Marmon-Herrington 4x4 Kit

Need It? Have It? Let Everyone Know Here, Be Sure To Read The Rules First.

Marmon-Herrington 4x4 Kit

Postby jimb on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:02 am

Does anyone know where I can get a Marmon-Herrington 4x4 conversion kit that will fit the Revell 1950 Ford F1?

Thanks.
Jim

Chittenango Fire Department
Sullivan Fire District #1
http://chittenangofire.org

Real heros don't wear capes!
jimb
Captain
Captain

Re: Marmon-Herrington 4x4 Kit

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Jim: See my reply under your post on Model Cars forum.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby jimb on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks, Charlie. I did see it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off.
Jim

jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby Aaronw on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 am

Doing a Marmon Herrington Ford correctly is tricky. I was working on one, have to find my notes for all the specifics. The axle / transfer case / suspension is the least of the issues. Wheels / tires are proving to be the biggest headache and since they are very visible much hard to fake.

The kit is a 1/2 ton with 15 or 16" rims. The Marmon Herringtons conversions were mostly built on 3/4 ton or larger, and most had 18" or 20" rims.

Then there is the issue of tires, not many (or really any) vintage off road tires available in scale and definitely not in the right sizes (18-20"). The best you can do for the tires is probably to use a non-directional military type. There are some diecast and toy trucks out there which could donate these. Unfortunately the wheels are of a military type which wouldn't really be right. I used a set cast from the Ertl Dodge Power Wagon when I did a 4x4 1960 Chevy Forest Service truck. Almost all of the old farts who have seen it and worked on similar trucks think it is a really neat model and then politely add, but the wheels are wrong... ;)

I spent a lot of time learning to use Sketchup and designing 3D models of wheels and tires, only to find Sketchup is not as useful for 3D printing as it claims to be.

On the plus side I think I sent you some MH badging when I sent you the USFS decals. That is the one thing I have managed to sort out. The oval black and chrome badge would be appropriate for a 1950s MH conversion. I have some photos of a 1949 Ford F5 1 1/4 ton MH Conversion.

I have had an amazingly unproductive year between being super busy with work and dealing some unpleasant issues that have developed. I'm hoping 2018 will grant more time for me to do stuff for me. I'll share what I found for my conversion when I dig it up. The hobby room looks like a tornado came through followed by Oscar the Grouch.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby jimb on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks for the info, Aaron. Yes, you did send me the logos when you sent me the USFS logos, and that's what got me thinking about it.

I have found some photos of the F1 with a Marmon-Herrington conversion, but I think you're right and making it an F2 would probably be more realistic. I'll just have to see how it progresses. I did find this 1951 F1:

Or maybe it's a F2, I don't know. I do like the grill guard, though. :D

And your are right about the tires. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

Keep safe at those wild fires, and I hope your "unpleasant issues" get resolved.
Jim

jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby Aaronw on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm

I was really getting into this about 2 years ago so some of the specifics are fuzzy, but the ratio of 1/2 tons to larger trucks is huge. The known number of 1/2 ton conversions is so small that those really into these can pretty well account for all of them, like maybe even single digits. They definitely did exist, just rare.

These were conversion kits that were often done at a local dealer level so anything was possible. There were some Ford Woody wagons and possibly even some sedans converted to 4x4 with MH kits.

I think I saved a picture of a vintage advertisement for a similar grill guard. I'll have a look around for it.

and thanks, we finally got some rain up north anyway, hoping for more.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby jimb on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:28 pm

We don't have any rain, but you can have all the snow you want! :lol:
Jim

jimb