SSB LACoFD Squad

Post Your Reviews Of Kits, Products And Services Here

SSB LACoFD Squad

Postby R H on Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Well, I received Jamies latest last week, but it wasn't until tonight that I got to look it over.

The windows are vacuum formed for this kit. Another interesting thing of note, all the little marker lights have separate red-clear lenses. The casting for the most part is really nice, but you will need to chrome the front bumper/grill assembly. The rear grab handles are done so they can be easily cleaned out to look right.
The kit comes with several decals, including Ford logos and LACoFD markings.

Some pictures:
R H

Re: SSB LACoFD Squad

Postby mark on Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 am

I saw it last week and it looks awesome! :o
The Ford F350, 450 logos all very cool! 8-)
It looks to be well worth the money!!
mark

Postby ajr48098 on Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 am

This looks pretty good. Any chance of a photo of the chassis? Thanks. A.J.
ajr48098

Postby Chris on Wed May 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey AJ, I have a photo of the chassis on the homepage, just click on the trucks thumbnail.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby ChrisMooney on Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 pm

RH how easy would this be to use the box for Squad 51 ??? can you compare the New VS Old for us???
ChrisMooney

Postby Chris on Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm

I think it might be to big. But if Rob don't have on handy, I'll open up my Lil Dodge and put it with the box so you can see. Just got to dig it out of the pile somewhere.
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby ChrisMooney on Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Well if you can fit a Stokes on the side it should be the correct with... In one episode they stansported a guy in the Stokes on the drivers side squad box.....
ChrisMooney

Postby Chris on Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Yea try that these days and not have the county name changed. :D
Stay Safe,
Chris
Chris
Scale Firehouse Chief
Scale Firehouse Chief

Postby smokeater81 on Fri May 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey Chris I have the old box from griffen designs, and it is shorter. The comp. behind the wheel on the new one has double doors and the one I have is a single door. If you like I can take a pic of it when I get home tomorrow? :D :D
smokeater81

Postby R H on Sat May 24, 2008 10:50 pm

smokeater81 wrote:Hey Chris I have the old box from griffen designs, and it is shorter. The comp. behind the wheel on the new one has double doors and the one I have is a single door. If you like I can take a pic of it when I get home tomorrow? :D :D

Yes, please post a picture. If I remember correctly, one of the front compartments was shorter because there was another under it.
R H

Postby SteveG on Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 pm

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but since someone already mentioned TV's Squad 51 I would love to get my hands on a conversion kit to work with AMT's Lil Red Express truck. Maybe Jamie can add it to his to do list?

Besides the box what else would you need, lets see a set of 1 ton dually tires & wheels, running boards, an early style grille, bench seat, a twinsonic lighbar, side mirrors and some decals.

Did I miss anything? Would there be enough interest in it to make it worth doing as a resin kit?

-Steve
SteveG

Re: SSB LACoFD Squad/Squad 51

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon May 26, 2008 1:13 am

Steve,
10-8(no longer in business) did a resin kit of Squad 51 about 3 or 4 years ago. The master was built by Steve Lichtman. If there is enough interest, and a caster willing to produce it, I will try to see if he would be willing to do it again. Although I never purchased one of the kits, I have heard that they build up very nicely. Any feedback from those here who did buy and build the 10-8 kits? With Cargostar's Ward cab, it would be a really cool addition to anyone's collection...
Sincerely,

David
"So many models, so little time..."
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby smokeater81 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:56 pm

RH soory I have not posted the picture yet. I have forgoten that I posted in this thread. And the wife has the camera at work tonight. I'll post it tomorrow
smokeater81

Postby smokeater81 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Here are some pics from squad 51 from griffen designs, I bought it from spaulding.

Hope this helps
smokeater81

Postby EdselDan on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Sorry this is so late, But I did just Join last month, and only just found this thread.

The Old Squad body is Wrong for '51' or LA County. It is Too short in the last compartment,and has Square slam-locks, where 51 & LA County use Round.

Here are 2 side pic's of the Squad (Sorry they are so small). The Left picture is of the Restored TV show Squad.
Universal Built that one when LA county told them it would take 6 weeks to build one. Universal used LA County's Shop plans for the body

If I understand correctly, The Modern Squad is the Same as the old one, but with Treadplate on the top where the old one was painted sheet metal.
Another tip, LA County had a second set of tail lights Vertically above the lower ones, while Universal only used ONE tail light per side. Notice the button/filler in close ups of the Squad on episodes or in this pic.

Dan from DelMarVa
My Photobucket:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/
It’s too late for when and how. People we must understand
child labour it has to end. Raise our voices, let’s all shout:
http://pocomokefire.com/
EdselDan
Captain
Captain

Postby Modelmaker on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am

I got one for Christmas too and I cant wait to get started with it .......I might have to move it up the list some tho....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Return to Reviews