Question for Aaron

Announcements From The Members

Question for Aaron

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi, Aaron. Question: What is the paint number for the green on the USFS rigs? Got me an International diecast that would really look cool in USFS livery.
Charlie
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Question for Aaron

Postby Aaronw on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi Charlie, there is an FS595 number for USFS Green, but I'd have to dig it up.

You can get "official" USFS Green spray paint from Kimball Midwest, this is what I've got at work.

https://www2.kimballmidwest.com/All-Pro ... nts/80632/

You can get a very close match from Krylon Jade or Rustolium Seafoam. Honestly with the variations between manufacturer, and age of the vehicle these two are pretty much dead on and much easier to pick up locally than the touch up paint I linked to. Krylon Pistachio would do a good job if you wanted to do an older truck with some sun fading, being the right tone, just a lighter shade.

I've color matched with vehicles in our fleet and there is a noticeable variation between them. One engine has a mild 3 tone thing going between the cab, box and a professional repair all using "official" USFS Green paint.

What era is the IH you are looking at? There were changes in scheme in the late 50s and again in the mid 1970s. Changes in markings over the years as well.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby jimb on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Actually, I was thinking of doing either the 1941 Chevrolet Pick-Up or 1950 Ford F1 as USFS truck.
Jim

Chittenango Fire Department
Sullivan Fire District #1
http://chittenangofire.org

Real heros don't wear capes!
jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby Aaronw on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Jim, for that era of truck most would have been painted dark green. My preference is Krylon Dark Hunter Green, or Rustolium Hunter Green.

I did this Model T with the dark hunter green, and the '37 Ford in hunter green.

For a bit of variety I like to mix things up a bit using similar but different colors. Prior to the late 50s there was less standardization, most were green but there are a fair number of photos showing some beige, tan, or white vehicles and a few fire trucks were painted red.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby jimb on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks, Aaron. That works out well because one of the schemes that I was thinking of for the 1941 Chevrolet (other than US Navy) was Dark Green over Black. Now I just need to find some USFS logos & some stuff for the bed.
Jim

Chittenango Fire Department
Sullivan Fire District #1
http://chittenangofire.org

Real heros don't wear capes!
jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby Aaronw on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:39 am

Dark green over black would work. 1940-41 changed markings from the gold shield to a red/while/blue flag themed shield.

I have some photos of art deco chevys, I'll see what I can find that might help you out. Might be able to help with decals too. Just need to figure out where they got off to.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Aaron. I have a diecast Navistar conventional cab of recent origin that I am thinking of doing. You did a walk-around photo piece a while ago and I have those photos for reference. I think I will take a stroll down to the Michaels store and see what variety of greens they have in stock. Some of it is pretty close as you say.
I also have a 1/43 White Mountain National Forest diecast that has the dark green color. So a 1/25 scale of that using a Model BB truck is very enticing as well.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Aaronw on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:54 pm

I don't recall which I did a walk around of, but I do have a lot of measurements from various trucks if you need them.

I have some photos of trucks that the BB was probably modeled after (some were definitely from White Mountain), I'll see if I can dig them up.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 am

MHF E51 is the rig you did. A four door rig on a Navistar chassis. Nice looking piece.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Aaronw on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 am

Ok, I remember that now. Those photos were passed on to me, not taken by me. The engine is from the Malheur National Forest in Oregon.

I believe it is a Model 75, I don't see these very often so have limited information.
I do have a data sheet with some potentially helpful info.

They are available on either a Freightliner or IH chassis, and with a regular or crew cab.
600 gallon tank
25 gallon foam tank
PTO driven 350 gpm Darley HM350 pump
cab to axle distance 84"
4x4 optional
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the info, Aaron. I'm now working on building up a DT466 engine for casting. Not purely accurate but with a few details from the Ertl International S Series kits I think it will be passable. Will post progress. Doing a 4x4 is always something to consider.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Aaronw on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:03 pm

4x4 would be purely individual preference, 75% of the large USFS engines are 2wd.

I hope you will share your notes on "cobbling" together a DT466, that is an engine I'm sure many would be interested in.

If you need any detail photos of the motor, the engine I share a station with has a DT530 in it. Same family as the DT466 just bored out for a little more power.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am

Will keep you posted on the engine. I'm awaiting some mold rubber and as soon as it comes in I can cast the block and oil pan. Pics will follow.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby cargostar on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Charlie, I have an non-electronic DT466 almost done and ready for release. This would have been used until the mid 90's, they it became an electronic controlled engine. There are quite a few external differences between the 2.
cargostar

Postby chariots of fire on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm

When you get it done I'd like to see it. I have mine set up in the "In Progress" section and took the details mostly from photos I obtained on line.
BTW Aaron: Do you have any wheel base dimensions for the USFS rigs?
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby explorer2770 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 am

I'm not sure if this will help, but BME Fire has some info on some of the trucks. I think this includes the Type 75 (BME Type 175, page 5) that you are working on, but I can't seem to find the MHF E51 pictures to double check the body type.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120917102 ... 20Page.pdf

If not, it might be helpful for others.

~Brandon
explorer2770
Engineer

Postby Aaronw on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 pm

That is a fairly new addition to BME's website (I check their website often looking for interesting items), very cool thanks.

Edit
Ok, so very weird, not at BMEs website. Internet magic.

Still very useful, however it exists.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Return to From The Crew