My only build for 2010

Post Your Work From The Past Year!

My only build for 2010

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 pm

The only complete build for 2010 is the Brockway/Mack crash truck. The Ward LaFrance is on the back burner for now. Wasn't complete in 2010 anyway.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: My only build for 2010

Postby Modelmaker on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:10 am

And what an AWESOME build it is too.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby flashing light nut on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:09 pm

It may have been your only build, but you knocked it out of the park. I whish I could work up the curage to attempt something remotely close to your build.
flashing light nut

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:36 pm

To FLN: It's not courage you need but the right information and a bit of experience in scratch building. Have you ever tried any scratch building even the basic stuff?
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby flashing light nut on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 pm

chariots of fire wrote:To FLN: It's not courage you need but the right information and a bit of experience in scratch building. Have you ever tried any scratch building even the basic stuff?

Yes, I do a good amount of scratch-building on a regular basis. However, up to now, I've been sticking to scratch-building details, and minor stuff, with the largest project so far being an HO (1/87) scale barn.

Probably the biggest problem for me is that I try to get to technical when I build anything (i.e. I have to restrain myself from adding details that will never be seen, or will be hard to see when the model is completed) One of my character flaws, I guess.
flashing light nut

Postby Robbo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 am

Well, if that is all you have accomplished in 2010, then it was certainly worth the effort. A great scratch build model to be sure.

Cheers from Robbo in Australia.
If it's not broken, then don't try to fix it. If it is broken then only one tool and aids are required: A hammer if it's tight and Blu-Tack if it's loose.
Robbo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 pm

flashing light nut wrote:
chariots of fire wrote:To FLN: It's not courage you need but the right information and a bit of experience in scratch building. Have you ever tried any scratch building even the basic stuff?

Yes, I do a good amount of scratch-building on a regular basis. However, up to now, I've been sticking to scratch-building details, and minor stuff, with the largest project so far being an HO (1/87) scale barn.

Probably the biggest problem for me is that I try to get to technical when I build anything (i.e. I have to restrain myself from adding details that will never be seen, or will be hard to see when the model is completed) One of my character flaws, I guess.

To be sure the larger the scale, the more detail has to be put into it to make it look right. But that shouldn't scare you from giving it a go. Got any particular projects you might like to try?
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Robbo wrote:Well, if that is all you have accomplished in 2010, then it was certainly worth the effort. A great scratch build model to be sure.

Cheers from Robbo in Australia.

Thanks, Robbo!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby flashing light nut on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 pm

chariots of fire wrote: Got any particular projects you might like to try?

Particular scratch-building projects that I qould like to try? Hmm, right now, the largest (in scale) would have to be a bed of some sort for my 1/24 scale Monogram Ford F-250 kit ( what type of bed is yet to be determined).

I'll probably start on that project as soon as I get my workbench cleared off from a couple of other projects I've got going.
flashing light nut

Postby FDNYDad on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie! If you keep doing these sweet builds like this one, you're gonna make me switch to 1/24th - 1/25th scale! I know you're doing a LOT of scratch building but, there just seems to be a lot more stuff available for 1/24th - 1/25th as compared to my poor old 1/32nd scale! :roll: :lol:

Mike :mrgreen:
..."Rescue 2, bring your squeegee with you"...
FDNYDad
Captain
Captain

Postby chariots of fire on Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm

You're right, Mike. A lot more in 1/25 and 1/24 but there are a lot of possibilities with some of the 1/32 diecast rigs as well. Guess I'm going to have to post some pics that I have of Jim Clarkson's 1/32 scale fire apparatus. His are totally scratch built. He uses a lot of the old Aurora Fire Truck tires and wheels but everything else comes from plastic stock of one sort or another.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Return to 2010 Builds Review