Real to Model Lights and Sirens

Need It? Have It? Let Everyone Know Here, Be Sure To Read The Rules First.

Re: Real to Model Lights and Sirens

Postby Dale on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:56 pm

I would use the chrome back section of the mechanical siren supplied with one of the AMT Fire Truck kits. Drill out the hole in the front, insert a colored or clear "jewel", and then attach a clear lens in front of that. Ta Daa! A Mars 888 light.

As for lightbars in model kits, I have some old ESCI Range Rover Police kits that have a great replica of the Federal Twinsonic with a louvered center section for the siren speaker along with separate lens. Will try to get a photo of one.

There was a fellow in Canada many years ago who sold scale Code 3XL lightbars in both short and long versions. You could have colored or clear lens. Will have to see if those are still available.
Dale

Postby BigRed on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Chris, where could I find these 6 body side red or clear round flashers? Or the modern square equivelant?
BigRed

Postby ChrisMooney on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 pm

For the square body lights i use Jewels found in Michals Crafts.. they also have round ones that will work for the older lights you just have to figure out what size you need... They are in the bead section..

ALSO Jamie @ SSB resins has new Square style body lights that are great... and not bad price.

ChrisMooney

Postby BigRed on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Chris, thank you...I'll check out both!
BigRed

Postby R H on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

FOr the round lights,try MV lenses, found at most train supply shops.
R H

Postby BigRed on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm

RH, I'm having a hard time finding the ones I want...the #413 .500 round clears
BigRed

Postby cargostar on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

I order my MV's from http://www.walthers.com . Always in stock, and you can check stock online.
cargostar
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby BigRed on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:42 am

Hey, I happened to find something neat while out tonight at the local walgreens. Had to pick up some pullups for the boy{no that's not it...wait for it} and walked past the toothbrushes and saw something interesting...they had cheap clear colored toothbrushes. I grabbed two red ones and have now made a nice light bar out of it with spare pieces for other things. You'll be looking for the "walgreens brand wide toothbrush" for $2 and some high change...I'll get some pics up soon for you.
BigRed

Postby BigRed on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 am

Here's the nearly finished product of my toothbrush light bar-
BigRed

Postby Aaronw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Dave "Firemodelman" has used plastic silverwear and tooth brushes for light bars with good success, but you obviously have discovered that as well. Great looking lightbar, hard to believe it was once used to keep your teeth clean.

For those round lights you were looking for, the headlights from the Ford C or Ford Louisville kits are a perfect match.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Aaronw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 pm

ChrisMooney wrote:Ok more updates.

sealed beam plashers. AKA Lolipop lights

Hosted on Fotki

these can be found in almost any kit. the AMT ALF series has them, the AMT joker goon car, the snap 1975 blazer, lindbergs 1940 ford, ect ect.

Don't forget the Ghost Busters Ecto-1 Caddy, loads of flashers, plus a couple of light bars (MX-7000?) and what is supposed to be a Federal Propelloray or Solaray (a competitor to the Mars 888).

The AMT 1975 Blazer has a twin sonic light bar.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby ChrisMooney on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks Aaron, I almost forgot them.. The Ecto-1 has Code three XL bars in it.. This will be my new winter project of updating the list... :)
ChrisMooney

Postby Aaronw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I had to go visit with a lonely fire alarm.

A Twin sonic is also included in the Revell Midnight Cowboy wrecker and the Yodel Dodge Monaco police car.

The Ford C cab stake truck includes some small rotating lights that would work for the rotators common on the rear of fire apparatus.

The AMT 1984 GMC pickup includes several off road lights that can double as grill lights.

Not a warning device, but the AMT 1953 Ford pickup includes a gas cutting torch set.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby Dale on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

I use the rear housing of the siren that is included in the AMT Pumper/Ladder/Snorkel kits to create a MARS 888 light. Drill out the front opening to enlarge it. Insert a clear or colored rhinestone (or MV lens or colored epoxy) to create the inner "sealed beam" moving light assembly. Then top that off with a clear lens (r clear epoxy) to create the clear outer lens that was the typical lens on the "888" light. You will also need to "massage" the mounting base a little and create a flat "tapered" mounting base. This is similar to the same mounting base used on the Federal CP100 chromed siren speakers.

I'll have to take some photos of my "real" Mars 888 light and CP100 speaker sitting on the shelf for comparison and post them here for reference.
Dale

Postby ChrisMooney on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Dale wrote:I use the rear housing of the siren that is included in the AMT Pumper/Ladder/Snorkel kits to create a MARS 888 light. Drill out the front opening to enlarge it. Insert a clear or colored rhinestone (or MV lens or colored epoxy) to create the inner "sealed beam" moving light assembly. Then top that off with a clear lens (r clear epoxy) to create the clear outer lens that was the typical lens on the "888" light. You will also need to "massage" the mounting base a little and create a flat "tapered" mounting base. This is similar to the same mounting base used on the Federal CP100 chromed siren speakers.

I'll have to take some photos of my "real" Mars 888 light and CP100 speaker sitting on the shelf for comparison and post them here for reference.

Great tip!!! I forgot about making a MARS light that way.... It works great
ChrisMooney

Postby SteveG on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:55 am

Lots of kits have spotlights but what about the handles for the inside. If you have any of Lindberg's 53 Ford kits you are all set as there is pair of correct handles on the chrome tree.

In this case I used the spotlight from the Johan Police Fury. I drilled out each end and connected them with a piece of wire. Just paint the handle and there it is, one complete spotlight ready to go.

-Steve
SteveG

Postby FIREMODELMAN on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:23 am

Here is a neat way to make one of the old STERLING SIREN/LIGHTS, that ALF used almost exclusivly on the early trucks. Use the siren housing from any ALF kit, Ghostbuster's Caddy, Johan police car, Johan Rambler ambulance, Johan Caddy ambulance. The face piece that goes on the main housing, just turn it around, sand each piece flat, and glue in place. Insert a red lens, or old headlight, and your done. What I use for the base of my Siren/lights is the horn front piece off the ALF kit, I just sand it down to the angle I desire, and glue it onto the main housing. Like in this pic,

I also NEVER glue in a light, I ALWAYS use the corresponding clear paint to attach them, that way they never fog up, or get fuzzy, and always stay 'clear' looking. When making different lights, I always use 90% imagination, and 10% persperation. It sometimes goes the other way, but you get my drift. :D :D

For a Federal style speaker/siren, Use the siren housing that comes in many emergency kits, PLUS a velocity stack off of many hot rod / street rod model kits. You will have to sand the velocity stack down till it breaks through, and you have a hole, then sand off the front of the siren housing, till the two piece's match up. Glue together, and insert a small piece of round rod, or chrome sprue , and your done. Like in this pic..

FIREMODELMAN

Postby Tiny 26 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Great tips, Thanks!!
Tiny (Bionic Redneck) & Canadian Wannabe

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

tinythemodeler@yahoo.com
Tiny 26
SFH Abuse Collection Officer
SFH Abuse Collection Officer

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

If you've got some 1/32 scale Mack CF kits that have been bashed, saw off the face of the Federal Q and glue it inside one of the chrome siren pieces from the ALF kit. A bit small but makes a passable front that looks nice.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby ChrisMooney on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks Charlie!!!
ChrisMooney

Previous

Return to The Parts Bin