Hello Frends!

Hello Frends!

Postby youngtiger1 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:22 am

Hey Guys,

I wanted to stop in and say Howdy!! as I just joined and write few words about myself so y'all know who the heck this new kid on the block is :lol:

I have been building models for years and my first kit was Monogram 1/24 1964 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car OOTB build. I built it for my high school sweetheart and she requested it in red. :D Over the years as my skills got better I moved unto building Armors, Aircrafts, Real Space, and Sci-Fi. However, as of late I find myself eyeballing civilian vehicles again. Especially, the big rigs and fire trucks. My scratch building skills are so so, thus, like many modelers I depend on manufactures to give us cool subjects ;) oh and did i mention big subjects :lol:

Anyway, I hopefully I will have something worthy to share with y'all soon. I have a couple off 1/25 LaFrance Fire Truck calling my name :) So, happy modeling!!

Mike
youngtiger1
Probie

Re: Hello Frends!

Postby maxwell48098 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Welcome to The House.

A.J.
maxwell48098
Captain
Captain

Postby youngtiger1 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 am

Glad t be here A.J. ;)
youngtiger1
Probie

Postby Aaronw on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:05 am

Welcome and don't be afraid to try a little scratch building. Start small and work up to bigger things.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby youngtiger1 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks Aaron. My biggest thing is where or can I find out the measurements for things on these fire trucks in order to be somewhat in the correct balk park for any scratch build. Or, I'll just have to relay ol' mk1 eyeball :lol:
youngtiger1
Probie

Postby Aaronw on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm

A lot of the smaller details can be found at the local hardware store, heavy duty extension cords, cord reels, fire extinguishers, ladders (to add the details of a pulley and halyard), lumber (2x4s, 2x6s, 4x4s for cribbing). These are the small details that can really make a model stand out, and gets you comfortable making custom parts. The really nice part is they supply the tape measure, so you just need a pen and paper. ;)

You start off making a few small details, like a pair of step chocks to go up top between the hose reels, a prybar added under the ladders, maybe a fire extinguisher for the side board, pretty soon you are trying your hand at building an ALF Pioneer cab (Greg can help you with that).

I started a website years ago to help with this as well. I took advantage of my access to fire stations and tried to put it together in a way that can help those who don't.

Many of the photos include a ruler or tape measure to assist with Mk 1 eyeball calibration. :D

http://modelfireapparatus.com/

I've also put together some tutorials down in the tutorial section and hope to keep adding to them. Many of these should be beginner scratchbuilder friendly.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Hello Tiger: Aaron hit it right. Look for things that you can apply to fire modeling or any modeling for that matter. I find lots of goodies in craft stores like soft wire, small beads, pins etc that go a long way. There are also a few specialty shops like Model Car Garage that offer all kinds of great things for model cars and trucks.
And don't forget the Forum. You will find a good source of information right here and lots of guys willing to share their knowledge and skill. So ask questions whenever you need some help.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby youngtiger1 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:44 am

Aaron, thanks for the advice. I never though about going to the hardware store to measure items. It might look silly average customer, but we're modeller, we are insane... :lol: Anyone that tries to capture rivets, chipping, oil stains, or bulge tires on a piece of plastic model cannot be consider normal or average. Plus, it makes sense to measure items at the store as its all there together in one place.

Also, thanks for the link to your website. I was like wow, what a wealth of information you have there...with photos. I can tell you have put a lot of work into it. I'm assuming those are all your photographs since you have access to it, gathering them all and listing them properly. Stuff like that take a lot of time, I know. One of my hobbies is photography, scenic and aviation as my background is in flying, and I know how much time it take on the computer editing all your photographs and then download them to website, forums, etc. That is why I'm grateful to all those individuals that share their work on these forums with clean photographs of their work.

You guys (Charlies and you) are correct about trying small detail first then try the bigger items once the hand and eye coordination is correct and start cutting things straight... :D I just need to figure out these extra helpful items that can be purchased at these specialty store to make our building easier. I was reading the thread on here by Jeff C. where he talked about different beads that can be helpful in lights and etc. I was trying to make sense of it by looking up the beads he had mentioned. I never used beads before so I'll need to figure out how to work such items and see if I can find a thread where I can see an example or two of someone using a raw bead and creating light or something out of it. Just want to get an idea how do you guys work with these things. All I have use is MV lens before to create a taxi light on an aircraft as I saw an example and worked pretty good. Another modeler used green/blueish confetti to replicate such tint on HUD or Pod lens, so I too tried it and found great results with it. I'm a visual creature, so I need to see it time or two, but I'm a quick learner ;)

Anyway, thanks again guys for your input/help. I'll be around enough to pick up tips and bug you guys from time to time 8-)

Mike
youngtiger1
Probie

Postby Aaronw on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm

If you haven't used it, the plastic shapes (strips, sheets, tubing) from Evergreen, Midwest and Plastruct helps tremendously. Most model railroad stores carry one of these brands.

Just remember 0.04" = 1 ". You can also use 1mm = 1" and be very close to 1/25 (it works out to 1/25.4 scale).

The website has been put together over years, and I use it myself sometimes as it is better organized than the photos on my computer.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Modelmaker on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Hello Mike, A Hearty Midwest Cheesehead Welcome to the House.....Gary
“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
" Bureaucratic Incompetence is the only Universal constant"
Modelmaker
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby youngtiger1 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks Gary. Glad to be part of the house ;)

Aaron, I'm familiar with these items as I've used the evergreen strips before but mostly yo fill gaps. If I encounter large gap in the joints I have used these strips to help make it as small as possible thus less putty needed. I figure this way the joint is much stronger, plastic to plastic then plastic to putty. Don't get me wrong I used my Tamiya putty regularly and if in spots where there is detail needed to be saved then Tamiya putty is removed with q-tip dipped in acetone.

Btw, I was going through my digital photographs the other day and I found few I had taken of a Fire Truck couple off years ago at Casttle Air Museum on Open Cockpit day. If you can pm me your email address then I can email them to you for your website. The fireman was very nice and allowed me to take pictures of the interior, and he even opened several compartments in the back to be allow me to photograph what's in it. I fire guys here might be able to find them useful. :)
youngtiger1
Probie

Postby foothill6514 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:53 am

Mike, welcome to the house. I see you are from Yuba City. Do we know each other? Are you a member of dragon lady IPMS? If you are interested, there is an upcoming model contest show in Sacramento. It's silver wings IPMS and its on february 17th 2018.

Jeff
foothill6514
Firefighter

Postby Aaronw on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:52 pm

The plastic strips, tubing etc really helps if you start breaking down everything in regard to those shapes when you look at how things go together. One of the biggest eye openers to me was getting to tour Boise Mobile Equipment in 2001 when I went to pick up a new fire engine. They build the big trucks basically the same way we scratchbuild the little ones, only using steel and aluminum instead of styrene and brass. Of course they get a little more detailed than most of us. :D

I've been to the Castle open cockpit day, but it has been quite a few years. They have some really unusual aircraft you don't see much of. The one that really got me though was the flight engineers station on the B36. What a nightmare of dials, gauges and levers to operate the 4 jet and 6 radial engines.

I don't know how it was impacted by the Calfire merger / unmerger but the Marysville Fire Department, just down the road from you is one of the oldest fire departments in the state. Prior to the merger they were pretty active in fire muster activities. They also had a restored 1920s American LaFrance, don't know if they still have it.

San Francisco has a great firefighting historical society that has preserved many of the SFFD's old vehicles and equipment.

http://guardiansofthecity.org/

I sent you an email with my email.

Jeff I'll put the 17th down too, not sure if I can make it, but Sac is only about 3 hours away.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Return to Introductions