Testors diecast Dodge Charger Police

Post Your Reviews Of Kits, Products And Services Here

Testors diecast Dodge Charger Police

Postby R H on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Got one today, and WOW!
It is made so many variations of the Charger can be made, and there are parts specifically for the plice variation in it. It is decorated as the "Demo" unit Dodge showed inerested agencies. There is a correct center console, but I have to check about the shifter, because I thought it was a column shift, but the kit's shifter locates to a hole in the dash.
Additional police pakage equipment:
Front pushguard with small accessory lights with separate lenses
Strobe style mirrors (with the strobes painted)
Rear deck lights (unpainted)
cage
Edge style, pre-painted lightbar (which needs help), with correct looking brackets!
Yellow dome light
steel wheels
Spot lights with inside handles!
Fog lights molded clear, pre-painted black (as they are black fillers on the real car)

Other surprising details:
Map lights have separate clear lenses
Nicely detailed engine (needs paint detailing and a HEMI logo though)
separate rocker panels

This is basically a plastic kit, with a metal body only! Hope to build this one soon so I can post pictures!
R H

Re: Testors diecast Dodge Charger Police

Postby Aaronw on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 am

About time, I Guess I better get down to Fresno and get some pics so I'll be ready when these start showing up.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby ChrisMooney on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 am

Nice RH... Ill have to see if I can get one at the NNL East
ChrisMooney

Postby hooknladderno1 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Chris,
Don't get your hopes up of finding one at the NNL East. Unless things have changed, the vendors don't usually carry much die-cast there. You may wish to try other sources. Good luck though.
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby ChrisMooney on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 pm

hooknladderno1 wrote:Chris,
Don't get your hopes up of finding one at the NNL East. Unless things have changed, the vendors don't usually carry much die-cast there. You may wish to try other sources. Good luck though.
Sincerely,

David

Very true... But with the lack of NEW Plastic out there I betting some vendor might have these to feed our addictions. :) :)

Len @ Fantastic Plastics might have them..
ChrisMooney

Postby kap64 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:32 pm

The shifter goes into a rectangular hole just to the right of the steering column actually in the dash.
kap64

Postby R H on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:24 am

kap64 wrote:The shifter goes into a rectangular hole just to the right of the steering column actually in the dash.

On the real car? I know it does on the model. Gotta try to get a close up look (with out getting in trouble :D ) at a local one.
R H

Postby kap64 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:05 am

R H wrote:
kap64 wrote:The shifter goes into a rectangular hole just to the right of the steering column actually in the dash.

On the real car? I know it does on the model. Gotta try to get a close up look (with out getting in trouble :D ) at a local one.

Yep, on the real car. I can post a pic, but it's not my pic, got it off the internet.

Here's a link:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316 ... 1207375704
kap64

Postby R H on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks! That means this appears to be 100% correct. I will try to start on it today, in between doing laundry and some cleaning. I will do lots of in progress pictures, as this kit is amazing, even for a diecast kit! Loads of detail. I will do a side by side with the Daytona I got at the same time (Grabber Green).
Oh, and if you buy the Daytona, there are some carry over parts. It shows more on the directions than are actually there. The parts that do carry over are:
lightbar brackets (which are fantastic) and lightbar base
lights for on pushbar, but not the pushbar itself
rear deck lights
R H

Postby Aaronw on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Does the car come marked or with stickers / decals? It looks like it is pre-painted right down to the markings in your pic. If that is the case I guess the first experiment will be how to remove the markings.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby R H on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:26 am

Aaron, the graphics are already on the body, there are no decals. There are also no gauge decals.

Well, as a caregiver, time is precious. I didn't get to build today, but I did get pictures of all the parts.
Check them out on my Fotki account: http://public.fotki.com/R-H/kits-for-review/

One interesting note, the seats are rubber.
R H

Postby R H on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:33 am

Okay, I got it finished, but didn't take all the pictures I was hoping for. Some notes:
-3 glues are needed, plastic cement, clear parts cement, and cement for metal models
-The seats are rubber
-Painting is highly recommended, and not all parts that should be painted have a call-out
-trim on the inside of the door at the windows should be painted black
-all windows are a poor fit, and the front door windows are held in the front by the mirrors
-Some parts #s are hard to read due to lack of contrast
-The last step (installing the rocker panels and lower engine shroud) should actually be 2 steps earlier, before installing all the stuff on the front and roof
-The grill is shown in one of the pictures on the box, and also in the install step as chrome, it is not.
-The front end is supposed to have posable steering, but the tie rod is tight against the suspention.
-The mirror faces are not plated, so I used (poorly) chrome foil.
-The rear deck lights need liht detail. I added chrome foil and Tamiya clear paints.
-The rear bumper is not shown being installed.
-the front headlight buckets do not install easily, and if not fitted correctly, will hold the outer lenses out from the body.
-The taillights need the light buckets hi-lited with silver paint
-I installed the front lights on the underside of the pushbar, they should be on top.

Now to the pictures:
R H

Postby kap64 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:36 am

So far, I can't find that kit anywhere locally.
kap64

Postby R H on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Well, to be honest, you may want to wait until the Lindberg version comes out.
R H

Postby mark on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:23 am

Looks great Rob! Good job! 8-)
I hope you bring it to the next meeting so I can take a closer look at it.
mark

Postby R H on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:14 pm

mark wrote:Looks great Rob! Good job! 8-)
I hope you bring it to the next meeting so I can take a closer look at it.

Not a problem.
R H

Postby SteveG on Fri May 02, 2008 8:42 pm

R H wrote:Well, to be honest, you may want to wait until the Lindberg version comes out.

For those who don't want to wait to see what's next from Lindberg, parts like the grille, mirrors, push bar and the console will drop into any of the Testors or Lindberg plasic Charger kits with minimal work. Parts like the dash which is narrower and the wheel backs that use thicker hubs look like they should still be workable.

This is not the same tooling as the Plastic kit though. It is a simplified version based on the same basic patterns. I've gone parts tree to parts tree vs the Lindberg Super Bee kit and they share almost no parts. I have confirmed that the CAD design work originated from the same source.

I find it interesting Testors chose to use the Dodge Demo Graphics on this. Maybe they'll offer a blank version later. The cheapest I've seen this kit so far is $26.00 which makes it pricey for a parts doner. I picked one up and I'm going to give it a shot to see how some kit bashing with a Super Bee kit works out.

-Steve
SteveG

Postby brian153 on Fri May 02, 2008 8:43 pm

i need to get one so I can make one for my buddy in Belleview, FL that has a Dodge Chager (slicktop)
brian153

Postby brian153 on Fri May 02, 2008 8:45 pm

but i need a white coat on it, if anyone wants a blank car go to http://www.policecarmodels.com they have them in 1/24 scale
brian153

Postby SteveG on Fri May 02, 2008 8:59 pm

brian153 wrote:but i need a white coat on it, if anyone wants a blank car go to http://www.policecarmodels.com they have them in 1/24 scale

I'm pretty sure those blank ones are from Jada. I'm still waiting to hear if and when Testors will offer other versions.

-Steve
SteveG

Postby R H on Fri May 02, 2008 11:17 pm

SteveG wrote:
brian153 wrote:but i need a white coat on it, if anyone wants a blank car go to http://www.policecarmodels.com they have them in 1/24 scale

I'm pretty sure those blank ones are from Jada. I'm still waiting to hear if and when Testors will offer other versions.

-Steve

Unless they are going to release the diecast in other liveries, that's it! What I would like to know is when Lindberg is going to release thiers? It's supposed to be based on the other excellent kits, and I hope with the correct detail. :D

As to the Jada, it sucks! It's nothing more than an R/T with holes for lightbar and pushbars. It still has the regular center console, with shifter. I have both the white and b&w versions. Disappointed.
:roll:
R H

Postby ChrisMooney on Sat May 03, 2008 8:22 am

The Jada ones are way to wide. I build one for my brother-in-law with PSP markings.. Looks nice but the body is really wide for the scale
ChrisMooney

Postby ajr48098 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:11 pm

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the prototype Charger used for the
kit: https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda ... pageid=117

Hope this helps.

A.J.
ajr48098

Postby Tiny 26 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Cool, Thanks!!
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby ajr48098 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Glad to help. As an additional note, after Chrysler uses the vehicle for a year of promotional duty, they turn it over to the City of Auburn Hills. MI for their use. I don't have any pictures, but Auburn Hills gets rid of the promo words on the vehicles, and the Ram seal on the doors is replaced with their own, as well as adding the words "Auburn Hiils" above the word police on each side.
A.J.
ajr48098

Next

Return to Reviews