could not believe what I was seeing! They have got to be the worst representation ever! The old AMT kits at least have a modicum of accuracy for the ends. These aen't even close. I chose to cut them off and make my own ends out of brass tubing and strip stock. Pics of them will be posted right soon.

That's about it for now. There will be more to comment on as work progresses. Pics will be posted at the "In Progress" section of the forum. :D
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Trumpeter College Park ALF

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Here are some frame pics so far. You can see the driveshaft change that has already been done.
I was cought by surprise when I started to build up the ALF pump! Quite a difference from the older style used in the 900 series AMT kit!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby csp448 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey Charlie , good start . Could you explain how you did the drivesahft joints ?? I may try my hand at making them , since I have 2 pumpers in my little stash . Maybe a photo '' how to '' Thank's and I will be watching your build very carefully . Pierre 8-) ;)
Pierre from Canada . Enjoy your hobby . Built some fun .
csp448
Captain
Captain

Postby Chris on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Not only do the drive shafts lack detail but they are a PITA to install! Oh another thing about the frame, those round things inside the frame, I have yet to find anyone that knows what they are and they are not on the actual truck.

But that drive shaft you built is wicked!
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 pm

csp448 wrote:Hey Charlie , good start . Could you explain how you did the drivesahft joints ?? I may try my hand at making them , since I have 2 pumpers in my little stash . Maybe a photo '' how to '' Thank's and I will be watching your build very carefully . Pierre 8-) ;)

Sure. Will take a couple more pics for reference. They take a little time but the effect is worth it I think.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Pierre: The how to is posted in the Tutorials section of the forum.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:01 am

Been working a bit more on the ALF. The kit has nice tires and includes inserts to help keep the tires "inflated" out to the rims. Somebody did some thinking on that one! I enhanced the tires a bit by sanding the tread and then wiped the sidewalls with some Testors thinner. This took off the sheen that would not be there inless the next stop was a parade. They are just too glossy.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby sffire on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 am

I just opened my kit. There is no Hard Suction on this thing.
sffire
Engineer

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Lots of urban rigs don't carry hard suction. They would use soft suction on hydrants. Perhaps College Park doesn't do drafting! :lol:
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby sffire on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:23 am

Oh OK. I'd guess being in California, and in the San Francisco Bay Area, we do use hard suctions to draft.
sffire
Engineer

Postby Todd57 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 am

I used the ALF Trumpter kit to make a Emergency one Peterbilt Engine. It was a Perfect match to what I see most Manufactures are have componets instead of on long Body.

Todd57

Postby Ben on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Very nice Toledo rig. Im actually building one of the new Peterbilt Rosenbauer engines and the new Rosenbauer truck right now in 1/25 scale.
Ben

Postby Modelmaker on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 am

WOW, that's one nice rig.......Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby hooknladderno1 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 am

Todd57 wrote:I used the ALF Trumpter kit to make a Emergency one Peterbilt Engine. It was a Perfect match to what I see most Manufactures are have componets instead of on long Body.

Todd,
Nice work! Might I suggest that you start your own thread on this build. That way, we all can see more photos of this project! It would be great to see more in progress shots if you have them.

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1

Postby Frofgarm on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Has anyone done anything with the steering linkages? I have one assembled kit that was put together totally stock other than lettering. Looks good from above, but I know its not there. My second kit I plan on converting to a rescue truck and plan on fixing stuff like this on it.
Frofgarm
Probie

Return to Reviews