California Wild Fires

Announcements From The Members

California Wild Fires

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

This one is for Aaron and anybody else who wants to chime in. Wild Fires in California are nothing new and I can completely understand the Santa Ana winds, the mountainous terrain and the chapparel. I learned that back when I took a college course in forest fire control. But there is one thing I do not understand. And maybe it is just the snapshots of video you get to see on the news casts but some of the places where houses have been burnt to the ground just amaze me. There is nothing around them! I'm seeing nothing but bare ground.
I know that fire burns hottest going up a steep slope and there are plenty of those that I can see. With ultra dry conditions and low humidity, sparks can go a long way but it seems I am seeing a lot of destruction where there doesn't appear to be a real reason for it.
What am I missing, guys?
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: California Wild Fires

Postby mdlbldrmatt135 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 am

It might be as simple as building construction. Not using clay ties or metal for roofs, and stucco or cement board siding for exteriors.
mdlbldrmatt135
Engineer

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Could be Matt. Wood roofs get dry just like the vegetation. I wouldn't build at the top of some of those hills. Just a disaster waiting to happen.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby GLMFAA1 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Charlie,
some of the pic I saw the roof tiles are all around the ash pile, I conjecture that the winds just kept everything hot like a blacksmith's billow in a forge. I hope every body stays safe and I have been listening by broadcastify site.

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 pm

It sure is a mess. Guess you really have to be there to appreciate the extreme conditions. Prayers for everyone there; residents, firefighters and all.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Return to From The Crew