Loosing interest in this Forum?

Announcements From The Members

Loosing interest in this Forum?

Postby sacmankc135 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:41 am

Is it me or does it seem we are loosing interest here. A year ago I couldn't keep track of the daily posts. Now it appears your lucky to find one. Tell me it's not that facebook.
sacmankc135

Re: Loosing interest in this Forum?

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:40 pm

There are a few emergency modeling groups on Facebook, but they seem to be small or scale specific. I too have noted the downturn in activity. I haven't built anything for years due to lack of time and space to build then display, but enjoy seeing other people's work.

Yesterday was the model display at the Firehouse Expo in Baltimore. Except for a few Facebook pictures I haven't seen much about it. But from the pictures I saw, there were probably three dozen tables of models. I had participated in the Expo display for many years, but now that it's too far to travel, I haven't been for the last 6 years. I also know several other participants here that were regular participants too, but they are too far away also.

Maybe the building and projects have waned during the warmer summer months and will pick back up in the fall.

I've also had a downturn in spammer registrations lately. I do get them from time to time, but perhaps being diligent in blocking spammer IP addresses over the past 3 years, many can't get back.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I noticed that too, I usually check the site daily and it has been sparse, I don't have anything right now to contribute and I have almost tapped out my pbucket so I'm conserving photo uploads
Just rehabbing a Mack DM pumper.
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby maxwell48098 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:22 pm

On most of the forums that I participate, the summer really slows down activity as there are too many other things going on besides building models. Myself, I go to 1:1 car, truck, and fire apparatus shows almost weekly during the summer, so getting all of the "honey-dos", yard work, and babysitting grand kids leaves little time for modeling right now. Things will usually pick up again once the weather turns cool, vacations are over, and life gets back to "normal".

A.J.
maxwell48098
Captain
Captain

Postby Daveski25 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Summer months are hard I agree. I am trying to just finish up a few projects but haven't started anything new.

Dave
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby Modelmaker on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Summer is usually a slow time for me to build anything....That coupled with the loss of two family members(my Mom just 1 week before opening day and My younger brother on June 10th....plus the Wife losing her job after 42 years with the same company is a little overwhelming right now....so much to do so little time...have to sell moms house, help my brother's two daughters deal with his passing....my job is taking off with expansion to an additional 100k sq ft.....hope to get some things done during my upcoming vacation......Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker

Postby Aaronw on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Reality is this is a pretty small site with probably only 20-30 fairly active members. I don't think it is really an issue of loss of interest, just a small group so when people get busy for a time it become quite a noticeable drop in activity.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm

I've noticed the slowdown too but it should pick back up in a while. Every site has its ups and downs. I think the economy has had a lot to do with it. It's tough for a lot of folks and priorities have to be selected.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby EdselDan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm

I would have been on more, but lost internet last year.
Church let me tap into their wireless, but........................
after a few weeks, I kept loosing signal.
Finally this past Feb, I lost ALL.
DELL PC I was using dumped its OS!!

I Just got a 'new' second hand HP (sadly win-8) and managed to move all from the DELL to it.
put that HD into the hP as a secondary/slave and moved all files onto the HPdrive.
(And YES onto Thumbs too!!--Still need a backup drive though!!!!!!)

This HP has onboard wireless, But even IN the Church their system would Not let me in!!
I am at the Library today. Not easy carrying a Tower, monitor, etc, but, I prefer it to latop.

I tryed a laptop, but, now the Do NOT include CD/DVD drive, and I could Not get it to accept
wireless even after finding several open networks close by!!

Until I can get a cheap internet provider, I will be here at the Library weekdays.
If anyone knows a CHEAP provider in my area Please let me know.

I am thinking of attempting to go back to the OLD verizon DSL (IF they Still offer that)

Hope to be here More regularly now.
Dan from DelMarVa
My Photobucket:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/
It’s too late for when and how. People we must understand
child labour it has to end. Raise our voices, let’s all shout:
http://pocomokefire.com/
EdselDan
Captain
Captain

Postby FDNYDad on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Guys! Yep, it hasn't been real lively around here and I'm probably one of the biggest non-contributers! Seriously though, I think Dave is right - summertime is one of the busier times around and I think people just get caught up in working and summertime activities. I know for us here on the farm, once spring sets in, I usually don't have time for much anything else until fall. :roll:

I didn't have any modeling projects last winter so I haven't posting anything in a looooong while! Hopefully, this coming winter I'll be able to get something going. Fine Lake Fire Department was talking about a Ladder 2 built on a Mack CF mounting a Fire Stick...maybe... :D

Mike :mrgreen:
..."Rescue 2, bring your squeegee with you"...
FDNYDad
Captain
Captain

Return to From The Crew