Looking for 1965 Econoline Parts

Need It? Have It? Let Everyone Know Here, Be Sure To Read The Rules First.

Looking for 1965 Econoline Parts

Postby AnthonyV on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:30 pm

WHEELS
Ok, so I'm finally starting my very first project. Trouble is, none of the wheels I've purchased online are large enough for this model. It stated it was a 1:24, and the 1:24 tires I got for it look very small. I have a 1:24 tire that is about 1-1/16" in diameter, but I'm going to need ones that is about 1-1/4" that isn't a low profile, slick or racing tire. I need one that looks like the ones in the photo below. Will I have to make them from scratch? Oh boy.

MIRRORS
Does anyone know where one can find (or does anyone have to part with) the side mirrors as in the photo?

LIGHTS
Where would I get the "lollipop lights" as pictured?

Sorry for the questions guys. Just trying to get this off the ground. Thanks a million.
AnthonyV

Re: Looking for 1965 Econoline Parts

Postby towmedic on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Anthony, welcome :) you should be able to find all the parts you are looking for in many of the kits available today, emergency vehicle or not. The rims and tires from any 50's or 60's truck kit would likely work. They may also have the mirrors, but they are also easy to scratch build with some sheet styrene and wire. As for the lollipop lights, many kits offer driving lights or spotlights that can be adapted. For the red lense, any clear lense that fits or some clear epoxy, then paint with tamaya clear red. Hope this helps.
Brent
towmedic
Engineer

Postby GLMFAA1 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 am

Quite an undertaking, How are you doing the body?
As to wheels, to get a true older 1/24th wheel and tire I would suggest searching for old Monogram kits ie 55 chevy kit that have the old narrow tire and rim
As to the mirrors the closet to those are the MPC circa 70/80's dodge van mirrors.
finding glue bombs with parts would be cheaper than buying sealed kits
greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Aaronw on Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:49 pm

1 1/4" wheels would scale out to 31", that would be quite large for a 1/25 van, 31's are a popular upsized tire on many 4x4s. Are you sure about the scale, could it be 1/20. If it is a kit there was a period where some of the kit makers where trying that scale and a 1 1/4" tire scales out to 25" in 1/20 which seems a more likely size on a van.

KC off road lights can be found in some 4x4 kits and look very similar to the Dietz type lights in the photo.
Aaronw
SFH Deptuty Chief
SFH Deptuty Chief

Postby AnthonyV on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Well....the body is already made. It's not really a model, but the description read 1:24....but it's the only Econoline I've seen that can be transformed into one of our old Rescues. The thing is that any 1:24 tires look extremely small and skinny when I mock them up against the vehicle. The wheels in the front that came with the van are a hair over 1-1/8"....and the rear ones are a little over 1-1/4", but they're both low-profiles so I can't even use them.

I think the problem lies with the wheel-wells being too high. I may have to cut the bottom edge of the vehicle all around to shorten the wheel-well so that whatever tires I put on there look a little more proportionate.

Here's the vehicle:
AnthonyV

Postby fantacmet on Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:40 am

Try the ModelHaus for wheels/tires. He'll probably have exactly what you need.
fantacmet

Return to The Parts Bin