100th anniversary of Maxim Motor Co.

Post News About Shows And Other Events

100th anniversary of Maxim Motor Co.

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Yesterday afternoon I had the chance to go to a celebration of the 100th year since the founding of the Maxim Motor Company in Middleboro, MA. It was a small affair, attended mostly by locals and former employees of the company when it was at its original location on Wareham Street. A few old time Maxims were on display. I'll download the few pix I took for all to see. I set up a table with 5 Maxim rigs I've built over the years along with some memorabilia and a bit about each model.
Howie Smith who wrote the two photographic histories of Maxim apparatus was on hand and gave a 1 hour presentation on the history of the company. His father "Big Howie" had his 1932 Maxim and 1961 Maxim on display. Middleboro's own 1934 Maxim was also on display but not running. Beside it however, was an 1854 hand pumper, the kind with two banks of handles for pumping water. I'm going to try and find out more about it. It is all there but is not operational at this point.
All in all a great day and some georgeous weather for a change!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: 100th anniversary of Maxim Motor Co.

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Here are the photos I refered to above. There is going to be a much larger Maxim anniversary celebration this September in Attleboro, MA the home of Greenwood Fire Equipment. When I get more information I will pass it on.
Stoughton, MA 1927 Maxim
Tremont, MA 1932 Maxim. Tremont is an old name for a section of Wareham, MA.
1961 "S" Model Maxim, Wareham, MA now privately owned. I was once a Lieutenant and then Captain of this rig.
Lakeville, MA "S" Model Maxim. Not sure of the year of this truck.
Berkley, MA "F" Model Maxim aerial. A former New York state rig, it was refurbed from what you see.
The fender gold leaf on a 1934 Maxim owned by Town of Middleboro, the home town of Maxim.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: 100th anniversary of Maxim Motor Co.

Postby jimb on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Thatks for posting those pics. Very nice. It's kind of cool that one of your old rigs is preserved.
Jim

Chittenango Fire Department
Sullivan Fire District #1
http://chittenangofire.org

Real heros don't wear capes!
jimb
Captain
Captain

Return to Contests & Shows