Paul Koert RIP

Important Announcements From The Website

Paul Koert RIP

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:17 pm

It is with deep regret that we report the passing of Paul Koert of Lake Hiawatha, NJ. Details are few at this time, and will be added as they are discovered.

In addition to being a long time volunteer with the Lake Hiawatha Fire Co (Parsippany NJ District 4), Paul was a phenomenal model builder in multiple scales. He was also a member of FAMBA (Fire Apparatus Model Builders Association) and the Metropolitan Miniature Fire Apparatus Association (MMFAA). Paul also owned an ALF/Dodge W-300 Power Wagon Mighty Mo that was originally operated by the Maplewood NJ FD.

While I didn't know Paul very well, I would frequently see him at wet downs and firematic events when I lived in NJ and at model shows such as the NNL-East.
Ed O'Connell
Spammer Slayer Extrordinaire

Guarding the door to the firehouse, keeping the spammers out.
Thousands of spammers "slain" since May 2010
MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Re: Paul Koert RIP

Postby GLMFAA1 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:30 pm

my condolences to Paul's family and friends, I remember only good times with Paul at Musters in New Jersey, Maryland, and Tennessee.

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1
I Live At The Scale Firehouse

Postby Daveski25 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 am

Very sad indeed! Paul's models were nothing short of exceptional, and he was the driving force behind FAMBA for many years.

Dave
Changing the world one Model Fire Truck at a Time!
Daveski25
Scale Firehouse Addict
Scale Firehouse Addict

Postby chariots of fire on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Wow! That is a shock! I have known Paul for years and recently had contact with him via the internet. I've been trying for some time to get him to show his models again of the Ludlow International Airport series he did. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I'll dig out what photos I have of his work and post them in due time.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 am

Ed O'Connell

MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby chariots of fire on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Any chance you can post that, Ed? You have to sign in or register to read anything on that site.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Paul Koert loved fire apparatus

By RON JEFFERS New Jersey Editor

1st Responder Newspaper Story Number 020915127
Disclaimer: This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

He loved to take photos and make detailed models of fire apparatus. He was an engineer at his firehouse, taking care of the rigs, plus, his private car always shined with pride. Paul Koert, a member of Lake Hiawatha Fire District 4, in Parsippany, passed away at his home on February 8th.

In addition to his love for fire trucks, he loved motor vehicles in general. He was often seen at fire apparatus musters and transportation shows along the East Coast. He also purchased his own apparatus-former Maplewood Engine 4's unique 1964 Dodge Power wagon mini-pumper. That model was known as Little Moe. He proudly took it to shows and parades, unless he considered it “too dirty.” Even the hose in the bed was clean and properly tucked in.

He was a well known model builder and assembled many scratch built, or customized, models of fire apparatus for himself and for other collectors. He was a member of the former Fire Apparatus Model Builders Association (FAMBA) and served as a newsletter editor. In addition, he also was a member of the the Antique Fire Association of New Jersey (AFANJ) and participated in many of that organization's committees and newsletter. He was also a New Jersey Metro Photographers Association (NJMFPA) member.

Paul's love for fire trucks began as a youth growing up in Paterson. He watched those big, red Ahrens Fox piston pumpers (with the big ball on the front) racing to alarms of fire in the busy industrial city, and he never lost his interest.

He loved to properly pose, and photograph, fire apparatus and had a vast collection of photos and apparatus brochures. He attended many “death march” fire photo trips with his fellow apparatus photographer friends. One of the highlights of the year was meeting Pennsylvania friends Brian Glasmire, Mike Krupilis and Cary Murray, to attend the Fire Expo in Harrisburg, and formerly in Lancaster County. He would attend the show to check on firefighting equipment or ideas and prices to bring home, and meet his many Fire Service friends and vendors attending the event. Then it was time to go outside and hit the firehouses for photos. Is the sun out? If not, there was a visit to the Harrisburg Fire Museum, or food buffing, and praying for the clouds to part.

Paul was also an excellent artist. He had a sideline job of creating the art work for mugs for fire department wet downs and parades. Some of his best work appeared on mugs made for the Newark Fire Department's Historical Association annual June muster, of the city's former apparatus, from the late 1980's to 2000. His art work didn't stop there. He made fire and security maps, including one for the firehouse showing fire hydrant locations and other first responder information.

Some 20-plus years ago he met Virginia Beach Firefighter Martin Grube while on vacation and, of course, stopping at the local firehouse. That meeting grew into a life-long friendship. Grube and other Virginia firefighters formed a bond with Paul and members of the New Jersey Metro Fire Photographers Association that still exist today. Grube is now the executive producer of Fire Rescue TV.

Paul Koert's name was known by many apparatus buffs and members of the fire apparatus industry around the country. His talents and dedication to the Fire Service will be missed by many.

For those of you of an older generation that attended fire shows in the 1980's and 90's, are familiar with Marilyn and Gil's Fire Station. The couple traveled all along the East Coast attending firematic shows and selling fire service novelty items. Paul was close to both of them, and traveled to their upstate New York home to pay them a visit, besides seeing them at events. I'm sure they are all together now in a better place, and Paul is keeping M&G up on all of the new toys and products.

Rest in Peace, Paul.
Ed O'Connell

MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby EdselDan on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:35 am

I didn't sign in and still have to page up since my earlier check in here
seeing the link.

Wish I had had the chance to meet him.
Dan from DelMarVa
My Photobucket:
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/
It’s too late for when and how. People we must understand
child labour it has to end. Raise our voices, let’s all shout:
http://pocomokefire.com/
EdselDan
Captain
Captain

Postby chariots of fire on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks for posting, Ed.
Charlie Rowley
(Chariots of Fire)
chariots of fire

Postby MMFAAFireModel on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm

From Paul's Fire Company Facebook Page:

Lake Hiawatha Fire Department, Parsippany Fire District 4

In the days following Paul's passing, many members have been honoring Paul by sharing stories as well as preparing our engine for his ride to his final resting place.

Paul was a great asset to this department. It is safe to say that if it were not for him many of our best pump operators and drivers would not be as good as they are.

Paul had a great love for this fire department as well as the fire service in general. He always kept on us to be the best as we possibly could. He took great pride in spending countless hours mentoring our members on so many different things that we couldn't possibly mention them all.

Paul will be greatly missed, but surely never forgotten.

We have dedicated each one of our apparatus in memory of him by placing his initials on the driver doors. He will be our "Forever Driver."

Rest Easy HPK.
Ed O'Connell

MMFAAFireModel
Spammer Slayer
Spammer Slayer

Postby GLMFAA1 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 pm

May he rest in peace, May his talents be forever remembered

greg
Stars at night. You see them due to the light traveling from them. What you see is the stars past. If you are seeing a star that's 6,000 yrs ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They'd be seeing us as 6,000 yrs ago. Which of those two is now?
GLMFAA1

Return to From The Chiefs