American LaFrance Eagle Pumper - engine 1/25 scale

Need It? Have It? Let Everyone Know Here, Be Sure To Read The Rules First.

American LaFrance Eagle Pumper - engine 1/25 scale

Postby George Ellis on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 am

Hi All

I have had this kit some time now and am about to start building and the scratch building this into a FDNY Tiller Ladder but as a unique item - commemorating the 343 fire fighters in 9/11 WTC.

The kit is good but has no engine, does anyone know where I can obtain a 1/25 scale engine suitable for this model.

Many thanks

George from Portsmouth UK
George Ellis

Re: American LaFrance Eagle Pumper - engine 1/25 scale

Postby jimb on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:04 am

I believe the standard engine that came in the American LaFrance Eagle was the Detroit Diesel Series60. Auslowe in Australia offers one and Plaskit in Canada offers one as well. You might be able to get the Aulsowe engine from Howard at Kit Form Services in England.

Jim
jimb
Captain
Captain

Postby George Ellis on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 am

Hi Jim

thanks for your help

I will look into it :) :D
George Ellis

Postby hooknladderno1 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

I recall reading of a modeler who used the AMT ALF engine as mentioned, but required removal of some of the top to provide clearance for the cab. It may have been here or at the Model Cars Magazine Forum. I will try to locate the thread.

David
hooknladderno1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby dimaxion+1 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Caution this post contains an opinion !
As anyone in the Trucking Industry could tell you I'll share with you . Any Engine you could imagine or pay for will be mounted into the Chassis . No such thing as Standard Equipment on a Custom Built or Factory Build Class 6-7-8 . I remember Marmon (nicknamed the Religious Truck) would not install a Detroit Diesel into their frames due to Warranty Issues .. Glider Kits w/ Detriot Power were beyond their control . Henderson may still have be the same Policy .
So any Power Plant you could acquire get would be right . I would believe NYC would use Cummings Fuel Squeezers at this time indicated . More and I do mean way more Fuel Efficient than Detriot . Kitty Cats would be Premium Power as in a Highway Truck . Caterpillars = Kitty Kats . Humming s = Cummings . Two Stroke Joke = Detroit . I am still disturbed American LaFrance is no more . So , where do we get New Fire Equipment these days . Japan Inc or China ? Thanx ..
dimaxion+1

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Several "made in America" fire apparatus companies still around.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby Aaronw on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Plenty of American built fire apparatus builders out there, Pierce, E-One, Seagrave, Sutphen, Smeal, KME and dozens of smaller regional builders. American LaFrance has been on a steady decline since the late 1980s, sad to see them go, but not really a surprise.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby chariots of fire on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 pm

I hear ya, Aaron. Maxim met its demise by not being able to keep up with the big boys. Their plant was small and could not produce in any real quantity. When I visited the Pierce plant in Appleton I was amazed at their processes and how things came together in modules. That was several years ago and I suspect they have made substantial changes since then. I think ALF was in the same boat as Maxim; not enough umph behind it all.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Return to The Parts Bin