Heading south

Announcements From The Members

Heading south

Postby Aaronw on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:10 pm

I'll be away for a few weeks, taking a training assignment to work on some prescribed fire stuff. Through a reciprocal agreement between the USFS Region 5 (California) and Region 8 (the southern US, Texas to Florida) they can send people out here during the summer to fight fires, and we can send people down there in the winter to light fires.

Flying out to Tallahassee, Florida tomorrow, then after a day of introduction to the program, we are off to Alexandria, Louisiana. The last group hit 5 states and burned nearly 8000 acres during their 20 day assignment.

Unfortunately it is going to be very fast paced and they expect we will be moving a lot, so I probably won't have the time or ability to see if I am nearby any of members here. I hope to come back with lots of photos and some renewed inspiration for stuff to build.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Re: Heading south

Postby mdlbldrmatt135 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Aaron,

Be safe!!!

Matt
mdlbldrmatt135
Engineer

Postby Modelmaker on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 am

Aaron , Be careful and safe ...looking forward to your pix.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Aaronw on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Well made it back in one piece. Cold wet weather chased us the whole time, I would never have thought I'd be winterizing engines in Florida, but now I can say I have. Despite the weather had a great time, we drove around 3500 miles, hit 5 states (Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana) and was able to burn in three of them (Florida, Alabama and Louisiana).

I worked on RX fires on the Kisatchie NF outside Alexandria, LA, the Tuskegee NF near Auburn, AL, And 3 spots in Florida (Eglin AFB, Picayune-Strand State Forest, and Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge). Saw a little wildlife too, Eastern Diamond Back Rattle Snake, Water Moccasin, and some Alligators, thankfully all at a comfortable distance.

One of my highlights was getting to work off of some swamp buggies at the Panther Refuge.

Saw some really interesting equipment, and lots of new ideas for future projects. I'll add some photos down in the fire apparatus section when I get some time.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Modelmaker on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Hey Aaron , glad to hear you made it back in one piece....from the photo you posted looks like you were very busy....looking forward to the pix......Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Return to From The Crew