Medical Incident

Announcements From The Members

Medical Incident

Postby Modelmaker on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:53 am

Hi Guys, about a week and two days ago, the 15th of Nov. to be exact. I had a medical incident while running errands with my wife, one of the errands was stopping at the Walgreen's clinic for her checkup, well I started feeling poorly, turning a bright shade of red, sweating profusely. my wife said get up and come with me I don't want to leave you alone out here, I got up took 2 steps and collapsed. the NP at walgreens was told by my wife that I'm type 2 diabetic and she knew what to do. the Paramedics were called, and I was checked out by them, turns out that they couldn't get a Blood Sugar reading because it was so low, the medics automatic BP reader couldn't get a reading either, they were able to get a manual BP reading but couldn't get a radial pulse in one arm either. They put 3 IV's into me , one of which was a large bore one, and bundled me up and transported me to the local ER about 5 minutes away. suffice it to say I was pretty sick at that point, Scared the crap out of my wife though. thankfully the NP at Walgreen's and the Paramedics whose station is just across the street helped me a lot, I am Now recovered enough to resume normal operations, although I've made some changes in eating habits and medications ....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Re: Medical Incident

Postby fenix107 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 am

Keep an eye on that and take care of yourself. Glad to hear you are doing better. Since it happened once, pay attention to the signs and don't be in denial. I transported to many over the years that just tried to ignore it. Have a safe and healthy holiday season.
fenix107
Probie

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Sounds like you caught it early enough and were fortunate enough to have some help readily at hand! May God bless!
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Aaronw on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Glad things turned out ok.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Good to hear that all turned out well, My 1 question is did the medic obtain a b/p at all during transport/treatment with them?
With that many IV's you could have gotten flash pulmonary edema from all the fluid. very lucky that they monitored the input. I guess the large bore IV was also access for D50, that wonderful Johnny Gage cap popping medication. Did they administer any D50 since your BGL was low? and was it rechecked at anytime.
just career curiosity

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby Modelmaker on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:35 am

Greg, they were able to get a BP using a Manual BP cuff and a Stethoscope as their automatic machine couldn't get a reading. Not sure what D50 is or if they gave me any. I do know that once at the ER it was determined that my Potassium was also on the Low side...both my BP and BGL were being checked every 15 minutes and my Potassium level checked every 30 minutes while I was there. they also made me eat something, and when they said I could go, the ER Doc told my wife to load me up on Carbs the rest of the day. So she took me to Portillo's for dinner where I had 2 chili cheese dogs, a order of onion rings and a Chocolate Malt...I have made a mental note on what was happening just before I collapsed . so that if I feel the same way again I can do something. I now keep some Hard candy in my car , in my locker at work, and in a small stash I keep at whatever work station I'm working at. I also informed my Lead person, supervisor, Manager and HR Mgr of these same conditions that way if any of them see it before I pick up on them they can step in and do something. My wife also we not let me leave the house without eating something and also drinking a small glass of OJ.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Modelmaker

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:21 am

d50 is 50% dextrose in solution that increases your blood sugar level, It is administered through an IV.
Just from my ems experience please be careful and cautious when sleeping, night sweating will alter your blood glucose and present the same scenario and you don't even know it, Better keep an eye on your glucose with a glucometer
Don't want to loose a member the hard way

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Postby Modelmaker on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:20 am

No Worries there, take my Blood Sugar level twice a day, sometimes more....my wife now keeps a close eye on me now, makes sure I don't get overheated at night. If I get too warm to the point of sweating we turn on the tower fan....Gary
Modelmaker

Return to From The Crew