Newsletters

Important Announcements From The Website

Newsletters

Postby sacmankc135 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:07 am

Where on here would I find the old newsletters of GLMFAA in PDF?
sacmankc135

Re: Newsletters

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:52 am

Not sure if they exist in PDF, but Greg Smith here would be the best person to ask. I had converted a lot of the old FAMBA newsletters to DF but something went wrong with the disk and they won't open.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby GLMFAA1 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 pm

OOPs :o My mistake. the inquiry originated in conversation with me. I apologize as I thought someone had placed them on the internet and I thought they were here. I do have the issues and if need be I will start a file on here if there is not one
greg
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Here a sample of the GLMFAA Newsletters that were published in the 1980's. Have a look and It's a trip down memory lane for me. Every third month my mom's living room was turned into the postal sorting office. A lot of work but well worth it at the time, no email no face book, mail and long distance phone calls. Excuse the poor scan as the copy had water damage courtesy of my local fire department 5 years ago. Image
Hope you enjoyed.
greg
GLMFAA1

Postby sacmankc135 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:30 pm

These are great! Reminds me a lot of the Fire Fan mags. I placed here awhile back, great stuff. I'd like too see more of this old stuff here.
sacmankc135

Postby traumahawk05 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:23 am

Greg,

That is truly awesome. I really missed out on a lot of these fantastic modeling tips and techniques being born in 1982, but thanks to the miracle of modern technology and guys like you, these will never fade. The Horton ambulance drawings are excellent, especially since the AMT Phantom kits are still available at Hobby Lobby.

Thanks Greg.
traumahawk05

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:57 pm

traumahawk05 wrote:Greg,

That is truly awesome. I really missed out on a lot of these fantastic modeling tips and techniques being born in 1982, but thanks to the miracle of modern technology and guys like you, these will never fade. The Horton ambulance drawings are excellent, especially since the AMT Phantom kits are still available at Hobby Lobby.

Thanks Greg.

You are very welcome, This is the greatest pleasure I get out of this hobby is the ability to share my 'experiments' with others. I am glad to share
greg
GLMFAA1

Postby EdselDan on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Definitely worth posting. Wish I had know of these back them!!
A great way to Save them!!

And I too like the scale drawings of the Ambulance.
Though, Actual Measurements on them would be better,
since scanning them, them printing them will yield Different
sizes on different Printers & computers.
EdselDan
Captain
Captain

Postby traumahawk05 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:25 pm

If I remember correctly when I measured out an early 1980s Horton 500 series in early 2000, the box was 150" long, 95" wide, and 79" tall with a 68" interior headroom, these measurements would be 6" long by 3.8" wide by 3.16" tall in 1/25 scale. I went into Photoshop with the 1/32 scale drawings and figured out I needed to adjust the resolution of the photo to 65 pixels per inch which made the paper size 11.469 inches wide by 15.785 inches wide. I did the same with the 1/25 scale drawings and found out that I needed to use 86 ppi for the photo, which meant the print page size was 8.651" wide by 11.907" long.

As a test, I printed a copy of the 1/25 scale box at 86 ppi, which measured 15.2 cm (149.6"), when image file was modified for an 8.5" page width, the printed box was 15 cm long (147.6"). Of course, I'm one to use the 2.54 cm = 1 in since that is an exact measurement, and one I teach on a daily basis, so I don't use 1 mm = 1 inch in 1/25 scale

Without the true 1:1 vehicle measurements on the drawing, or a 1980s brochure, I might be off a little off in my 1:1 vehicle measurements. Do I hold this against anyone, heck no, I'm just glad that these exist.

For some modern Horton drawings, VCI Ambulances in NJ has some up, including this 553C for Barnegat Light which is a 169" long box.
http://vciambulances.com/Portals/0/Rece ... awings.pdf

Now, if only there were drawings of that Ford/Swab that Charles Schultz made, I would be in 7th heaven. I've been searching for measurements to make one using a Revell 1965 Chevy for years since .
traumahawk05

Return to From The Chiefs